The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NS10's going for a grand? Studio Monitors
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

NS10's going for a grand?

So I snagged a pair of NS10's off ebay the other day for $500. Original owner, purchased new in 1998 in NYC, pretty much in perfect condition. A pair I had been looking at which was closer to where I live just went for $1,025.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=012

Granted, they're perfect besides one tiny scratch, but for a grand there's gotta be something fishy going on. I emailed the guy and he said he bought them new in 1989, so the ones I just got are 9 years newer.

Is there some reason for this, something special about these?
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

yes ... people with too much money and too litttle grey matter
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, I guess spending over a thousand bucks makes those peices of **** sound better---go figure
Old 15th August 2007
I'm torn here...

Part of me wants the price to go up. (I'm own a pair.) Another part of me doesn't want to go up too much because at some point I'm going to think about selling and I don't really want to, much, at all.

And another part of me wants to say, NS10m's are great for "detail work" -- as long as you have a full range monitoring system to compare them to (or at least can kick a sub into the mix to check the bottom that the '10s miss).

It does sort of make you wonder why Yamaha -- which made a big (and somewhat embarrassing, seemed to me*) deal about their new "white cone" monitors -- hasn't come out with a re-release. No doubt, they would be devalued over "vintage" units... but, still, why not at least try to clone what they had instead of cooking up theoretically superior monitors that don't light anyone up.

* Even dredging up the old insult/compliment that originated about Auratones (for crying out loud): "If it sounds good on these, it'll sound good on anything."
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

The official explanation is that the particular wood pulp that was used in the cones was no longer available, and they weren't able to come up with a good substitute. Seems a little funny to me considering that there's never any problem finding a replacement when these things inevitably blow.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
The official explanation is that the particular wood pulp that was used in the cones was no longer available, and they weren't able to come up with a good substitute.
urban legend

hey anyone want NOS tissue for the tweeters..i am selling 1/4 rolls for 150 dollars
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

It's amazing that anyone nowdays would buy NS-10
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

I bought a pair three years ago for $500. I could have bought them brand new back in '96 for about $350-$400. And in retrospect, I should have bought them instead of the Event 20/20s that I did buy. I don't even use the Events anymore but I use the NS-10s every day. They are great mixing tools especially for rock.

-Aaron
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hey! I saw that pair going for $500. From the guy closing the studio with the Amek console, right?

I almost bid... don't really need them, but a great price on today's market. I'm used to seeing about $700 these days. I'm amazed you were like the only bidder.

$1k is ridiculous, but hey, what can you do? Not buy them, I guess!
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

You should not pay more than $500 for a pair of NS10s in a nice condition. In fact, you can get them for LESS than that.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
Hey! I saw that pair going for $500. From the guy closing the studio with the Amek console, right?

I almost bid... don't really need them, but a great price on today's market. I'm used to seeing about $700 these days. I'm amazed you were like the only bidder.

$1k is ridiculous, but hey, what can you do? Not buy them, I guess!
Yep, those are the ones. I talked to the guy on the phone after the auction was over and from what he says they're pretty much mint, which is how they look in the picture anyway.

There has to be some funny business going on with the pair that went for a grand. The original box and manual do not double the value...
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokushoka View Post
You should not pay more than $500 for a pair of NS10s in a nice condition. In fact, you can get them for LESS than that.
"Can" is one thing. "Will" is another.

Yeah, have patience, and stay away from ebay, and you can get them for a reasonable price.

They're handy to have, and I can't think of any newly manufactured monitors for $500 a pair that I'd really like to own.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
"Can" is one thing. "Will" is another.
Why pay more though? Seriously. There are a ton of them floating around for sale at the around the $400 mark. What's crazy is a see the replacement drivers selling at like $150 a pair and the tweeters the same. At that price, you could buy another complete set of ns10s!

