The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drawmer : MX30 or DL241 ?
View Poll Results: which one would you choose (and why) ?
MX30
10 Votes - 37.04%
DL241
17 Votes - 62.96%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Drawmer : MX30 or DL241 ?

Hi

I am on the point of buying a compressor/limiter to use on electronic drums, synth basses and mixdown (multiple tracks out of the mixer) for home studio use.

I have nice propositions for 2 used drawmer compressors, and i don't really know which one to choose, as both seem very similar...
Could you tell me a little more & give me some advices ?

The 2 units are the Drawmer MX30 and the drawmer DL241.
Both have good reviews and seem to suit my needs (efficient comp + limiting), and i have read the SOS review where Paul SMith says the limiter on the Mx-30 is great.
My only fear is that the mx30 doesn't have manual attack & release settings, but on the other hand, some reviews they say that the DL241 even works better in automatic mode... Plus, i have the impression that the MX-30 is the same than the DL241 without manual attack & release : is that right ?

Some people is selling me the MX30 for 340$, and the DL241 for 280 : what do you all comp guru think ?
Old 16th August 2007
Gear addict

You'll have a lot more creative options for electronic drums and synths with manual attack and release controls. And $280 for a DL241 sounds like a bargain to me.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Thank you for the reply.

This is indeed quite obvious. My dilemma is that i already have some non-transparent pumping compressors, so i would like to go for something smoother (but with a lot of punch nonetheless), and i am wondering if for such a task both Mx-30 and DL241 would work the same way (they seem very identical from the tech spec) ?
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kragg View Post
Thank you for the reply.

This is indeed quite obvious. My dilemma is that i already have some non-transparent pumping compressors, so i would like to go for something smoother (but with a lot of punch nonetheless), and i am wondering if for such a task both Mx-30 and DL241 would work the same way (they seem very identical from the tech spec) ?

The DL241XLR sounds better, works better. That's the one.
Brad
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

THank you, Brad, for your opinion.

So : 2 votes for the DL241 ?

Could you tell me a little bit more : in what way / in which circumstances does it sound better ?
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

no question: 241
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kragg View Post
THank you, Brad, for your opinion.

So : 2 votes for the DL241 ?

Could you tell me a little bit more : in what way / in which circumstances does it sound better ?
In every circumstance and every way. Th MX30 was a lower cost version of the 241 and was built with compomises in mind.
Brad
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Ok
THank you all !
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

It was quite a long time ago when I used MX-30 and DL-241, but all in all they share similar sonical character, 241 being more versatile and costed more.
Never didn't find much use of them, but at low price it's definitely not mistake to grab any of them. Not many competitors to them in 300$ range for stereo compressor nowdays.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search