The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Joemeek SC2 vs MC2 Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 15th August 2007
Here for the gear

Joemeek SC2 vs MC2

I got a chance to use an old Joemeek SC2 rev. 1.07 earlier this year and fell in love with its sound. Seeing as the SC2 is much harder to find these days, making it much more expensive, I want to know if the newer MC2 models can replicate the sound of the SC2. I have read about the falling out between the current joemeek and ted fletcher (the designer of the SC2). I wish to avoid any argument or debate between who is right and wrong. I simply want to hear some fellow GS member's opinions on how the new MC2 models sound in comparison to the SC2. Also, any audio clips that anyone may have of either of these two compressors would be greatly appreciated.

Kyle Nuernberger
Music Engineering Technology
Ball State University
Muncie, IN
Old 15th August 2007
Here for the gear

certainly someone here has used these compressors before. Also, any other suggestions for compressors that sound like a joe meek mc2 rev. 1.07 are welcome.

Kyle Nuernberger
Music Engineering Technology
Ball State University
Muncie, IN
Old 16th August 2007
Here for the gear

Bump
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

isn't the tfpro p38 supposed to be an improvement on the sc2 and not just a more mass marketed (read cheaper to build using cheaper components) similar named comp?
Old 3rd April 2008
Gear Head

the tf pro stuff wrecks, we've got one with four settings la2, 1176, green box(sc2) and one I can't remember. I do know that the old ted fletcher stuff does sound fantastic I have a vc6q channel strip w compression and eq and I love it for specific applications but obviously the tf pro costs four times as much and is far more versatile. for a first hardware smasher I would think there's really not a better deal than an FMR RNC, stereo compression for $175 brand new. not bad, and the RNLA has some hair on it's chest. get them both in a funk logic rack for under $400, I use the RNC in super nice mode all the time for double compression on slammed guitar. M
Old 3rd April 2008
Lives for gear

Unfortunately can't comment on the MC2, but can say that the TF P38 does not have the degree of coloration that the SC2 (1.07) has. No way can it do that fluid, golden butter thing (if you know what I'm trying to say!). I have a TF P38, really like it and use it a hell of a lot.. BUT.. It's no SC2. Two different boxes.
Old 5th April 2008
Gear Head

agreed. though if I had to choose I'd go with the tf p8. I like versatility and kick ass all in one box. haven't tried the p38 yet, I hear it sounds good though. they hype it pretty hardcore of the tf site.
Old 17th February 2009
pjk
Gear Addict
Got a new version mc2 and an old v1.05? vc1. There is a definate similarity in mono (as long as you knock the attack back on mc2). So, cant say if can do old sc2 but i think that was the intension and im certainly impressed with it on mix buss, well made too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search