The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Several SSL´s... Listen to samples. DSP Audio Systems
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Several SSL´s... Listen to samples.

Hello
I did this comparison basically for my self, but decided that maybe other GS members would be interested in listening to these samples.

Ok, I wanted to A/B test some SSL´s. Unfortunately I don´t have a real one to compare to, but my goal was simply just to listen to these 4 that I have access to, and hopefully become a bit wiser in the end

These are the comps:

1. SSL Liquid Mix

2. An SSL clone called the S-SSL "Triple-SL Compressor". I guess this one needs an explanation. It´s made by a friend of mine. He has used the original circuit diagrams from the eighties, but used his engineering skills in adapting the circuitry to today's component standards. He spent ****loads of time on research, choosing better and more modern components, and also made the circuitboards optimal when it comes to preventing induction and ground loops. There are 4 THAT 2181LA:s per channel, for better sound/lower noise, just like in the original (?). Electrolytic capacitors have been avoided to the max.

3. Waves SSL

4. SSL Gyraf (I´m sure you know that D.I.Y version)

Ok, I set the Ratio to 4, Attack 1, Release 0.1, and set the Threshold to knock about 2db visually on the needle (same with the plugin meters). Nothing extremely super scientific empirical about this test, but here it is.
The MP3´s are 192kbps.
Attached Files

SSL_CLEAN.mp3 (1.23 MB, 1376 views)

SSL_Gyraf.mp3 (1.23 MB, 1342 views)

SSL_Liquid.mp3 (1.23 MB, 1129 views)

SSL_S-SSL.mp3 (1.22 MB, 1220 views)

SSL_Waves.mp3 (1.23 MB, 1186 views)

Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'll listen again when I get home on my monitors but at work I have to say that i like the Gyraf best. The S-SSL and Waves are louder than the rest.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Hmm... I really tried to match the volumes...
Old 16th August 2007
After listening to the stops in the tune...where just the snare hits...

me like, in this order:

1. S-SSL
2. GSSL
3. Waves

Good work...thanks for the samples. I have a GSSL that i'm very fond of...but will be selling in lieu of a Rupert Neve product.

D.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by desol View Post
After listening to the stops in the tune...where just the snare hits...

me like, in this order:

1. S-SSL
2. GSSL
3. Waves

Good work...thanks for the samples. I have a GSSL that i'm very fond of...but will be selling in lieu of a Rupert Neve product.

D.
Hi
Yeah, the S-SSL is a monster on rock/metal drums.
Actually I don´t have a lot of experience with compressing the main-bus (I leave that to the ME), but the S-SSL on drums is definitely a treat. It has never failed to improve the character of the drums, pure attitude. It does definitely something else than the other SSL´s. I only have love for that gear!
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

SMT, if you don't mind I would love to hear the original sample going through the Sonalksis 315. I can do this if you like and post it later.
I love what it does across my mix as well as how it can make my drums pump.

If you go to my website below (the Band section) and listen to any of the songs, you will hear it on all of them. Check out "Rosemary Plumb" as a good example.
Thanks.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

SMT, are you cool with my above post? I leave for the beach for the next 5 days starting tomorrow, so if you want me to run the original clip through the Sonalksis 315 just let me know.
Thanks.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Sonalksis 315 SSL preset!

Here is your clean sample run through the Sonalksis 315 using a SSL preset with a 4:1 ratio shaving off about 2db.
It's level matched with the rest of them.
It's pumps the same as the hardware ones but that S-SSL piece has a lot more mojo going on especially in the drum break.

I also did a version trying to match as best I could to your hardware S-SSL using the same Sonalksis SSL setting, but added the Vintage Warmer before it for some extra saturation.
I feel I got very close to it.... But you just can't match how a real analog piece naturally distorts.
Check it out!

Here is the Sonalksis 315: 39513d1187199007-several-ssl-s-listen-samples-ssl_S-315.mp3

Here is the Sonalksis 315 and Vintage Warmer trying to match the S-SSL hardware: 39513d1187199007-several-ssl-s-listen-samples-ssl_S-315 with vinatage warmer.mp3

Enjoy!
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaytex View Post
Here is your clean sample run through the Sonalksis 315 using a SSL preset with a 4:1 ratio shaving off about 2db.
It's level matched with the rest of them.
It's pumps the same as the hardware ones but that S-SSL piece has a lot more mojo going on especially in the drum break.

I also did a version trying to match as best I could to your hardware S-SSL using the same Sonalksis SSL setting, but added the Vintage Warmer before it for some extra saturation.
I feel I got very close to it.... But you just can't match how a real analog piece naturally distorts.
Check it out!

Here is the Sonalksis 315: Attachment 39663

Here is the Sonalksis 315 and Vintage Warmer trying to match the S-SSL hardware: Attachment 39664

Enjoy!
Cool!thumbsup
Thick and nice!!!
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMT View Post

Ok, I set the Ratio to 4, Attack 1, Release 0.1, and set the Threshold to knock about 2db visually on the needle (same with the plugin meters). Nothing extremely super scientific empirical about this test, but here it is.
The MP3´s are 192kbps.
I like the S-SSL the best, but it also sounds like it's set slightly differently (more compression and the release sounds faster thus more exciting), so it's hard to know.

The best way to test is to match up all of the discrete settings (attack, release, etc) and then use a sine wav to match output gain on all units (make sure no compression is happening). Then flip the phase on the unit or plug you're trying to match and use the variable settings (in this case threshold) to find the closest null.

Old 28th August 2007
jje
Gear Nut

Strange...am I the only one who prefers the original uncompressed version?
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Wheres the SSL?
Old 26th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
Wheres the SSL?
Sorry, no real SSL in my studio...
Old 26th October 2007
Gear Head

Cool clips.

The SSSL and Waves are indeed a bit louder.

I prefer the clean sound, it sounds already very strong. If you would need a more inyourface-like song than I'd say the SSSL is best.

Gyraf does something strange to the cymbals, dont like that one.
Old 26th October 2007
Lives for gear

is your G ssl with THAT 21xx or DBX 2150 or 202c Goldcan???
Old 20th November 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by roginator View Post
is your G ssl with THAT 21xx or DBX 2150 or 202c Goldcan???
THAT 21xx
Old 26th November 2007
Here for the gear

i would say the gyraf and the ssl waves are the best sounding.
Old 4th January 2013
[QUOTE=SMT;1438613]
These are the comps:

1. SSL Liquid Mix

2. An SSL clone called the S-SSL "Triple-SL Compressor". I guess

3. Waves SSL

4. SSL Gyraf (I´m sure you know that D.I.Y version)

They all sound really bad in the control room. Are the samples dithered?
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

it's a 5/6 year old thread...
and BTW yes, if it sounds bad it must be the dither....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search