The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MCU anger....Im fed up Control Surfaces
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

MCU anger....Im fed up

Right...So I had 5 (im on my 6th one) MCU's break on me. All of which broke due to faulty faders. The store always treated me well and just swapped the units over...The final unit I got has been fine so far (3 months now).

What I failed to realise is...during all this swapping of units, they have discontinued my MCU and brought out the MCU pro.

I didnt see the big deal at 1st but now its dawning on me. I wanted to add some extenders to my MCU ...it's almost impossible, no shop has them and I dont trust 2nd hand ones due to the faulty fader issues I had. And that was with a NEW unit, I dont need the stress of faulty 2nd hand units.
Then I thought of buying a C4 to control my plugins...cant do that now as the original MCU C4 doesn't support my DAW of choice Cubase Sx3.

I am angry. My fault partly for buying at the wrong time but then again I didnt know the PRO was coming out. Now i'm hearing the PRO is going to get support for FL Studio 7. GRRRRRR The other piece of software I own.

FED UPPPPPPPPPPP .. Had to share the anger with people who at least know what im talking about lol. If i tried to share this anger with my friends or family they would just look at me all confused
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

I guess this thread may get moved....but, are you saying that the original MCU does not support MCU Pro extender faders units?

And is the software being written to use with FL studio 7 not usable on the original MCU?

Sounds a bit harsh, I will have to get some more info.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

i just had to moan...im angry with the situation in general.

As for the Flstudio issue, im worried they wont bring out the lexan cover for the old one...
Old 17th August 2007
Jai guru deva om

I've seen a few problems but nothing like 5 out of 6 units.

Also, Mackie does have units in stock (doesn't mean the UK dealers do) so they are still available (old MCU XT unit).

War
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Just a note to say i think they must have a bad batch. I bought a logic control second hand, about 3 years ago and use it every day, and have had no problems. I am hoping for another 3 years of problem free use... and i am going to grab a couple of XT's once i swap the powermac for a mac pro...

Take it easy...
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

From what I gathered the fader issue was either faulty batch OR the firmware update 2.12

The store told me to try not to update it past 2.11 and that seems to have done the trick. The unit I have now is the only one I havent updated past 2.11 and has worked solid for 3 months now (one fader crapped out on me but I just moved it up and down a bit and it worked again)

But I still say i have back luck lol...I mean 5 units man.... I spent like £80 on petrol alone going back and forth to the shop. I should of told them to keep it after the 2nd unit and pay the difference for the Pro... at least its not a dying product like the MCU. Say what you want but I reckon 3 months and Mackie wont give 2 sods bout old MCU users. But they will STILL charge £10 for the leftover Lexan covers they have....

Sorry if I sound like a stubborn angry fool but... the whole situation gets me pretty P*ssed. And where else can I come and moan about these things ... at least thats got me smiling. I have a rant zone
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Welcome to the digital age-- Disposable crap

I had a MCU and had the fader problem which was repaired. Subsequently, it has worked very well. I really like the unit and will probably continue to use it until it fails and then off to the land fill to join the piles of digital appliances that become obsolete before it becomes fully utilized..... Welcome to the digital age. It ain't going to get better folks.... Look at how quickly the computer model becomes antiquated. My G5 DAW was "old stuff" before I figured out how to really use it.

But there are a very few things that are digital that are actually made well but expect to pay a premium price, e.g. RADAR, older Lexicon.

my 2cents and rant of the morning
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

What IS the difference between the original and the pro anyway? The pro desn't seem to have any new controls, just a cosmetic change. Are there any internal improvements, or is it just marketing?
I ask because I've been planning to get a Command 8, but the expandablity of the Mackie might just get me if the new ones are more reliable. Banking faders isn't too big a deal, but it would sway me in the other direction if all other factors are equal.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear
I have the emagic branded Logic Control, 3 xt's and just added a C4. Never a problem, but for one wall-wart powersupply crapping and needing replacement ($70 from the factory??!!). Your luck is stunningly bad; I've never heard of anything like it when it comes to these units.

From what I've reckoned, the differences between the old grey/blue MCU's that we know and love and the new "Pro" ones is that the new one (a) is "brushed aluminum"; (b) uses lighted buttons instead of small LEDs on the panel; (c) has a slightly higher-resolution display; (d) runs off USB rather than MIDI. The panel layouts are identical, and it seems people are using the Pro units in place of the old ones in a swap-out manner, with no issues and no added benefits, either.

I don't think this is the end of the world for dinosaurs like us. Oh, and hint: buy secondhand. I've now bought 2 xt's and the c4 secondhand without incident. Then again, there's that issue of luck to consider, though.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

lolol yeah man, the issue of luck is what scares me. I've had 2 really crapy years now full of bad luck. When some stuff starts to go well...i'll get an xt (seeing as c4 isnt supported in sx3)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search