The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nice Bright Snare Mic? Condenser Microphones
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

I assume you currently have a wood snare?

I've had this problem before and the only thing that really fixed it was to get another snare drum. If possible, you need to get someting like a vintage Ludwig Supraphonic metal snare from the 1960's. They are very common in the used market. In fact, several web sites claim the metal Supraphonic is is the most commonly recorded snare drum of all time.

If you can not get another drum, there are a couple of mics you can try. The first one I would recommend would be an Electro Voice RE-200 small diaphram consender. It has a HUGE peak in the upper mids and will brighten up any instrument and will do it differently than a Shure SM57. Another mic to try would be an AKG 414 B-ULS. But really, you probably need to replace your wood snare.

J. Mike Perkins
jmikeperkins.com myspace.com/jmikeperkins
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Head

I often had the problem, that drumers uses to tape their snares. The best open, bright sound I got with snares using no tape, stopers or rings. Then the right tuning and it works.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

bright snare

I always use coated single ply heads for snare tops.If you use thick pre muffled heads they can kill the top end.I use a 57 through a daking pre but my Chameleon 7602 is nice and bright too.I always consider the source more important than trying to put brighter mics.I tune the bottom and top head of the snare and sometimes must try several drums to fit the playing and musical style of a drummer.I usually find thay drummers have their bottom heads far too loose. I use a bottom mic as well usually a sennheiser 441.
Old 19th August 2007
Here for the gear

For a bright snare sound I use an Electro Voice N/D168 This mic was designed specifically for the snare and is the brightest most snappy dynamic I have ever heard. Also very good isolation with a hypercardiod pattern. Acctually I use it in conjuction with a SM57 on top. This gives me everything. And yes, placement changes things alot. Sometimes I point the SM57 at the shell.

Little Ner
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Addict

Underrated mic for snare :

Beyer Opus39

Worked a treat on piccolo, plenty of bright and pop.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

a FOH guy i worked for once LOVED the Audix i5. (he used it above and below) he said it was more "hi-fi" than the usual 57

but that was live. i would assume it would also kick butt in recording.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

wow, a lot of Audix I-5 users. thought i was the only one using this modest mic. it works nicely. Try it on your kick, nice round ,warm sound. Sm 57 or the audix for the snare. I mean.. put anything close enough without clipping on a snare, and it will sound good. E.Q. and blend,.. done.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Guru

You might try the Shure BG 4.1
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

Ya know I do have a wood snare and my buddy brought over metal snare the other day and it recorded way better. A lot of the mics that you guys mentioned aren't easily bought at a store like Guitar Center. Is there anything that I can pick up at GC that might be worth trying, or should I order a Beyer201 or the EV mic from a catalog?
Junk
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

you can pick up the sure 57 and gc. and also the audix i-5. I find the i-5 to be a real workhorse of a mic, i record all types of stuff with it, plus it's actually affordable. it's a great value, ask around.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search