The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1176 or Distressor.... ???
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Addict

1176 or Distressor.... ???

Am curious as to which you would use and why. (for those who have used both, please) An 1176 (any model) or, a Distressor. on snare and or, kik ( for rock or, metal) ....

Seems as though both do very well here. so my emphasis of question is...... which do YOU prefer... and, why? thanks for your comments. -klauth.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Depends on the snare or kick. Get both.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

1176 for the tonal mojo alone. It is a must have box, I love mine(it's a vintage)...that being said I want to buy a distressor too.
Old 16th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klauth View Post
Am curious as to which you would use and why. (for those who have used both, please) An 1176 (any model) or, a Distressor. on snare and or, kik ( for rock or, metal) ....

Seems as though both do very well here. so my emphasis of question is...... which do YOU prefer... and, why? thanks for your comments. -klauth.
These days i will use 1176's once in a blue moon for tracking(usually when an La2a doesn't work). In the mix on a snare mult(purple MC76) for some "pow" or part of double compressor chain on a lead vocal(my favorite for this is the blue stripe).

The Distressors(which i own 4) i mainly use in places where i would normally use the SSL channel compressor. I can make it pretty much react the same way. This would be mostly on kicks or snare or acoustic guitars or at the end of double compressor chain on bass or lead vocal. I also will use a modded distressor on a lead vocal with the side chain engaged if i need clean,crisp compression but the compression has to be EQ dependent.

Nothing really fancy.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Addict

I have 4 distressors and two 1176's. love'm both....... just wondering what others are favoring these days(as far as trends go)..... alwast looking for new ideas..... Thanx thrill for the detail....thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search