Also, its worth knowing which variation you want. I see some guys paying more for the early versions, which is odd to me since those are the ones that people used to mod...
Old 15th August 2007
Here for the gear

I got mind with a Bryston 2b and two extra tweeters and woofters for like $800...

Another friend of mine got his pair for $50. Don't spend $1,000.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
I got mind with a Bryston 2b and two extra tweeters and woofters for like $800...

Another friend of mine got his pair for $50. Don't spend $1,000.
Nice.
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Addict

I have NS-10's an love them, but there are morons everywhere.

I cannot tell you how many times I've sold things on eBay where the final selling price EXCEDES the price of no less than 2 or 3 with the "Buy It Now" option. Remember several years ago selling an 888|24 for $800 where there were 4 others available with a Buy It Now @ $700.

BTW, check the finished listings. Yes, some fool paid over $1k last week, but several others closed in the $500-600 range. I believe there is a Buy It Now available right now for $549. There is also another pair with just over an hour with 4 bids @ just over $300.

JFW
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfw3 View Post
I have NS-10's an love them, but there are morons everywhere.

I cannot tell you how many times I've sold things on eBay where the final selling price EXCEDES the price of no less than 2 or 3 with the "Buy It Now" option. Remember several years ago selling an 888|24 for $800 where there were 4 others available with a Buy It Now @ $700.

JFW
Good feedback and a positive history go a long way...I've paid more on ebay for an item than I could have got using buy it now if the seller looks totally firm.
Old 16th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by absrec View Post
I bought a pair three years ago for $500. I could have bought them brand new back in '96 for about $350-$400. And in retrospect, I should have bought them instead of the Event 20/20s that I did buy. I don't even use the Events anymore but I use the NS-10s every day. They are great mixing tools especially for rock.

-Aaron
Perfect example of how we are all different.

I bought a pair of NS10m's in the mid-90s (new, $230, a "going out of business" sale). And I struggled to get my mixes right until around 2000 when I bought a pair of Event 20/20bas and relegated the Yahmahas to "close-up" work.

Once I found the right role for the Yamahas, I was cool with them and they became a valued part of the "team" -- but most of my monitoring and mixing has been on the Events, sine then. I found that being able to hear the bottom octave really helped, particularly since I was using a lot of synthesizer at that point.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electropoet View Post
Good feedback and a positive history go a long way...I've paid more on ebay for an item than I could have got using buy it now if the seller looks totally firm.
did you ever pay $1000 for something worth $500? Seriously, how did those get bid up so high.

Bill
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Addict

I think the reason that people are willing to pay so much for NS10s is the hype factor. I know firsthand that a lot of people teaching in recording schools are talking them up to the students, not to mention all the recording rags hyping them as well. Every engineer just getting started wants a pair, thus driving the price up.

Just a thought.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

no doubt.. I bought mine to compliment a more flat sounding set of monitors. I think they'll be good for getting vocals and guitars to play nice with each other. I'm sure there's a lot of idiots out there buying them thinking they're all they will need (which they would be if you knew them and knew your room), but it seems like for every guy hyping them there's another guy that's always hated them and cant wait to put the NS10s to rest for good. One thing most seem to agree on is that they translate nicely, and when you consider how many albums have been mostly mixed on them along with the fact that for $500 you're not gonna find anything as significant or interesting, they're a good buy.
Old 16th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFocus View Post
I think the reason that people are willing to pay so much for NS10s is the hype factor. I know firsthand that a lot of people teaching in recording schools are talking them up to the students, not to mention all the recording rags hyping them as well. Every engineer just getting started wants a pair, thus driving the price up.

Just a thought.

Sometimes -- in my least charitable moments (and that can be pretty damn uncharitable) -- sometimes I think that at least some of the recording schools are no better than the proverbial Guy at Guitar Center...
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Sometimes -- in my least charitable moments (and that can be pretty damn uncharitable) -- sometimes I think that at least some of the recording schools are no better than the proverbial Guy at Guitar Center...
well played sir

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search