The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What vocal mic did Anthony Kiedis use on Blood Sugar Sex Magik....? Dynamic Microphones
Old 22nd January 2014
Kedis

I went to a drum clinic Chad gave forever ago and between shouts of "Breaking the Girl!" someone said they thought Anthony was a good singer. Chad said, "He tries."

I've also heard someone mention (in a vid?) that, more or less, Kedis is aware of his vocal shortcomings and suggested in-ear monitors for those with pitch problems. Additionally there is a SoS article about the recording of Californication in which the engineer mentions the daily presence of Anthony's vocal coach.

At least he tries.

Listen to their old **** and ask yourself if he ever expected to become a balladeer. Mariah Carey sure ain't got karate stage moves like him.

I heard he uses the SM7b but in that SoS the guy says SM57. Some of you know they're somewhat similar in terms of components. In what I heard there's not a gigantic difference between the two. The 7 seems to make more sense since he's known to "eat" his mic and the construction of it (and the pop filter) help manage this.
Old 22nd January 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
Noooo..Kiedis provides a massive vibe to that band that nobody else could do. Sure, he is not a great singer, but at the same time he is...he is unique and makes the band stand out. Just go see them live, and you will get it..he actually sung very well when I saw them a few months ago.
+1

We can talk all day about how mediocre kiedis's voice is......although there are certain songs where his voice is perfect for the song.

But nobody could front a funk/punk/rock band like he can. Nobody. Kiedis is a true frontman and entertains.
Old 25th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by claend View Post

HAHAHAAAA... ok sorry. No excuses... Now I get the hole meaning of a brainfart...

ANd yes you're right, he's weak. Going now, quickly...
I come frequently to this thread to remind myself how stupid I am. HAhaaa
Old 25th January 2014
This thread is really funny...
Old 25th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurratic View Post
+1

We can talk all day about how mediocre kiedis's voice is......although there are certain songs where his voice is perfect for the song.

But nobody could front a funk/punk/rock band like he can. Nobody. Kiedis is a true frontman and entertains.
Agreed. And BSSM is one hell of an album, my fave by far. After that it seemed to me that they tried hard to become a 'song-band' and Kiedis is definitely not the right singer for that.

A while ago I downloaded two BSSM outtakes that are available on iTunes, two Hendrix covers, 'Castles made of sand' and (if memory serves) 'Little Miss Lover'. One reason I don't like most any Hendrix covers is not the guitar playing but Jimi's voice. I think he was the most underrated singer ever: Such a warm and smooth tone and great phrasing. Yet folks always say that 'Hendrix couldn't sing', what BS.

Whenever 'real' singers cover Hendrix, say Sting or Paul Rodgers I often thought that it was much too grandiose, it just didn't fit. Kiedis on the other hand totally NAILS it on these versions, at least that's my opinion.

Old 9th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Agreed. And BSSM is one hell of an album, my fave by far. After that it seemed to me that they tried hard to become a 'song-band' and Kiedis is definitely not the right singer for that.

A while ago I downloaded two BSSM outtakes that are available on iTunes, two Hendrix covers, 'Castles made of sand' and (if memory serves) 'Little Miss Lover'. One reason I don't like most any Hendrix covers is not the guitar playing but Jimi's voice. I think he was the most underrated singer ever: Such a warm and smooth tone and great phrasing. Yet folks always say that 'Hendrix couldn't sing', what BS.

Whenever 'real' singers cover Hendrix, say Sting or Paul Rodgers I often thought that it was much too grandiose, it just didn't fit. Kiedis on the other hand totally NAILS it on these versions, at least that's my opinion.

Funny cause Hendrix never considered him much of a singer. People who say "such and such can't sing" can generally not be considered to know Dicks from dictaphones. Like you mention, sometimes you need someone who "can't play right" to play certain things right. Imagine Kurt Cobain trying to become Andres Segovia or Janis Joplin trying to be a Barbara Streisand. Fools. Quit your day job I say.
Old 9th February 2014
Lives for gear

Keidis has soul for days as a singer. Technically limited? Absolutely. But his emotional range, his humanity as a singer, his phrasing and innate musicality are absolutely immense. For a rap-funk yeller to deliver all time great vocal performances such as Scar Tissue, Under The Bridge, Californication is kind of amazing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search