The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Good Performance Stools
Old 9th August 2007
  #1
Lives for gear
 
soupking's Avatar
 

Good Performance Stools

This is probably one of the dumber threads I've posted, but I'm looking for performance stools for musicians. Preferably something really QUIET, small, and that folds up for storability.

Anybody know of any that are like this?
Old 9th August 2007
  #2
You can not be fark king serious with that thread title....


He said.... "stools"



I will check my stools and get back to you... (I am sure they are pro though, that I do know)
Old 9th August 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 
soupking's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
You can not be fark king serious with that thread title....


He said.... stooools



I will check my stools and get back to you...

I know, I thought something seemed odd about the post. But yes, I am serious. Right now all I have are a couple of tiny foldable chairs. They're perfect in size, but they CREEEAK.
Old 9th August 2007
  #4
looks like peanuts and corn so far..
Old 9th August 2007
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

creaking usually means old, not necessarily bad...
I have wooden bar stools, folding metal chairs and drum stools available for my musicians although most of them usually like the holstered seat of our Steinway piano... you sure it's not the floor creaking?

speaking of stools... I'll be back later
Old 9th August 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 
soupking's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcnyc View Post
creaking usually means old, not necessarily bad...
I have wooden bar stools, folding metal chairs and drum stools available for my musicians although most of them usually like the holstered seat of our Steinway piano... you sure it's not the floor creaking?

speaking of stools... I'll be back later
Yeah, it's carpeted concrete. I have a small drum stage made out of birch, but that's a different story.
Old 9th August 2007
  #7
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
I have a basic rule of thumb -- I never play with another mans stool.

I actually bring a stool to every gig I do, as a musician. Being a jazz guitar player I like to sit on a high stool.

Home Depot has some. In an emergency (after I left my stool at a gig and had to rush to another) I went to Home Depot. Unfortunately they were bar stools that came two in a box. Had to assemble it. Lame. The screws keep coming out. But it looks nice and it's quiet.

I'm on the look out for portable stools you can break down and throw in the car.
Old 9th August 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
heathen's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking View Post
stools for musicians. Preferably something really QUIET, small, and that folds up for storability.

Anybody know of any that are like this?
I'd actually recommend more fibre and fruit in the diet, that will probably help keep them stools small and firm and quiet too. . But folding them up and storing them may be a little odd. tutt heh

Sorry Soupking I just could'nt resist.
Old 9th August 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 
soupking's Avatar
 

Quote:
I'm on the look out for portable stools you can break down and throw in the car.
Hell yeah, that'd be awesome. It's not always I'm going to have a group of stringed instruments in my room, but it can happen.

I need to have a way for people to be able to sit down comfortably without making noise.
Old 9th August 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
 
soupking's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post

Sorry Soupking I just could'nt resist.
No problem, I almost made a joke myself but thought it futile.
Old 9th August 2007
  #11
Lives for gear
 
heathen's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking View Post
No problem, I almost made a joke myself but thought it futile.
Futile I agree, still could'nt resist though heh.
Old 9th August 2007
  #12
Gear Nut
 
Haskell Brooks's Avatar
 

Tightening any fasteners, and spraying some lube in bolted/screwed joints and pivot points might kill the creakiness (loose stools might require lube, film at 11), but welded steel and aluminum can get noisy with age and there isn't a fix for that, really.

I bet with some music, the mechanical noises can be part of the overall aesthetic- maybe there's a market for foley effects of vintage piano benches.
Old 10th August 2007
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
supaheef's Avatar
 

I bought a Gibraltar 9608 drum throne with a back rest (in the black sparkle finish, but tastes may vary) for recording purposes. It's built like a tank, and most importantly for recording finger-picked guitar - it doesn't squeak! Telescopic height adjustment, and chunky tighteners make it very stable even at full height. Whether or not this would suit stage use is another matter, and whilst you can adjust it quite high, it lacks a foot rest. I spent a few hours on it last night though, which just got me thinking again what a great purchase it's been.

heath.
Old 10th August 2007
  #14
Lives for gear
 
ssaudio's Avatar
 

paging Mr. Hanky....
Old 10th August 2007
  #15
Lives for gear
 
soupking's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaheef View Post
I bought a Gibraltar 9608 drum throne with a back rest (in the black sparkle finish, but tastes may vary) for recording purposes. It's built like a tank, and most importantly for recording finger-picked guitar - it doesn't squeak! Telescopic height adjustment, and chunky tighteners make it very stable even at full height. Whether or not this would suit stage use is another matter, and whilst you can adjust it quite high, it lacks a foot rest. I spent a few hours on it last night though, which just got me thinking again what a great purchase it's been.

heath.
Cool, thanks man!
Old 10th August 2007
  #16
Lives for gear
 

I have a bunch of stage-type folding piano stools. The type with a metal frame and a plastic knob that lets you adjust the height. The seat is foam covered in vinyl, and they are cheap and very handy. Safe for throwing guitars on for re-stringing too. I put speaker cabs on them - just very useful.

