The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
short delay on guitars.... Spatial Processor Plugins
Old 15th August 2007

short delay on guitars....

I keep hearing about adding "short" delay to guitars to give them depth. Do any of you do this?

What kind of settings do might you typically use i.e. delay and feedback times, ping pong vs. normal stereo, lpf filter settings etc.

Give me some ideas.....
Old 15th August 2007
Led
Lives for gear

I love a good short ping pong for that U2 sound. I tend to use HPF rather than low. Delay times depend on the track tempo and groove, and a little bit of modulation goes a long way. The UAD DM-1 plugin has one setting for this sort of thing that is awesome. Not good for much else, but great for this one effect.
Old 15th August 2007

i'm not asking for a specific delay time or exact specific setting, because that's impossible, but maybe more of a delay time range, like "50-150ms" or something like that, that I can screw around with. I'm also not talking about an obvious U2 delay type thing. I heard a track mixed by a guy that sounded amazing, and he said he added a short delay to the gtrz, but I couldn't actually hear any delay. The guitars had a nice spaciousness though.
Old 15th August 2007
Led
Lives for gear

Hi, sorry to confuse but what I'm talking about is a ping pong with delay times just outside of the Haas area, like 37ms etc. Gives a spaciousness to it, sounds a bit like a big wooden room but more focused in the mix.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

In PT......I like to put up a stereo delay (on a stereo guit track). Just a very short delay......even 2 ms on one side and 4 ms on the other....will put the guit in a different place.

Play around with the wet/dry mix on each side to see what sounds good.

Little or no feedback etc unless I want it more as an effect.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

16ms is a great starting point.

No feedback. No nothing but that wee bit of delay.
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Guru

i used a delay ay one time for that and worked great, now i just use multi mic placements and it works great.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Between 10ms and 20ms of mono delay time with no feedback and lowpass at 5-8k panned opposite side of the dry signal.
Chymer
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

what kind of musical style are you guys talking about?

thanks

Jo
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymer View Post
Between 10ms and 20ms of mono delay time with no feedback and lowpass at 5-8k panned opposite side of the dry signal.
Chymer
Yeah, I do the same thing. It can really add some thickness to the guitars.

Definitely, give it a try.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail View Post
16ms is a great starting point.

No feedback. No nothing but that wee bit of delay.
+1

i usually start at 15ms and tweak from there, but somewhere between 10 and 20 usually does the trick just fine for me. the key is no feedback and returning the delay sends on their own faders so you can adjust and pan to taste. personally, i don't necessarily want the delay to sound like a delay--just enough to "fatten".

cheers,
wade
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search