The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Couple of questions on switching voltages and fuse values Utility Plugins
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Couple of questions on switching voltages and fuse values

I’ve just taken delivery of an API A2D. I’m hoping that someone can help me with a couple of questions regarding AC power and fuse values.

1. The A2D has a sliding switch to select between 115 volts and 230 volts. Here in Australia, we run a 240 volt AC electricity grid. Here’s my question: after setting the unit’s selector switch to 230 volts, is it OK to supply it with 240 volts?

2 Regarding the fuse: should the value of the fuse be dependent on the amount of AC voltage? That is, can you run the same fuse regardless of whether you’re supplying it with 115 volts or 230/240 volts?? I’ve checked the manual on this, and it’s not quite clear. It says “Only replace with the proper fuse for the appropriate AC input” – it provides no other info. On the back of the A2D itself, printed below the fuse holder, is the following “T 0.5A/0.25A 250V”. Cue the Bill Cosby “Noah” sketch……. “RIIIIIIIGHT”.

Cheers.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Google: Ohm's law

Twice the voltage will mean it will draw half as much current to get the same job done. Cut the 110V fuse value in half for 220V (ish).
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

240 is fine with 230 rated stuff...

just look at some other equipment you have and you will see that there is aways a variation.

about the fuse though???? F nose.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search