The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MADI Question
Old 10th August 2007
Lives for gear

MADI Question

Who uses MADI? What's it for? I've been around a lot of engineers and none of them use MADI. I see RME has a lot of products that work with MADI. Why are they so devoted to MADI when other companies (Apogee) do not? I'm asking these questions out of pure ignorance. I know nothing about MADI. Is it any good?
Old 10th August 2007
Lives for gear

MADI is great! I used it to track 48 tracks at a time. The other great thing is that it carries clock information as well as MIDI. Pyramix has adapted the protocol as well as Euphonix and RME. I believe you could even get a MADI card for the SONY DMX-R100 console.
I love it, especially since I have only 1" conduit in parts of my facility. I wish more manufactures would embrace this protocol.

Regards,
Bruce
Old 10th August 2007
Lives for gear

Cool. I didn't know that it carried clock information. I'm assuming it does 24bit 192K like a lot of things these days.
Old 10th August 2007
Lives for gear

Do they use regular optical cables or do they have their own cables?
Old 10th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric View Post
Do they use regular optical cables or do they have their own cables?
Yes, it does 24/192 or DSD!! You can either use SC optical or Madi coax. I use the SC optical duplex.

Regards,
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
MADI Question-ofc_sc.jpg  
Old 10th August 2007
Lives for gear

Use it... love it

cheers
SP
Old 10th August 2007
jhg
Lives for gear

Multichannel Audio Digital Interface, good stuff. You can do 56 channels via co-ax and 64 via fiber, and run the fiber forever. RME, Merging, Euphonix, Sydec/SSL, Soundtracs, third party cards for Yamaha mydai format, among others use it. As Bruce stated, it's nice to run just 1 or 2 cables...

Regards,

jhg
Old 10th August 2007
Lives for gear

That sounds great. Why aren't other manufacturers jumping on board with this? I have a FF800 and an ADI8 DS. I'm really happy with them. I'm sure RME did a great job with the MADI. I bet it would be very useful with a giant console.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search