The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
IPHONE Dynamics Plugins
Old 10th August 2007
Lives for gear

IPHONE

Well, maybe this isn't right for this forum..but..

Just got one and Im not feelin it..
Got to press three buttons to start dialing..
Can't use third party headphones without an adapter..
Battery sucks..
Typing is lame if you have big fingers...

OK..rant is over...
Anyone else have one?

Think they'll make some music apps for this little bugger?
Old 10th August 2007
Lives for gear

I like it.

The multitouch technology could turn into a great DAW control surface.

(posted from my iPhone )
Old 10th August 2007
Gear Maniac

yea its a bummer you cant use regular headphones.
Do you know where to get an adaptor ?
AJ
Old 10th August 2007
Lives for gear

There are a couple things that I'm waiting them to add in a future software update. Foremost would be the ability to play mp3's from an attached email...THIS IS AN MP3 PLAYER! Why can't it play mp3's from mail!!! I'd also like to be able to manage music like a regular iPod, not the "sync iPod" style.

Regardless, I LOVE the iPhone. It's been great, I can finally run my email from my phone (.Mac isn't compatible with most other phones). I can check Gearslutz from the DMV, it's rad!

I think the battery is very reasonable. It holds up well when you use mostly the phone, but it does drain faster when surfing the next and such. It's like a mini-laptop, so it's a reasonable charge to me. Whenever I'm home, I'm sync'd anyway and charging.

As far as the keyboard. Yeah, sometimes it's a bit frustrating, but I like it much better than a 'real' tiny little keys.
Old 10th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have one. I love it. Sometimes it has slight bugs. I find that when I restart the phone, they go away.

I think the touch screen is great. Every now and then it lags (because I have the phone so memorized that I'm a couple steps ahead of it when I navigate quickly). But overall, it's a hit. Any flaws that I see in it are software based and can easily be eliminated with an update. The hardware on it is great. I hope they make even more of the internet accessible (streaming videos, mp3s etc). Also, the Chandler website doesn't load correctly. Not good for a GS.

Overall I think the phone rocks. The features are as simple to use as advertised. I'm listening to Radiohead on my phone as I write this. . . . . . . . . . .sweet (Cartman voice)
Old 10th August 2007
Gear maniac

the typing gets easier as the recognition software starts kicking in. Why they didn't include the sideways/flip keyboard thing for texts I don't know. Battery life is the same as other comparable phones (Blackberries, etc.), but considering all the features it does have its the best phone out there. Sooo glad i don't have to look at a PC-like interface
Old 10th August 2007
Lives for gear

You could use one of these but I'll bet it would break the jack..
Attached Images
IPHONE-belkin-headphone-adapter-iphone-cellular-telephony.jpg 
Old 10th August 2007
They have an adapter. I'm not sure if they've released it.

I've founf that every critcism I've made has been in frustration that it's not my 12 inch laptop.

It's an amazing phone if they'd called it an iPod or an iEmail and built all of those phone features in to that.

I agree that there are a few extra buttons to push, but that's the trade of for not having to carry three devices.
Old 10th August 2007
Gear addict

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nplm=MA854LL/A

^^ adapter

im loving mine so far...the battery lasts forever in my opinion..i usually sit it on the dock when i go to sleep at night and i havent had a problem with not having enough power yet..and im always using it so..

i kinda wish it had AIM but apart from that.. thumbsup
Old 10th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYMAX View Post
Well, maybe this isnt righ't for this forum..but..
it's not

but whatever...

the iPhone is too big
Old 10th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYMAX View Post
Well, maybe this isnt righ't for this forum..but..

Just got one and Im not feelin it..
Got to press three buttons to start dialing..
Can't use third party headphones without an adapter..
Battery sucks..
Typing is lame if you have big fingers...

OK..rant is over...
Anyone else have one?

Think they'll make some music apps for this little bugger?
iphone is perfect,do ypu realize that you do not type a letter until your finger releases, its not when you touch....im doing this post on mine right now.the adaptor is only 10bucks is is made by Belkin,Compusa or Apple store should have this.
Old 10th August 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Johan View Post
AJ
I just got mine. Love it!
The phone jack is a pain in the ass, but if you use a little problem solving, it is an easy fix.
I have the Shure e4's and was able to cut back the extra plastic around the plug, and they fit right into the iphone.
I think you would be able to do this with most headphones.
Old 10th August 2007
Lives for gear

