The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nice Bright Snare Mic? Condenser Microphones
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Addict

Nice Bright Snare Mic?

Ive used a few mics on snare but every time in order to get it to sound right i always have to add a lot of eq to the high end. am i doing something wrong or is there a mic that captures the snare nice and bright.

Junk
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Beyer M201; if that doesn't do it, change your mic placement, or get a different snare.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

any mic can be bright

Move the axis from 90 to about 0 (90 being above and pointed strait at the snare head, and 0 being about an inch above the rim, pointed at the center of the snare)

somehwere in there is the sound you are looking for, but it has to be found.

tuning is everything, but the placement of the mic (axis/distance) is going to give you all different balances of thud, body, slap and snap.

+1 for m201, but a 57 definetly can give you a wide open snappy sound.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

top and bottom mic it..i'd avoid real bright top mic's as you pick up soc bleed exponentially as you pull oaway from the skin to make the snare breath..57 on bottom..

i like an Altec 633a topside on my snares ..it doesn't have much top after 6k
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Coming from a 57, an Audix I5 (or D1) might be a step into the right direction. It has more hi end + is "faster".
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Are you miking the room? Overheads?
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Guru
For a really bright snare, an under mic really helps. (Don't forget to check phase). A 451 with the pad works great. Or ye goode olde 57 w/EQ. heh
Old 15th August 2007
Use the same thing you use for a tom. Why would you want a different, brighter mic for a snare?

I know, because a snare sounds different than a tom, right?

Hmmm, why is that. A snare is pretty much a 14 inch tom, epescially if you have one that's inches deep. But most are much shallower, so a snare is just s short 14 inch tom, so were back to it being the same, right?

Yes, you're right. It's still not the same because of the metal snares on the bottom.

You want the different bright mic for the drum that's different becuase of the snares on the bottom.

While you may think you wnat a bright snare mic, what you're really missing is the sound that comes from the bottom of the drum. Get the phase right and use your bottom mic inplace of the high end boost.

A bright top mic is going to mask the mids and lows and you're going to have a thin sounding snare.
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Guru

Point your overheads towards the snare drum.

That usually gives you a pretty bright snare.
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Addict

Or try a condensor on the snare. Play with placement too... sometimes micing the shell is better than the batter etc. Throw on some headphones and experiment with placement.

Another question, does the snare sound like what you want in the room? If the sound isn't there to begin with, good luck "fixing it in the mix". Lots of snare problems come from poor tuning and simply crappy sounding drums. (Like every Pearl Export snare that kids bring in to record with a mashed out dent in the center of the 5 year old batter head... ugh...)
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
Use the same thing you use for a tom. Why would you want a different, brighter mic for a snare?

I know, because a snare sounds different than a tom, right?

Hmmm, why is that. A snare is pretty much a 14 inch tom, epescially if you have one that's inches deep. But most are much shallower, so a snare is just s short 14 inch tom, so were back to it being the same, right?

Yes, you're right. It's still not the same because of the metal snares on the bottom.

You want the different bright mic for the drum that's different becuase of the snares on the bottom.

While you may think you wnat a bright snare mic, what you're really missing is the sound that comes from the bottom of the drum. Get the phase right and use your bottom mic inplace of the high end boost.

A bright top mic is going to mask the mids and lows and you're going to have a thin sounding snare.
Couldn't I just put metal snares on the bottom of my toms?
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Guru

I like the Beyer 201 as a handy 'alternative' snare mike.

also consider some new snare wires . I am a life-long drummer, yet I was totally surprised a few years ago at the difference some 'premium' snare wires made.

This site is very cool, the guy has posted clips of comparisons of many different brands of snare wires!

I am an EQ junkie, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I would not consider the desire to EQ the snare drum to necessarily be an indication of 'failure' in the tracking process. Sometimes I get closer to what I want with mic "X" and a ton of EQ, than mic "Y" with no EQ.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Sennheiser E609 Silver or the Senn. 409 on the bottom of the snare. Blend to taste with the top mic (I've typically used the 57 and I5 on top).