The most noise they make is the odd fart when you sit on them - probably a few holes in the vinyl could solve that.
Old 10th August 2007
  #17
Lives for gear
 
soupking's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger View Post
I have a bunch of stage-type folding piano stools. The type with a metal frame and a plastic knob that lets you adjust the height. The seat is foam covered in vinyl, and they are cheap and very handy. Safe for throwing guitars on for re-stringing too. I put speaker cabs on them - just very useful.

The most noise they make is the odd fart when you sit on them - probably a few holes in the vinyl could solve that.
Tell me more, seriously. Do they have a brand name?
Old 10th August 2007
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Roc' n Soc it's called the Tower, uses the same cushioned seat that their drum thrones (arguably one of the top players) use and is available in 2 heights. They are noiseless and very comfortable but hard to find in stores. The drum thrones are easy to find so either visit the best drum shop in town or ask a drum if you may try his seat.

Tower Seats World Renown Seats - Stools and Thrones by Roc-n-Soc

I've bought 3 now, 2 towers and a roll around Lunar for the keys. Highly recommended and the Towers are dead quiet even when one shifts one's weight...I guess if I was nuts, we'd fill the bases with sand but I have lots of other little resonating gremilins to tackle first.

gets 0/10 for folding though

Hope my serious(?) post didn't spoil all the crap that seemed to send this thread spiraling down the drain.


Andy
Old 10th August 2007
  #19
Lives for gear
 

I really have never had or used a stool that I liked even at some decent studios.

I always find them to be too high for me when I'm sitting and playing a guitar or bass. I need to put a guitar case in front of me and put my feet on that...

It's not that I'm short (5'11")...it's just a matter of being comfortable...

Give me a regular height chair with a back (mmm support over the hours) and no arms and I'm happy.
Old 10th August 2007
  #20
Lives for gear
 
taturana's Avatar
Can you polish a stool? heh
Old 10th August 2007
  #21
Lives for gear
 
True North's Avatar
 

I have never seen better performance stools than these;

Natural Colon Cleansing Kit, Herbal Cleansing Systems & Remedies by Blessed Herbs
Old 10th August 2007
  #22
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaudio View Post
paging Mr. Hanky....
What?
Old 10th August 2007
  #23
Gear Maniac
 
Pfhuck's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
looks like peanuts and corn so far..
HAAHAHAHAHHAHA! I can relate....

Cinema

Beer

Munchies!



Laters,
Pfhuck
Old 10th August 2007
  #24
Bob: I thought it was a good performance

John: I thought it was stool

Bob's Wife: Must've been that good performance stool.

Bob: Wow nice call honey!
Old 10th August 2007
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Sigma's Avatar
mineral oil
Old 10th August 2007
  #26
Lives for gear
 
ssaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
What?
Mr. Hankey is a cheerful wee singing and all dancing xmas poo

stool=poo

seemed perfect for the occasion....
Old 10th August 2007
  #27
Lives for gear
 
soundbarnfool's Avatar
 

This thread stinks

PU!
Old 11th August 2007
  #28
Lives for gear
http://www.onstagestands.com/2006bro...m_brochure.pdf

I'm giving away one a big secret here..... The "Guitar drum stool" pictured on the right is the absolute bomb for musicians. Its built like a tank, no arms, cool back.

Since I got my first one, I've bought 3 more, and 5 session cats have bought them for themselves.

Here's the best part.....Music People...who distro On stage, sell to studios as wholesalers.

There's things cost less than 40.00 each. Trust me, players LOVE these things.
Old 11th August 2007
  #29
Lives for gear
 
peeder's Avatar
 

I picked up a nice heavy wooden one at Target for $40. The padded top swivels but has a good resistance and doesn't squeak. The heavy stool keeps the performer motionless for superior imaging and a wide soundstage.
Old 11th August 2007
  #30
Lives for gear
 
ssaudio's Avatar
 

but does it pack away into a 12-coiler?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump