The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tac scorpian Mixers (Digital)
Old 8th April 2004
Gear Addict

Tac scorpian

Who out there has one or has experience with them?
Are they worth a serious look for a small studio?
What is good,bad and or ugly about them?
Does anyone in Washington state have one I could listen to?
Thanks again
Eric
Old 8th April 2004
Jai guru deva om

A friend had one about 10 years ago in his studio and loved it. I used it some and it was nice sounding. The EQ's were nice as I remember.

War
Old 8th April 2004
Gear Maniac

Sound pretty good, nice EQ, pretty flexible routing but a major PITA to maintain. Unless you are VERY handy with a soldering iron I would steer clear.
Old 8th April 2004
Gear Head

Hi

I'm in Wa.
and have a Tac Scorpion

I like it for the money (1,100 5 years ago)

feel free to come on by and check it out

I'm 45 minutes north of Seattle

all the tunes on my site,have been recorded using it

Plum Tree
Old 8th April 2004
Gear Head

I've had two op amps need replacing

in 5 years , 'bout 3 bucks each I guess

no soldering needed
Old 8th April 2004
Lives for gear
i've mixed tracks that were recorded through one of these boards. i like the sound.
Old 8th April 2004
Watch out, in this design you mix through the mic pre's. They are the crummy SSM2015 mic pre chip designed by Dan Parks while he ran SSM before being bought out by Precision Monolythics. Many users have commented that the line in's to the group modules sound better than the input modules for mixing. These can be fixed, but not cheaply. Good luck,

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 8th April 2004
Gear Addict

Jim,
Can you expand on that a little?
Is there no way to bypass the pre?
I would have thought insert points would do that.
I guess I'm not sure if your saying there is a workaround or you need to do a major modification to the board.
I am coming from digital at line level and that is my current mode I'm using with my mackie board.
8824 Line out - mackie insert - summed and done.( well maybe some other junk in there )
Eric
Old 9th April 2004
The inserts are taken post EQ so insert return just feeds the aux sends and fader amp. You could use it this way if you can forfet the EQ, not very useful, though. If you're clever I suppose you could cut it up and just stick in a line buffer and replace the mic pre, but that's a lot of work and you need to know what you're doing. Consider another design which features a true line in for mixing if you don't require the mic pre's (which suck, btw).

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 9th April 2004
Gear Addict

jim,
hey i was wondering if the matchless and magnum are the same setup.

any experience with them?

Brandon
Old 9th April 2004
Both have the same SSM2015 mic pre chip. BTW, I didn't mean to slam Dan Parks, he's a good guy that did the best he could. The Matchless and Magnum both have a true line/tape input that goes around the 2015 chip bottleneck.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 9th April 2004
Gear Addict

Jim,
Thanks for the information. Based on what you are saying I don't think this particular board is going to work for me. One of the things I like to do is send outboard pres through the board and then abuse them as needed. Without the ability to eq that pretty much rules this guy out for me.
Thanks to everyone for all the replies though.
Eric
Old 9th April 2004
Gear Head

you only loose the eq if you come into the insert

line in will have eq.

yes there is better,

but I don't think your looking at that caliber of desks($$$$$)

my reaserch pointed me to it
based on many factors, mainly
best I could get for the money that I could find.

I would love an API but
I've got to remain in reality, for now
Old 9th April 2004
Gear Addict

Rich,
I guess I'm a little confused. I gathered from Mr Williams that you had to go through the pres and that they were not good. Is that not your experience? Do the line inputs bypass them? Are the pres maybe better than some would say?
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?
nyuk nyuk nyuk.

This board looks very good for the money
I wish that It was possible for me to buy an old trident 80 but hey I haven't hit the lottery yet.
Old 9th April 2004
Gear Head

He might very well know what he's talking about,

but I can't afford the high end stuff

I just want to make sure your comparing apples to apples.

I'm sure if we asked about the pre's in similar priced board ,

I doubt we'll get better review there
either
Old 9th April 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by edyer
Rich,
I guess I'm a little confused. I gathered from Mr Williams that you had to go through the pres and that they were not good. Is that not your experience? Do the line inputs bypass them? Are the pres maybe better than some would say?
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?
nyuk nyuk nyuk.