I really love mine. I like having the ability to listen to songs, watch videos, watch movies, watch YouTube clips, surf, take pics, text someone, keep all my contacts, blah, blah, AND have a great phone with visual voice mail, etc. Yes, I have minor complaints, but every single one of them is a software issue and I expect that they'll all disappear as software updates are released. The concept of hard buttons, whether keyboards or phone pads or app launchers, seems dated to me now. Everything should be in software, as you're likely to want to update things as time goes on. I think the concept that iPhone is entirely in software is KICK ASS and will topple all other phone platforms just as it has MP3 players.
Old 10th August 2007
I carry a video tour of my studio and have used it to accept credit card payemnts through a paypal vitural terminal.
Old 10th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Johan View Post
AJ
I use my iPhone with REAL HEADPHONES, not those silly minijack headphones. heh

I have a minijack to REAL HEADPHONE (i.e. 1/4 inch) adapter, just one of those things I have lying around anyway. The adapter easilly goes into the iPhone's recessed jack, and lets me use REAL HEAPHONES!
Old 10th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaza2 View Post
iphone is perfect,do ypu realize that you do not type a letter until your finger releases, its not when you touch....im doing this post on mine right now.the adaptor is only 10bucks is is made by Belkin,Compusa or Apple store should have this.
Thats a tip...when you release..Nice
Old 10th August 2007
Lives for gear

What bugs me about the iPhone is that aside from the specific software and multi-touch screen, I have enjoyed the many benefits of a touch screen, web enabled, media capable (audio and video) all-in-one device for a few years now.

They may not have that Apple sheen, but Windows Mobile based smart phones have been around for quite a long time.

I am shocked to see just how many people don't realize that there is little new on the table since the iPhone launch, and the cost of the iPhones features are limitations of the OS to install new software (web-apps don't count as software, I don't care how you want to dress it up, besides, my WM5 phone can do that too anyway!), as well as poor implementation of some pretty basic messaging capabilities included in your average cell phone.

I can create or edit real Microsoft Word or Excel documents on the bus on my way to work, while talking on the phone or listening to MP3s through my bluetooth headphones. I can play many types of video games, including emulators for Atari, gameboy, and GBA roms. Hell, I even have a little touch-screen based piano app that I use from time to time while I listen to songs to help me pick up bass lines to learn on my way to work!

I also converted a series of Cubase and Pro Tool instructional videos to a compatible format and can brush up on my keyboard shorcuts and other details while in the subway.

I don't think that the iPhone has half the functionality of my year-old smartphone, or the model I owned from the year before for that matter. This is not so much a revolution as it is a shiny new box, which is already more credit than it deserves in my opinion, considering the limitations of the device. I am not an Apple hater at all, nor am I one to encourage the Microsoft camp, I am just surprised at how uninformed the bandwagoners are. Apple could have done so much more considering the technology available in this day and age. They sold their public short and people are eating it up. It really sickens me.
Old 10th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
What bugs me about the iPhone is that aside from the specific software and multi-touch screen, I have enjoyed the many benefits of a touch screen, web enabled, media capable (audio and video) all-in-one device for a few years now.

They may not have that Apple sheen, but Windows Mobile based smart phones have been around for quite a long time.

I don't think that the iPhone has half the functionality of my year-old smartphone, or the model I owned from the year before for that matter. This is not so much a revolution as it is a shiny new box, which is already more credit than it deserves in my opinion, considering the limitations of the device. I am not an Apple hater at all, nor am I one to encourage the Microsoft camp, I am just surprised at how uninformed the bandwagoners are. Apple could have done so much more considering the technology available in this day and age. They sold their public short and people are eating it up. It really sickens me.
Chris,

Your posts says a couple of things to keep in mind.

First, you mention that "Windows Mobile based smart phones have been around for quite a long time". With that in mind, consider that iPhone is Apple's FIRST attempt at a product line which is brand new to them. People who wonder why Apple omitted this or that should remember that Apple's first and foremost goal was to bring Rev 1 to market with a well rounded feature set which includes a lot of "bang" to help launch the product. Now that launch is complete, software updates can continue (at no charge, according to Apple).

Secondly, perhaps the fact that the general population isn't aware of the Windows Mobile offerings speaks to either A) MS's poor marketing skills or B) the public not wanting to get more involved with MS, whose reputation has been on a pretty steady decline for the last several years. I mean, it took years and years to bring Vista to market, and it has taken quite a beating in the press upon release. I think that the public is finally looking at MS products with a very suspicious eye.

If you liken the iPhone launch to the Zune launch, you have to come away thinking that Apple's star is ascending, while MS's is growing dimmer by the day. Zune is already dead in the water...gosh, it was dead upon arrival, while iPhone, I believe, will have a HUGE impact on mobile products for years to come.

Finally, you have to look at the entire infrastructure that Apple has built with iTunes, iPhoto, .Mac, etc. Don't you think this ease of operation and near total integration is a great advantage to the MS way of life? Which program do you use to get your photo's into MS? How about your songs? Is this somehow tied to the Zune Marketplace? iPod is by far the MP3 leader...can you get its songs into the MS Mobile? Anyway, all sorts of those questions come into play when people are weighing iPhone vs. MS Mobile.