Actually, I've taken to just using a single, SDC on the snare. That gives me everything I want...

Right now, my mic of choice is the GT44, with the HP filter and pad both engaged. I line it up according to what I'm looking for. Generally about 3 to 4 inches away from the snare, looking almost straight across the top of the drum, with just a tiny bit of the rim blocking the view. I'm loving this sound blended with my OHs right now!

Good luck
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Addict

Another idea... have you tried compression? A slow attack that brings out the transient might just be what the doctor ordered.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm using a Beyer 201 as we speak on the snare. I don't consider it an overly bright mic on snare. I second an Audix i5 on the top.
Gefell M295 or possibly a Neumann KM184 might do the trick. Although I typically don't use them on kit snares.
Directing more into OHs is also cool.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

try some different heads as well ...thinner gives a little brighter sound. different sticks... you'd be surprised

but the biggest way to get a cracky, bright snare ...a good drummer! Not to say whomever is playing is bad, but the right technique can certainly get you a brighter, snappier sound.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

if you want more snare schmazz, just slap just about any left over condenser on the bottom. Really, any mic for that matter...an extra 57 will work just fine. You're just trying to capture the snares and bottom head. Flip the phase and see if that's what you're looking for.

Also, an oktava 012 sounds ok on a snare top as well as a 451.

m
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

I like the I5 for rock snare on the snare top. It's got more smack to it than the 57 IMO but doesn't get to sounding ping-y. I really love micing the shell, too. That combined with the overhead tone can really get you something nice.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
My jr high school had a "drum kit" that was cobbled together from some old marching drums - the toms still had snares on them. It sounded... different.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
My jr high school had a "drum kit" that was cobbled together from some old marching drums - the toms still had snares on them. It sounded... different.
now where can I get some 20" snares for my kickdrum?!?
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

You can make almost ANY microphone work, provided you can get the drum to sound good in the room.
Old 15th August 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

I've been wondering how to get that "deep" snare sound.

Huh, snares on a kick. whoda thunk?heh

I was thinking snares on a tom was approximately a field drum.
Old 16th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
That's called a cocktail kit.

There's aslo Jay Bellrose's djimbe with top mounted snares.

You can do whatever you want
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Nut

I recently used an M201 on a piccolo snare angeled at 45 degrees about 1.5 inch above the rim. Great sound right out of the box. No need to EQ.
Old 16th August 2007
An old, silver 414 (I think that's the "eb"?) on the shell can be a pretty amazing thing. Just watch out for bleed.

One studio I work at (Mad Oak) has one that's been beautifully modified by their tech, and contains a C12 capsule and some kinda fancy hot-rodded output stage.

Very cool mic.
Old 16th August 2007

Yeah a condenser aimed at the shell seems to be just the ticket for getting the overall snare sound
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear
ATM450 may be what you're looking for.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I really like the Shure SM98 for snare. I also use M201 sometimes.
Old 17th August 2007
I have the same problem. I use AKG451B (which is a bright mic) top and bottom, but I still have to eq. Most of the natural brightness of the snare comes from the overheads. I'm not a pro, and have recorded drums only maybe a dozen times.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

I'm very interested in trying an m201 as well. I have yet to find a beyerdynamic mic that was (in general) a disappointment. I also find that moving a 57 around results in drastic tonal differences, throw in the phase relationship of OH and FOK, many sounds are available. I mainly build my sounds from Top of Kit, Side of kit, and Front of kick- so I usually just use the close snare as an additive effect to ride up and down. BTW an AKG 451 is very bright snare mic - good for brushes on snare, however it does n't suit my sense of aesthetic for hard hitters or anything else for that matter.

....But then again I'm also one of those guys who is happy using only two mics on drums, if the situation and genre permits.

Cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search