This board looks very good for the money
I wish that It was possible for me to buy an old trident 80 but hey I haven't hit the lottery yet.
The line in's on the Scorpion feed through a couple of resistors which in turn feed the mic pre, they just pad it down 20 db. The Symetrix SX202 uses the same SSM2015 mic pre chip. Get a hold of one of those, pop in the 20 db pad and feed in your music. It's a way of hearing the 2015 used as a line amp. If you like it, well, your a better man than I! Also consider other similarly priced consoles from Trident, Soundcraft, Amek, etc. There are deals out there if you hunt them down...

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 10th April 2004
Gear Addict

Well you are most likely right about people responding with their preferences about pres in a board that doesn't cost as much as my first house. Again if only I knew the lottery numbers in advance......
I have yet to see a trident that you can buy for a few grand but I suppose there has to be one out there somewhere.
Maybe an ad like this:
WTB- Trident mixing console will spend up to $3500. Less if Possible.
I still want to here the tac though so I can get an idea for myself what it sounds like. It is undoubtedly better than the mackster I'm working with.
Rich the stuff on your site sounds good btw.
( The above comments are purely for entertainment, mainly my own, so if I offend you.Sorry )
Old 10th April 2004
Gear Maniac

You can find a better console than the TAC for up to 3500. Often you can find an MCI , mayby a speck, you can even try the small 32 channel midas console thats like $3500, and thats new, with a warrenty. None of the above will have mic pre's that are as bad as the TAC, and you certantly dont have to pass ur line signal through the mic pre.
Old 10th April 2004
Gear Addict

I had a TAC Scorpion - 44 input - for close to ten years. I compose soundtracks for TV and so used it for a lot of different types of music including rocking stuff. Nice sound but pretty noisy (hiss) and one really big fault that I have read from someone else online that had the exact same dilema so I know it was not just my console. After awhile the rails that the faders slid on would get dirty from dust just falling into the slot that was cut out of the metal and when you went to make a fader move sometime during a mix it would make a crunchy\crackly sound that would ruin the mix and you would have to start from scratch - remember-no automation. Very frustrating to say the least!!! I would spray into the slots some lubricant stuff that TAC told me to try and hope for the best but it messed up so many mixes it was pathetic. I also remember having to spray into the 1/4 input jacks in the back of the console because instruments were not connecting. By the way, my studio is no way a dirty room - it's analy clean. Too involved to take apart to clean although if you are so inclined I guess you could do it - but a major job. It was so bad that it was almost 3 stooges funny. I sold it to someone who really loved the whole analog thing and was very happy to get a "British" console. I bought a D8B and it was like night and day the quality was soooo much better. I know that the Mackie gets dissed alot on this forum and the D8B has it's faults buy IMHO it blew away the Scorpion. I thought so 5 years ago when I made the switch and I still think so today. The D8B is way quieter, no noisy faders, has automation, takes up much less real estate for the number of channels you get. The bottom line for me is the Scorpion's faults far outway the D8B's faults.
Robert
Old 10th April 2004
Gear Addict

As someone who had the pleasure of working for quite a few years in hellhole bottom end studios...

Plus: They are built like tanks and look like a real desk. Plus if anyone robs your studio, they won't be stealing your desk.

Minus: They don't sound all that great or as good as the kind of thing which replaced them. Some of those plasticcy "british" budget boards despite their build actually sound _way_ better.
Old 10th April 2004
Gear Addict

Adam
Please expand on the better sounding
"plasticcy british budget boards"
Are you talking about A&H or one of the others?
Which would you suggest as your favorite sounding and why?
Eric
Old 11th April 2004
Gear Addict

Personally, I think even the soundcraft / soundtracs stuff that came out sounded a lot better than the previous "budget" (well, before there was such a thing, I suppose) desks like the Scorpion and IMWHO ('worthless !' ) the A&H ****e like the GS3/Saber, and earlier incarnations from both those manufacturers - the Ghost in particular would kill the scorpion sonically...but it's not built like a tank.. The little DDA boards totally rocked - if you see one, try it. the thing is with all those desks, yes, they are plasticcy, the knobs felt like they are going fall off, are too close together and are single plate designs and usually came with crappy underspecced psu's, but the EQ's were pretty good and beleive it or not, you could make really good sounding recordings on them.

I used to bosh in a decent pre that I'd bring with me into the insert return and then use the EQ. But then again I was evil and wanted to make sure that my **** sounded better than everyone elses..
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search