The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rihanna's Umbrella - Mandy Moore cover Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Rihanna's Umbrella - Mandy Moore cover

Anyway you cut it, this song is stellar.

Click here for Mandy Moore's Umbrella cover.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Heat View Post

Whoa!

I have never really listened to the lyrics of that song - (just dug the melody line) but they are actually not bad.

Great cover.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Thats not bad at all!
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

I kinda like Marie Digby's version a little better. I actually didn't care for the song until I heard it played by a live band. So much better than the original for me.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmiller View Post
I kinda like Marie Digby's version a little better. I actually didn't care for the song until I heard it played by a live band. So much better than the original for me.
The Digby version is nowhere near as 'hypnotic' as the original chart smash and it has not the ballad stylee emotional intensity of Mandy Moore's.

She's a cute chick tho.

Hmm, I feel a long thread a comin' - Hey, hey hey...
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

funny, i just learned the song on acoustic today so i could play it as more of a rock version for fun w/ people. its good to know pop songs on acoustic when playin for the ladies

seems to me mandy moores band messed around a tiny bit w/ the chord structure of the song here and there. nothing drastic though.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
The Digby version is nowhere near as 'hypnotic' as the original chart smash and it has not the ballad stylee emotional intensity of Mandy Moore's.

She's a cute chick tho.

Hmm, I feel a long thread a comin' - Hey, hey hey...
I appreciate your opinion. but for me it's the only one that doesn't bore me. I can't really listen to the original at all. I have tried, but I always have to change the station before I get to the end. yet with Digby's I can't stop listneing. It really brings out the song for me and puts some real feeling into it. But that's me. Anything that is jsut 4 minutes of a 4 bar loop bores me even if the vocals are a little interesting.

Unfortunately I have been unable to find the Digby version online. All I find is here playing acoustic on myspace and a clip from the Carson daily show. If anyone has a video clip from the recorded version, please let me know!
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

That's awesome. I always liked Mandy Moore.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Really interesting. I love the song, period.

edit: Colin, if you succeeded in listening to the original, you'd see it's not a 4-bar loop the whole time.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I...Unfortunately I have been unable to find the Digby version online. All I find is here playing acoustic on myspace and a clip from the Carson daily show. If anyone has a video clip from the recorded version, please let me know!
My Bad - Oh! I only heard the 'acoustic' myspace version, thought that was what you were refering to...

Is there a better one?
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Maniac

i think i like the original more, but MM's version is not bad at all. I think it just goes to prove that even what seems to be a mindless pop tune on the surface, could actually have some depth, and be based on a good song. i mean, there's at least 2 full threads on this song here on GS alone. so for anything to be that succesful (commercially) and get this much discussion, well, something was done right. on the otherhand, Allanis M's version of "my humps" was more of a farce, and the origianl song was just as successful. but to me is more memorable for the basic riff, where as "umbrella" actually has more song structure to it, if not that obvious in the single.

I think in the long run "umbrella" will be more memorable. its still bubble gum, but at least has some substance. I mean, (and please don't flame, its just an opinion) what was the beatles' "i want to hold your hand". just a catchy riff over basic chords. and i'm sure if there was a GS back then, there would be endless threads bitching and moaning about it too..
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
My Bad - Oh! I only heard the 'acoustic' myspace version, thought that was what you were refering to...

Is there a better one?

It's basically a live band. Vocal, Drums, Bass, Acoustic guitar, and B3. I have only heard it on the radio, but didn't know who the artist was until today (so maybe I can now go try and buy it). I love it, but I imagine many people willl hate it. It's just pretty neat to me because it amazes me how much difference a production/arrangement can make to where one version puts me to sleep while another gets me really inspired. I like the Mandy verion as well, it's just that the Marie one is the same tempo as the original so it's not a ballad.

Someone mentioned the original being more than a 4 bar loop. While the comment was obviously not meant to be taken literally, I don't count cuts.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Wow, great waking up like this thumbsup

I like Mandy's version Moore!
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Wow!