So, while I'm not surprised to learn that MS Mobile shares some traits with iPhone, I doubt that it will hang on once the iPhone juggernaut gets moving at iPod speed.
Old 11th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonater View Post
I believe, will have a HUGE impact on mobile products for years to come.
you are aware of how many mobile (smart)phones the likes of Nokia sell per year?
The iPhone offers absolutely zero, with the single exception of a UI gimmick over any other smartphone - in point of fact, the iPhone offers substantially less than any other model I can think of

methinks a bit more perspective is required here...
Old 11th August 2007
Gear Guru

iphone was not built for the business world but it like a great piece of my hardware, i just cannot live with out......lol YES I CAN but since they make em im gonna own em...heh
Old 11th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaudio View Post
you are aware of how many mobile (smart)phones the likes of Nokia sell per year?
The iPhone offers absolutely zero, with the single exception of a UI gimmick over any other smartphone - in point of fact, the iPhone offers substantially less than any other model I can think of

methinks a bit more perspective is required here...
I stand by my assertion. The iPhone will have a huge impact on the mobile industry for years to come.

And Nokia will not know what hit them.

While Nokia is wondering what color looks nicer, Apple is building a perfect integration of a family of products; computers, iPods, iPhone's, Apple TV, DotMac and whatever future products they develop. Five years from now, we will all use this integrated family of products to make life simpler, more creative, more fun, and more fully satisfying.

The Nokia way of life is about to go the way of VHS, cassettes and Victrola's.
Old 11th August 2007
Lives for gear

My IPhone kicks total ass! Anyone bitching about it is just jealous
they aren't members of IPhone Nation! heh
Old 11th August 2007
Gear addict

Nothing against the iphone but eventually someone will drag apple into court over something just like they did with MS because of IE integration into windows. In the meantime apple gets to make a great product.

Admittedly, I don't remember all the details in the MS case but it hampered them in terms of development. I can't imagine the uproar that would take place if MS bundled something like the ilife package into windows. I know a hand full of people who own logic but use Garage Band more.
Old 11th August 2007
BMT
Gear Head

I love it!!!

I love this thing!!! You know what? I don't care how many features another phone may have or how many the iPhone is lacking. It's just freakin' sweet. I know of plenty of people who have a MS phone and hate it cuz it crashes ALL the time. I've waited years for Apple to release a device like this and it's only going to get better with time.

(typed with an iPhone)
Old 11th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonater View Post
I stand by my assertion.
which doesn't seem to be based on anything but fanboy ranting

Apple couldn't hope to compete with the likes of Nokia - we are talking about vast differences in company size here. At Apple's current rate of growth we'll all be dead by the time it comes around
Old 11th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMT View Post
I love this thing!!! You know what? I don't care how many features another phone may have or how many the iPhone is lacking. It's just freakin' sweet. I know of plenty of people who have a MS phone and hate it cuz it crashes ALL the time. I've waited years for Apple to release a device like this and it's only going to get better with time.

You and Resonator/ Gravity5058 have some strong points and you are so right....If you do not have a iphone you are Jealous !!! LOL, i admit they are high but so are preamps........ Just think i love my iphone and i hardly ever use the phone part of it.....thats sould say right there how damn good it really is.........I love my iphone so much that if i lost it or it was stolen i would get another.....they are habit forming....

Hey guys , we should get paid by Apple for helping them out.........Apples iphone is much better than anything they have ever made, the ipods had a lot of bugs but i think they sprayed for bugs and killed them all after the ipod.

typed with an iPhone
Old 11th August 2007
Lives for gear

My response to MS ....... They suck. I don't need to say anything else.
Old 11th August 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity8058 View Post
My IPhone kicks total ass! Anyone bitching about it is just jealous
they aren't members of IPhone Nation! heh
I'm jealous I don't want to use AT&T's service? Thats my only beef with the iPhone. I'm a loyal Verizon user. Why not produce a product you can use with different providers?
Old 11th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stringerfinger View Post
I'm jealous I don't want to use AT&T's service? Thats my only beef with the iPhone. I'm a loyal Verizon user. Why not produce a product you can use with different providers?

I agree, im with Alltel and love it better than any service, At&t is not my fav provider where i live but the phone still works tho.

Your answer is : its all about $$$ and power when it comes to chopping all the other providers out. This will not put all the rest out of business but it will sure hurt them. But its in stone and it will be there for 5 years
Old 11th August 2007
Gear addict

I love mine!!! EXCEPT that reception in my studio is sketchy due to the buildout being unfriendly to radio waves.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search