The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Amp's speaker magnet affecting mic performance?
Old 10th August 2007
Lives for gear

Amp's speaker magnet affecting mic performance?

The strangest thing happened to me yesterday while tracking a 1x12 combo using a Coles ribbon. It was a pretty tame session so I had the mic right up in the speaker. While trying to get sounds, I noticed a constant strange hissing/rumbling/squeaking sound. I swapped pre's, mic cables, patch cables, even another Coles and had the same results. Due to time, I haven't had a chance to really explore this problem more. The only thing that fixed the problem was changing the microphone completely. My only guess, at this point, is that maybe the magnet in the speaker was interfearing with the magnet in the mic? Is that even a possibility?
Druhms
Old 10th August 2007
Lives for gear

That's a damn good question. Which Coles?
Old 10th August 2007
Lives for gear

It was the 4038.
Old 10th August 2007

I suppose it's possible, but the stray field on the speaker isn't that strong (it doesn't take much to move the electron bean in the TV, though).

Did you try moving the mic back a foot?

-tINY

Old 10th August 2007
Lives for gear

I didn't think of the magnet being an issue until after the session. I just swapped to a different mic and the problem went away. So, at that point I just continued with the session. I know the 4038's have a pretty big magnet. You can set one, in it's case, on top of another and it will spin the case around if the polarity is right.
Druhms

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search