Kinda reminds me of how gary jules did that cover of mad world. First rate!
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Very nice.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear
Damn..everybody is covering Umbrella...thats just a sign of how great it was written IMO.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
Damn..everybody is covering Umbrella...thats just a sign of how great it was written IMO.
For sure. That's the kind of hit I wanna write
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by qubi View Post
I mean, (and please don't flame, its just an opinion) what was the beatles' "i want to hold your hand". just a catchy riff over basic chords. and i'm sure if there was a GS back then, there would be endless threads bitching and moaning about it too..
Not flaming you, but I think I Want To Hold Your Hand has a more original chord progression and melody, and I think it's all around way way better, not that it matters at all.

I agree, there probably would be endless threads about how awful and trite The Beatles were (or are), but seriously, can you not mention them again in this thread. It's making me queasy. Thanks.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
I agree, there probably would be endless threads about how awful and trite The Beatles were (or are), but seriously, can you not mention them again in this thread. It's making me queasy. Thanks.
Yeh. Let's get back to the real discussion of this thread... Methlab's avatar!!!

Ooops.

Sorry, I mean, Mandy Moore's cover of Umbrella

BTW Methlab - Does this girl have a 'series' of photo's by chance? I'm not the only one who's found her quite mesemerising...
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeh. Let's get back to the real discussion of this thread... Methlab's avatar!!!

BTW Methlab - Does this girl have a 'series' of photo's by chance? I'm not the only one who's found her quite mesemerising...
Yes, now you're talking!!

Please post the pics...this thread may work out after all.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

cool videothumbsup
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Nut

my personal fav is scott simmons

http://www.myspace.com/scottsimonsmusic
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
Exactly............when i tried to argue about how good the lyrics were on the other thread, all i heard from some of the people were, "this was cleverly written pop song for kids to sing, not to complex." now all of a sudden since everybody is doing covers this song is brilliantly written and is a great song. what's even more nerve racking is that it takes the foundation of a band in the cover to make the song good instead what it originally consisted of and that's bull. if it werent for the melody of the original and the way she sang it, there would be no covers.

the most alarming of all though is that mandy moore sang this the same exact way that rihanna did, rihanna just didnt have a live band. no variation. no additions. no imagination, the same exact way. but people like mandy moore's cover better as if rihanna couldnt sing it with a live band?? wow. things are a bit clearer now.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

l like mandy moore a lot
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisha31 View Post
the most alarming of all though is that mandy moore sang this the same exact way that rihanna did, rihanna just didnt have a live band. no variation. no additions. no imagination, the same exact way. but people like mandy moore's cover better as if rihanna couldnt sing it with a live band?? wow. things are a bit clearer now.
I don't remember reading anybody saying they likes Mandy's cover better...
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Whitten View Post
my personal fav is scott simmons

http://www.myspace.com/scottsimonsmusic
yeah but... this is kinda of a song that only a female can sing... Unless a dude's bunghole is an "umbrella" as well.

The lyrics are subjective. But the video kinda wasn't. Mandy Moore changed lyrics and instrumentation, evoking a much more emotional perspective to the lyrics. But yeah... It's not as open to interpretation as "stand by me."

Still, great successful song that is meaningful and open to interpretation.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Mandy Moore's version is actually quite good.

I really like John Peterwest's version, this is probably my favourite.
Old 17th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:

I Like this version "Mandy Moore". he he
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't remember reading anybody saying they likes Mandy's cover better...

I do. Though I still like Digby's the best. everyone is different, I just didn't like the song until I heard it played with real musicians. Really brought out the song for me personally.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
I appreciate your opinion. but for me it's the only one that doesn't bore me. I can't really listen to the original at all. I have tried, but I always have to change the station before I get to the end. yet with Digby's I can't stop listneing. It really brings out the song for me and puts some real feeling into it. But that's me. Anything that is jsut 4 minutes of a 4 bar loop bores me even if the vocals are a little interesting.

Unfortunately I have been unable to find the Digby version online. All I find is here playing acoustic on myspace and a clip from the Carson daily show. If anyone has a video clip from the recorded version, please let me know!
It will be be released on a EP on Sep. 11th.... Check out her myspace page it has a teaser on it..

Oh here is an iTunes link

STAR 98.7 FM - LOS ANGELES / ORANGE COUNTY
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search