The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
tiny mics for binural headset Condenser Microphones
Old 8th April 2004
Gear Addict

tiny mics for binural headset

Howdy folks,

Am looking to prototype a binural headset for some realtime audio capture and manipulation stuff. Its application is for simulation and gaming.

Was wondering if anyone had some recommendations for some very small profile, high fidelity mics.

Appreciate the help.
Old 8th April 2004
Gear Addict

The other catch is that it has to be omni.....

Most tiny mics I've found are uni.
Old 8th April 2004
Lives for gear

there are some omni dpa 4060's that would be awesome. You could also try a cheaper route and try the core sound binaural set. I think they sound surprisingly good for as cheap as they are.
Frost
Old 9th April 2004
Here for the gear

I've been very impressed with my OKM 'earplug' mics.
Old 9th April 2004
Lives for gear

Ive heard some great stuff recorded with these:

http://sonicstudios.com/

Also Sanken and Sennheiser both make some very small lavalier mics which I beleive are omni.
Old 9th April 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Frost
there are some omni dpa 4060's that would be awesome. You could also try a cheaper route and try the core sound binaural set. I think they sound surprisingly good for as cheap as they are.
Frost
FWIW,

I tried the Core Sound Binaural set: too noisy for critical stuff, tho they did sound damn good on louder sources. I settled with DPA 4060's: they really are remarkable, tho still a bit noisy for subtle sounds/ambience: this is being quite critical tho - I don't know any other tiny mics that compare to them, and their price is reasonable - I think they'd be a good investment for reality/gaming sound design: they can mount on sunglasses/ballcap/helmet/etc. - perfect, discreet, and pretty cheap for what you get.

My .02 cents

best of luck,
Old 9th April 2004
Gear Addict

Sennheiser MKE-2: Great sounding mics...changeable response curves with accessory windscreens. This is deliberate, not a design flaw.
Sanken COS-11: Good sounding mics...bendable in post, but a little flat-sounding in the field.
PSC Millimic: Smallest of the lot...a bit noisy with low-level sources...more so than the DPA.
Sony ECM-77... only if you have to.
AKG C407(8?)... ok sounding...not many accessories.

DHughes, for your application, the DPA is probably the business. Those mentioned above are for comparison, should you need to narrow the field for a shoot-out. Be aware that all of these mics HATE wind, and windsocks change the sound of the mics greatly.
Best of luck...sounds like an interesting project.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 9th April 2004
Gear Addict

Thanks everyone. I think the DPA should be well within the budget. I let you all know how it turns out.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search