The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Syncing Tape Machines Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Syncing Tape Machines

Hi, I have two 8-track 1/2" TASCAM 48's.

My tech friend brought up the idea of syncing the two machines to make a combined 12 tracks.

Is that more hassle than it's worth?
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Guru

Yes. Syncronizing tape machines successfully requires a lot of hardware syncronizers, specialized cables, house sync, and a lot of specialized knowledge. You're better off selling the machines and buying a 2" 16 track.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Yes. Syncronizing tape machines successfully requires a lot of hardware syncronizers, specialized cables, house sync, and a lot of specialized knowledge. You're better off selling the machines and buying a 2" 16 track.
That's what I was thinking. Of course i just had my first compressor repaired. I'm not all that into wierd science.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post

Syncing machines is high on the list of things I don't miss from the "good old days".

P.S.- 8+8=16 Minus one track per machine for SMPTE leaves 14, not 12. You just have to be careful what you put next to the SMPTE.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search