The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need a new flavor for our next record... Pre, EQ, Comp??? Not sure.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Need a new flavor for our next record... Pre, EQ, Comp??? Not sure.

Here's what I have so far:

Pre's:
Great River
Pacifica
API
TG Channel

Comps:
Distressors
Purples
STC-8
Zener
CL1B

EQ's:
Massive Passive
Great River
TG Channel
API graphics

If you were in my position, and could only afford one unit to add a different flavor to the record, what would you get? I think I'll probably get a Germanium pre for guitars, etc., but I'm really set on getting a tube pre or comp, and am leaning towards something like the Fearn VT-2 on the pre side, or the Thermionic Phoenix on the comp side? Any suggestions on something to round out the collection. Thanks.
Old 15th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby12 View Post
and could only afford one unit to add a different flavor to the record, what would you get?
A Neve 8068 MKII.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear
heh

BTW dobby, sounds like your mind's made up.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Just some things I'm kicking around. The Germ is a no-brainer because of the price, but those other items are pricey. Always open to suggestions.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
A Neve 8068 MKII.
Haha, good one. That's one flavor times 48 (or whatever). How about let's set a cap at one flavor times two at most, or else I will be broke
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Need a new flavor for our next record... Pre, EQ, Comp???
How bout a good sounding Room ?

pechh
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

A REDDI? A Sansamp Classic? A Leslie? A sproing reverb? Must be lots of ways to add some real flavour, other than yet another good preamp.
Old 15th August 2007
Here for the gear

i agree with kiwi burger... i mean you have got some nice pre-amps there which is GREAT! but the real joy for me in recording comes from funny little broken things that can shape a sound. With that in mind get a really nice re-amping unit...we used a Radial X amp to send acoustic gats out to an old tube radio from the 1930s. or BV stereo sub groups out to two diferent tape delays.....or drums to the leslie...or anything at all out to a dirty old echodek for slap. The joy of re-amping is endless!
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger View Post
A REDDI? A Sansamp Classic? A Leslie? A sproing reverb? Must be lots of ways to add some real flavour, other than yet another good preamp.
Hmmm, have a REDDI, have a Leslie, getting an Ampeg SVT VR so the Sansamp isn't really necessary (plugin does most of what I need it to do), and I have a spring reverb... what else you got I love being such a dirty slut.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

as i just posted in another thread, the Universal Audio LA610 is in incredible beast. you can dial in an amazing amount of different colour and tone, add as much valve as you want and such make it clean or dirty
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Head

get an avalon 737

sounds so warm man .

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search