The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's your favorite snare sound? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 18th February 2011
Gear Maniac

For the project I drum on, this is the type of snare tone I'm always striving for.

Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

TGIsF ----- YouTube - Killing Joke - The Gathering ----- YouTube - Adam Ant - Puss 'N Boots ----- YouTube - Madonna - Borderline ----- YouTube - The Ventures Live: Wipe Out ----- Snare sound beauty (or awesomeness) is in the ear (or mind?) of the beholder.
Old 18th February 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnite View Post
This one's easy for me: Al Jackson on Al Green's "Love and Happiness." A fatter snare there never was.

I also like just about every sound ?uest Love has ever gotten out of a snare.
**** yeah! And Let's stay togethe! rAnybody know how they got this? Did he hit the tom at the same time as the snare? or was it a blanket over the snare? cause there's a ring like a tom but still a thud like a dead snare

I like anyting Ethan Johns does. I believe he plays the drums on a lot of it so that would have a lot to do with it. also, Bonzo, Ringo. Charlie Watts snare on honky tonk women. Butch trucks. Kenny Arnoff. Matt chamberlain, who I believe played on the aforementioned PEarl Jam vs. album. .............on and on.
Old 18th February 2011
Here for the gear

At Action Park by Shellac and In Utero by Nirvana. Steve Albini's drum sound is my absolute favorite.
Old 19th February 2011
Duncan Sheik - Good Morning
Lyle Lovett - Church
Heatmiser - Bottle Rocket
Jellyfish - She Still Loves Him
Jonatha Brooke - Hearsay
Living Colour - Funny Vibe
Talking Heads - Love for Sale (kick too)
Old 19th February 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuLio View Post
Jellyfish - She Still Loves Him

I love Jellyfish so had to check out once I saw your mention of it. It's good! Interesting panning during the early verse.
Old 20th February 2011
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinAudio View Post
For the project I drum on, this is the type of snare tone I'm always striving for.

Thats a cool sound! Reminds me of a KM84.
Old 20th February 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinAudio View Post

That is one beautiful song and equally beautiful snare sound. Did you record that at Penguin Audio? Details please! Mic, pre comp, eq, ect.!!!!

Even though you could argue that recording drums today is superior to yesteryear, I still have a fondness from those recordings from the 60's and 70's. I am still amazed at the snare sound on The Stones " Beast of Burden". I also dig the sounds on all the old CCR recordings and of course The Beatles as they set the standard. For a real dry sound, Fleatwood Mac "Rumors" and the early Dire Staits do it for me.

For modern recordings, and there are many I like but in particular I dig Mark Knopflers disk "Shangri-La".
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear

Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy the repeated fundamental note of an open snare ? I love the sound of a damped snare which COILS snappingly. Snare blasphemy ? Mwahahahahahahahaha.... (that's the reverb I add to it !...)
Old 20th February 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
The snare on "One Headlight."
The Wallflowers: 'Bringing Down the Horse' album
If I remember correct, Matt Chamberlain in an interview with Modern Drummer said the snare on "One Headlight" was a Noble & Cooley piccolo that just happens to have an extra butt cheek

He also mentioned that it took several takes and wasn't happening until they decided to not use any cymbal crashes.
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear

Macca's drumming....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewgrass View Post
Trip! Also Back in the USSR.... I guess I'll have to read more on the Beatles... It still has the same sound overall... maybe the same kit?
And Paul also played drums on 'The ballad of John and Yoko' which is one of my fave drumtracks, the two snare hits @ 1.43 are one of my fave Beatles moments.

My second fave is probably 'Back in the USSR' followed closely by 'Tomorrow never knows'. So two out of three of my fave Beatles drumtracks are not even palyed by the 'drummer' in the band?! Of course, I love Ringo's playing but given that he also was/is one of the greatest bass players, singers and not to shabby a songwriter ...well, I would say that Paul Mc Cartney IS indeed a genius.
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear

Here's another fave, Levon Helm on the Band's 'Up on cripple creek', though I find it hard to single the snare here because the whole drum part is SO great...and then he SINGS as well.

Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear
The type of snares off 311 and Slipnot tracks I like. Real tight.

I also really like Venetian Snares. hahahaha
Old 22nd February 2011
Here for the gear

In Utero - Nirvana

I'm personally skeptical about the fact that Dave actually played on this record. I personally think they sampled a few shotguns and mixed them well enough with the sound of an atomic bomb. Albini does strange things, in strange ways.

