The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How many accountant/lawyer hours last year?
Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

How many accountant/lawyer hours last year?

How many hours did you guys get billed for by your accountants and lawyers last year?

I'm assuming that everyone here who has a studio that is actually a business has both... right?
Old 26th July 2007
Gear Maniac

I use my lawyer for contracts on a per-contract per-hour basis and my accountant just for my taxes (I do the rest of the accounting myself using iBiz and common sense)
Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

I have a couple of thoughts for you:

1 - Try to set fixed pricing for the work you ask your accountant to do. It's common and reasonable. I do this for my clients whenever possible. That way there's no surprises and everybody knows what to expect up front. However, if your stuff is a total mess (as in you're totally disorganized), expect to be billed more. If I have to fart around twice as long because Client A's records are a disaster, that's fine. But it will cost Client A more than somebody (say Client B) who has their stuff organized.

2 - Accounting firms have been raising rates the past few years. I work at a mid-sized firm and we've been raising our rates at a steady clip. Why? Because the demand for accounting services is far outstripping the supply of accounting professionals. We have all kinds of hiring agencies trying to get more accountants in the door at my firm. It's nice to know I've got incredible job security, but it sucks when I'm trying to fill positions in my department!

-Tom
Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

Are you from Date-line or something?
Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
Are you from Date-line or something?
No, I'm just trying to figure out why some GS members seem to be so legally and accounting-wise clueless about things. Not knowing how/what to depreciate, deductions, simple copyright things, etc... All things what would be answered I'm sure if they sat down with their accountants and lawyers even once or so a year.

It makes me scared to think that people are possibly running businesses and trying to do EVERYTHING on their own. Unless you have your JD and MST/CPA then trying to act as your own attorney or accountant is like giving yourself fillings as your own dentist.
Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

very true.... If you couldn't tell my other post was sarcasm..
Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
very true.... If you couldn't tell my other post was sarcasm..
There was an entrepreneurs networking meeting in Boston recently, where many companies were showing off their websites in hopes to get financial and other support. One of the companies is book publisher that's targeting 9-12 year old girls. During their speech the lady said, "Now with our new website, we are able to touch young girls online and offline"...

She quickly realized the potential double meaning of it, as the room erupted into laughter. She retorted with, "At least I know you were listening to me". We all felt that Stone Philips would be making her a visit later to find out more about this "touching young girls online and offline" business.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search