The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha U1 Upright vs a Baby Grand Piano for recording?
Old 15th August 2007
Yamaha U1 Upright vs a Baby Grand Piano for recording?

After doing a search on GS it appears some folks would opt for a Yamaha U1 upright over a smaller Baby Grand if a larger Grand was not in the budget.
I'd appreciate any pros/cons, likes/dislikes from anyone who has recorded a smaller Baby Grand i.e Yamaha GC1 5'3"?
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

It's kind of like a strat/les paul debate. They're 2 totally different sounds. If you tend to want a more raucous, midrangy sound go for the upright. For a brighter sound with more of the hammers (and more versatility) get the baby grand. Of course if your room doesn't sound good you'll have problems with both.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

the physics of the action is obviously different that accounts to a large degree for the diff in sound...and the verticle is noisier too... also the baby grand having shorter bass strings will be thinner on the bass...
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear
I have a Yamaha C2 baby grand (5'6") and a U1. These are the main differences:
1. As stated, the action of a baby grand is quite a bit different. But if you need to use an upright, the Yamaha U1 is going to have about the best action available and is much closer to the feel of a grand than any other upright.

2. Tone is going to be different because of the size and structure of the harp, soundboard, and the overall enclosure. I checked out a lot of uprights when I got my U1 and it is closest to a nice baby grand for both keyboard feel and tone quality.

If you can afford a baby grand, I would recommend 5'6" as the smallest, preferably a Yamaha or maybe a Kawai as second choice. If you can't afford one, I think the U1 sounds better than a cheap baby grand. I got mine used for about $1500 plus $100 to move it.
Old 16th August 2007
Very nice! You have both.
I would prefer a nice used Yamaha Baby Grand. My understanding is that if the Baby Grand is too small I'm better off with the U1. I thought 5'3" Baby Grand might work. I like the sound of the GC1. However, more experienced piano owners are advising minimum of 6' or (more comfortably) 5'6". I'll be picking up The Piano Book as part of my research.
Someone also suggested a Howard piano. I believe they're made by Baldwin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrebes View Post
I have a Yamaha C2 baby grand (5'6") and a U1. These are the main differences:
1. As stated, the action of a baby grand is quite a bit different. But if you need to use an upright, the Yamaha U1 is going to have about the best action available and is much closer to the feel of a grand than any other upright.

2. Tone is going to be different because of the size and structure of the harp, soundboard, and the overall enclosure. I checked out a lot of uprights when I got my U1 and it is closest to a nice baby grand for both keyboard feel and tone quality.

If you can afford a baby grand, I would recommend 5'6" as the smallest, preferably a Yamaha or maybe a Kawai as second choice. If you can't afford one, I think the U1 sounds better than a cheap baby grand. I got mine used for about $1500 plus $100 to move it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search