1970 Royal Albert Hall - Led Zeppelin

I can't believe how perfect Bonham's snare is tuned here. I have a 402 as well and have still not been able to achieve that perfect sound. It's most likely because I'm not Bonham or Orcheltree.
Old 22nd February 2011
Lives for gear

Even as a total fanatic of 1980's music, I can certainly admit that the big snare verb trend from that decade goes just a *little* too far here. --- YouTube - Madonna - Live To Tell --- Shame, because it's a truly *great* pop song IMO - written by Patrick Leonard & Madonna. --- Across the pond, Trevor Horn and his co-workers showed a little more restraint in tweaking the wet:dry ratio for a classic pop song by ABC. When the verb kicks in during the instrumental sections, snare track levels are more moderate and then it politely halts it's cavernousness, allowing one of my fave snare sounds : damped, coiled, organic and crisp. --- YouTube - All of My Heart --- The Lexicon of Love - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ---
Old 23rd February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Thats a cool sound! Reminds me of a KM84.
Sounds like the snare on the Eagles "The Long Run" album back in 1976.
Old 23rd February 2011
Here for the gear

Levon Helm Takes the cake in my opinion!
Old 23rd February 2011
Gear Addict

Boston - Boston

Doesn't get ANY better.
Old 23rd February 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Musicfan View Post
TGIsF ----- YouTube - Killing Joke - The Gathering ----- YouTube - Adam Ant - Puss 'N Boots ----- YouTube - Madonna - Borderline ----- YouTube - The Ventures Live: Wipe Out ----- Snare sound beauty (or awesomeness) is in the ear (or mind?) of the beholder.
So, what you're says is that you love snares with TONS of digital reverb,

and the Ventures.
Old 23rd February 2011
Lives for gear

for a recent release i like the Black Country Communion snare sound..
Old 23rd February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
So, what you're says is that you love snares with TONS of digital reverb, ...
You may say that I'm a digital snare reverbizer, but I'm not the only one...
Old 23rd February 2011
Lives for gear

"You Don't Know How It Feels" - Tom Petty
Old 13th April 2011
Here for the gear

What about Ricky Ficarelli? He does a lot of drum covers on YouTube and I think his snare sound is awesome imo. What do you guys think?

here's the direct link if the enbedded video doesn't work.

YouTube - Ricky - BLINK 182 - What's My Age Again? (Drum Cover)
Old 13th April 2011
I must say, I LOVE the snare sound on the new Foo Fighters record.
Old 13th April 2011
Gear Addict

Al Jackson Jr.

period...

who else is obsessed with his snare sound? I drove 1000 km back home yesterday with a band on tour, and I had to listen to music quietly because everyone was sleeping in the back... Did 3 Al Green albums, and all you could hear at that volume on the small speakers were snare and voice... it didn't get old.
Old 14th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybaggadonuts View Post
**** yeah! And Let's stay togethe! rAnybody know how they got this? Did he hit the tom at the same time as the snare? or was it a blanket over the snare? cause there's a ring like a tom but still a thud like a dead snare
Yes, he hit a tom along with the snare.
Old 14th April 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
Snare sounds also comes from the player as in attack, the strike... best attack player in the world, Stewart Copeland and Neil Peart.
I think its more that they tune the drum much higher.
they had a hell of a time getting a good sound on moving pictures cause neil would not tune it lower.
Old 27th April 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
I love snares. It all depends on what day you ask me this question as to what I like. I must say that I find Nick Mason's snares on DSOTM and The Wall to be very pleasing. I think the key to his sound is that he is not a basher.
I agree but.. the snare sound on DSOM is because of the work of the sound engineers like Alan Parsons and such., in fact , I think the engineers are responsible for almost all snare sounds in "Records" with micing and all (again I agree, of course the tuning, the way drummer hits the sweet spot etc... as well)

If you listen to Pulse Live album, the snare sound is crap!!.. again played by Mason himself!

I dont think they can recreate that DSOM album since the technology is in a different stage now!.
Old 28th April 2011
Lives for gear

This will seem out of left field... but last Yuletide season, I heard the Wilson Phillips song "Dear Santa" and I was amazed at how great the snare sounded!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search