The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
charter oak m900, Peluso cemc6 or Josephson C42 Condenser Microphones
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

charter oak m900, Peluso cemc6 or Josephson C42

i'll throw the KM 184 into the picture too...

hello.
I know I'm going to get killed for posting this but I did a search and didn't find a comparison of these 4 mics.

I'm looking for drum OH's for rock. i'm looking for something big and fat, like a KM 84. I am trying to avoid buying used mics, but if i find a good pair of 84's in nice shape (and that i can listen to before i buy) then that would be my first choice. But I would like to find something new that would be comparable.
thanks

-Jeff
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff16years View Post

i'll throw the KM 184 into the picture too...

hello.
I know I'm going to get killed for posting this but I did a search and didn't find a comparison of these 4 mics.

I'm looking for drum OH's for rock. i'm looking for something big and fat, like a KM 84. I am trying to avoid buying used mics, but if i find a good pair of 84's in nice shape (and that i can listen to before i buy) then that would be my first choice. But I would like to find something new that would be comparable.
thanks

-Jeff
i'm surprised a buncha slutz don't have any opinions on these mics??!!!
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

KM 184 (and the Josephson c42) is nice but missing the 'big and fat' part of the km84 sound that you're looking for... never tried the other two...
Old 16th August 2007
Jai guru deva om

I think the ATM450 is the answer to your dreams, that mic fits overheads very well.

War
Old 16th August 2007
mds
Lives for gear

Check out Gefell M300s as well...more like an 84 than a KM184. C42s are really good as OHs too, and a bargin at the price.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear
+1 for the KM184's. Waaaaay better than the Peluso's or the ATM450's for drum OH's.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltamisin View Post
+1 for the KM184's. Waaaaay better than the Peluso's or the ATM450's for drum OH's.

wow, i wasn't expecting that...

but i guess why i posted this

thanks for the advise guys. can anyone describe some of the differences?

i'm leaning towards the C42's
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
I think the ATM450 is the answer to your dreams, that mic fits overheads very well.

War
that would be a nice cheap solution. Does anyone else love these for OH's?
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

If you are looking for km84 tone, the c42s are NOTHING like them, though they may be appropriate for the same types of tracking situations. They are very hyped/colored in the high end... especially for closer micing apps. Cool mics though.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltamisin View Post
I know I´m repeating myself......but I don´t really like the new km184´s for the price!

...and I found the Beyerdynamic MC930 to be much closer sonically to the good ol´km84!!
that would be MY proposal
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear
Beyer makes good stuff. That's a really good idea and should be looked at as well.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Maniac

which of these mics (or their omni equivalents) would be best suited towards classical recording? or acting as a main pair?
i like what i've heard of the pelusos. i don't like what i've heard of the 184s.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

The Gefell M300 is superb, without any doubt. Fabulous on acoustic instruments.

Try the Elation KM201 if you can find one. It is a perfect KM84i substitute. Great mic, well balanced with soul. You can get a matched pair for the price of a single M300.
Old 17th August 2007
I love the ATM450's over my 451's and my peluso CEMC6. They sound right and have great imaging and they are tiny and easy to place.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search