The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Richmond, VA. Your thoughts?
Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

Might move to Richmond, VA. Your thoughts?

My girlfriend is from there and wants to go back. I own a house in AZ, and I'm considering selling and buying in the Richmond area. For the money I spent on my home in AZ, I could buy a very nice house in Richmond.

I'm wondering how the music scene is. I would want to start a band...as to keep sane.

I would need a day job; at least for a while. I have done every type of sales job on the planet. That would be an easy route. How's the job market?

The big question: What is the market like for recording studios? I would be turning an area of the home into a studio..so commercial space wouldn't be needed.

How are the schools, nightlife etc etc? Any advice would be nice.

Thanks.
Old 26th July 2007
Gear Maniac

never been there but isn't it a college town? that should mean good nightlife and interest in music
Old 26th July 2007
Gear Addict

I'm in Richmond. Actually grew up here. It's a funny city in some respects. There's a decent music scene that seems to be getting back on its feet with the opening of a new venue. There's a strong jazz scene and a lot of underground indy punk bands. The beach is two hours away. Mountains and river are within an hour to an hour and a half. The public schools are good in some of the counties. The city schools kind of blow. There are some good private schools here as well. Some people love it and some hate it. Richmond can be sort of a closed place in that many are from here, stay here and keep to themselves and their social scene. I think this aspect is changing a bit as more and more newcomers are moving here. The Fan is a great spot.

I'm not familiar with the recording scenes elsewhere and can't compare on that front.

PM me if you have any more specific questions.
Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

So far it seems like everyone loves it.

Is extra flood/hurricane insurance expensive in VA?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search