The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools playlists DAW Software
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear
Pro Tools playlists

I'm using PT day in and day out, and one feature that I use ALL the time is the playlists, you know for comping drums/vocals/solos.....yada yada yada,
I'm sure many people do this....

I've done a little bit of research, and save investing in every other DAW software package out there, I can't seem to find another DAW with such a slick playlist functionality.
I realize with unlimited track counts these days you can approximate the same thing, but how are you non-Pro Tools guys doing it?? Which DAW??

It would be helpful also not to have any "get the musicians to play it right" comments here......I know it's tempting to say, but we'll assume that's a given
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

It's a great feature, and one of the major reasons why I couldn't bring myself to move away from PT despite being sick of the cash drain.

I wish they would impliment a key command to move 'up' and 'down' playlists on a selected track. That would be cool.

J
Old 16th August 2007
TRW
Lives for gear

Love the playlists.

Being able to simultaneously create new ones on multiple targetted tracks is uberquick in a session.

However could someone clear something up for me?

If you have multiple playlists on one track and then want to say copy a verse and move to after the third chorus...

When selecting the regions I want across multiple tracks - I click on the regions I want...but when I copy and move only the visible selections are copied. Any playlist stacking is ignored. Which makes sense..but without a way of making the selection ripple through all the playlists behind its easy to turn the session into a cluster**** when not paying attention...

Do you have to shift-click on each playlist to ensure they move as well...tell me there is a key command for that - I couldn't find one?

Someone help a brother out - sorry if thats OT - just didn't find a quick solution.

Not aware of any software that handles audio as well as PT though.

Auto drop in Logic isn't too bad but it chews screen real estate and I'm NOT keen on logic in general.

Don't remember if Cubase4 has playlists or not - still stuck on v1!! LOL Multiple tracks there but never in a speedy session - just at home. PT all the way for speed in a real tracking situation.

Thanks Tom
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrick View Post
[...] I can't seem to find another DAW with such a slick playlist functionality."
Digital Performer has such a feature (had it for years, in fact) — in DP it’s referred to as “Takes.”

IHTH.
Old 16th August 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Playlists are one of the big reasons I didn't switch to Nuendo/Cubase. Total dealbreaker for me. Nuendo/Cubase has lanes, but it's not the same thing by a long shot.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search