The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What would YOU do with 2 SM7Bs?? Dynamic Microphones
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

What would YOU do with 2 SM7Bs??

I have an SM7B. I've always looked upon it and used it for certain rock vocals and VO work.

Today I was handed (literally) another oner one (for FREE!). I've never considered other uses for the mic, musically or otherwise.

Aside from the obvious benefit of now having a spare, in case one should fail, are any of you using a pair of SM7Bs for anything? Or if you aren't, would there be a reason you'd buy another one?

I can see using one on a guitar or bass cab...maybe. But 2?

I guess I'm just looking for fun and interesting opinions and applications.

Thanks!
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Vox and snare if you're recording a band live.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hat/ride
Snare top/bottom
Room mics squashed to death
The horn on a leslie
Hand drums/percussion
stereo shaker
Chris Cornell and Anthony Keidis

Sorry, couldn't resist that last oneheh
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
Hand drums/percussion
Fantastic!

Quote:
The horn on a leslie
Fantasticer!!

Quote:
Chris Cornell and Anthony Keidis
Fantasticist!!!

Quote:
stereo shaker
Interesting concept! Never have done a stereo shaker. But, the SM7B is an awesome idea for shaker. I struggled with shakers until I started using my RE20...but I will now use the SM7B because I have 2 and I can record them in STEREO!! WooHoo. My next song is going to 20 shaker tracks, layered and panned 10 L and 10 R!!

I wonder if we could get Chris to agree to sing to an 'all shaker' version of 'Burden in My Hand'?

Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

send it to me !!!!

seriously...i love em.

vocals, snare, gtr cabs, kick, HI HAT !!!!

that mic rocks !!

cheers,

jchristopherhughes
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 View Post
send it to me !!!!
Heeeeeeelllllllll NO! heh

Seriously, I AM extremely appreciative and fortunate. A friend of mine bough it (and a few other very nice mics...that I will also end up with) a few yars ago . He was working on a project for a public television broadcast. His intention was to do some of it himself. As soon as he started digging into what it ACTUALLY takes to put together a decent recording...he went out and hired a (somewhat) proper setup with an experienced 'recordist' (your's truly).

At any rate, These mics and a few other pieces have been sitting aroung doing nothing for years. I offered him money and trades. He refused. He INSISTED on giving them to me (along with some very nice stands and Mogami cables). We all get a break now and then! heh

I knew there were good uses for it, I just had not considered them too much. Honestly, my mic locker is in decent shape for a small operation with mid-range gear. Especially in terms of 'utility' mics. I think I have 35 or 40 items to choose from in the locker.

I always try to cover most of the functional areas (drums, acoustic gtr. cabs, horns, strings, pianos, etc. with specific mics (within a reasonable price range) that are well suited to their individual tasks. I realize that many mics are great on multiple sources. i also love haveing flexibility and options for any given application.

I do not own any mic over US $2000 (yet!), in fact, most of my mics are under US $1000...half are probably under $500, for that matter. I know there are expensive mics that do great jobs on different tasks, but mics that do great jobs aren't always, necessarily expensive!

I have NO IDEA whi I'm rambling! Maybe I feel guilty for getting this stuff for free and I'm trying to be gracious!

Sorry. Thanks for offering to take it off of my hands, though. I'll let you know if I intend on throwing it out any time soon! heh

Quote:
seriously...i love em.
me too! I have a feeling I'll be falling even deeper in love in the coming months.

Quote:
vocals, snare, gtr cabs, kick, HI HAT !!!!
Will try...I keep seeing hi hat...looks like that will have to be the 1st thing I test. I usually mic all of my drums through my 8 Valley People Transamp Pres...very muscular. I think this mic will do QUITE well on that pre!

Quote:
that mic rocks !!
agreed!

Cheers to you as well!
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

sm7 is all about the hi hat man...

seriously.

rock.

peace

jch
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for Jesus

Toms Bass cab stike

Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Buy two more and use them on toms - Back in Black ...
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'd try them on overheads ...only because I haven't ever tried a stereo pair on OHs thru a fat tube pre ....could be darkly beautiful or crap.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

if you really don't know what to do with it you could sell it to me...fuuck
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
if you really don't know what to do with it you could sell it to me...fuuck
NAH!

I'm inspired to pick up a 3rd and a 4th now and replace the oh-so-lack-luster SM57s that I am using on my rack toms. I alternate between an Audix D6, Beta52, RE20 and a DRK218 on the flr tom....maybe the SM7 will do the trick! The 4th one will sit over my hi hat.

For those of you that use them on drums, do you fiddle with the curve switches on the back?
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Great on cleaner guitars. Try it on a bass cab. Got a feeling it's probably nice as a single kick mic too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search