The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shure SM57 vs Old Unydine III Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 7th August 2007
Here for the gear

Shure SM57 vs Old Unydine III

A few months ago, I bought an old sm57 (Shure Unidyne III Model SM57, stamped on it) and compare with the mexican models...after a large cheking, they are really the same to my ears.
Then I found another old one and bought it (just because it was cheaper), I cheked it as a rutine and.....wow!!!...this one is excepcionally better than any 57 I've heard, wider sound, warm at the ends, just a little less gain but had rest on my preamp.
I contact to the sellers to find out more about these mics, the first was made in the 70's and the second the seller told me he was the owner since 1965, the only two visible differences are in the paint (the 60's is lighter grey) and the switchcraft connector (green on the older and black like new ones on the 70's..both "switchcraft" stamped).
I have a Neumann U67, an old 421, and I started to record some "hard" voices with the older 57, just fantastic.

Please I'd like to hear any similar experiences from you, thanks.
Old 7th August 2007
Lives for gear

i really like the pistol grip..

point it at grumpy bass player
make blaster noises..
Old 7th August 2007
Lives for gear

i've got 3 UnidyneIII 545's. they're all silver and black and look like current sm57s in that they don't have the pistol grip. one was made in the US and the other two in Mexico.

the US made one sounds a LOT richer and fuller than either of the mexis or any SM57 i've heard in the last 15 years.

i don't know why......but it's a great mic. i'll be keeping it when i sell the other two Unidynes.....works great on vocals, amps, snare, toms, you name it.

cheers,
wade
Old 8th August 2007
Lives for gear

The "pistol grip" mentioned is a SM56 (which is just a 57 on a shock mount - you see a lot of SM56's in the movie "Monterey Pop"). I have an old SM56 from the 1960's and I think it sounds better than the 2 newer Mexican made SM57's that I own. The old Unidyne III SM56 sounds a bit warmer and fuller (with slightly less output than the modern Mexican SM57 as mentioned above).

I only own one old SM56, but to me it does sound better than the modern SM57. Its not night and day, but the old one is better.

J. Mike Perkins
jmikeperkins.com myspace.com/jmikeperkins
Old 8th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepo71 View Post
A wider sound, warm at the ends, just a little less gain but had rest on my preamp.

That is exactly how i would describe my unidyne III 57, as compared to my sm57.
Old 8th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have unidyne III and I prefer mine to my 57 as well. I'd say it's meatier.
Old 8th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLueROom View Post
I have unidyne III and I prefer mine to my 57 as well. I'd say it's meatier.
Word.
I have 1 of the older unidyne III 57's, and it does seem to have a (dare I say) warmer midrange.
I am not sure if it is due to the aging process of a well broken-in capsule.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search