The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Xbox 360 into Mbox 2?
Old 25th July 2007
Gear Maniac

Xbox 360 into Mbox 2?

Is it possible to hook up my xbox 360 to the mbox2 to play the audio through my monitors?
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapikapi View Post
Is it possible to hook up my xbox 360 to the mbox2 to play the audio through my monitors?

there are probably RCA outs so yes with rca to trs cables
Old 25th July 2007
Gear Maniac

but you'll always have to have PT running with an Aux track if you are just trying to listen to the Xbox through your studio speakers... if you want to record the audio then yes, as said
Old 25th July 2007
Gear Maniac

So do I connect the red and white cables from the xbox into the spdif of the Mbox? and can you explain more about what you said about creating a aux track and how to route it? Anyone?
Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcnyc View Post
but you'll always have to have PT running with an Aux track if you are just trying to listen to the Xbox through your studio speakers... if you want to record the audio then yes, as said
If it is just an Mbox 2, you could always just have it powered up and use the mix knob all the way to Input, and not worry about Pro Tools
Old 26th July 2007
Gear Maniac

where do I plug the red/white cables from my xbox to?
Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

Wow. You really find all kinds of threads here! This one's an instant classic.

You need a pair of RCA to 1/4" cables. You plug the RCA end into your Xbox, and the 1/4" end into your mic/line inputs.

I don't believe the MBox has any RCA inputs... it just has those XLR/TRS combo jacks, if I remember right.
Old 26th July 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
Wow. You really find all kinds of threads here! This one's an instant classic.

You need a pair of RCA to 1/4" cables. You plug the RCA end into your Xbox, and the 1/4" end into your mic/line inputs.

I don't believe the MBox has any RCA inputs... it just has those XLR/TRS combo jacks, if I remember right.

this is the cable i am using now:

Xbox.com | Xbox 360 - Xbox 360â„¢ VGA HD AV Cable

What do you mean by "plug the RCA end into your Xbox" theres no inputs for the xbox 360
Old 26th July 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapikapi View Post
So do I connect the red and white cables from the xbox into the spdif of the Mbox? and can you explain more about what you said about creating a aux track and how to route it? Anyone?
No no no no...

SPDIF is digital, the XBOX AV plug is analog (though you may be able to get a digital one)

Do you know where the ANALOG inputs are on your Mbox? take your red and white RCA plugs from the XBox 360 and connect them each to an RCA to 1/4" Plug adapter. I does not have to be a TRS (Tip/ring/sleeve) 1/4" like a headphone plug has, just a normal TR (Tip/ring) since RCA is already an unbalanced signal. Then plug them into the analog inputs of your Mbox.

There are two SPDIF jacks on your Mbox (one red, one white) because SPDIF is a stereo protocol and there is a stereo input, and output for the Mbox. What you want to do is hilarious because you are connecting one Mono analog signal to the stereo digital input and one mono analog signal to the stereo digital output!

Just because it fits and is the same color doesn't mean its going to be compatible.

As far as the practicality of this who project, doesn't sound worth it.
Old 26th July 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allesmachine View Post
No no no no...

SPDIF is digital, the XBOX AV plug is analog (though you may be able to get a digital one)

Do you know where the ANALOG inputs are on your Mbox? take your red and white RCA plugs from the XBox 360 and connect them each to an RCA to 1/4" Plug adapter. I does not have to be a TRS (Tip/ring/sleeve) 1/4" like a headphone plug has, just a normal TR (Tip/ring) since RCA is already an unbalanced signal. Then plug them into the analog inputs of your Mbox.

There are two SPDIF jacks on your Mbox (one red, one white) because SPDIF is a stereo protocol and there is a stereo input, and output for the Mbox. What you want to do is hilarious because you are connecting one Mono analog signal to the stereo digital input and one mono analog signal to the stereo digital output!

Just because it fits and is the same color doesn't mean its going to be compatible.

As far as the practicality of this who project, doesn't sound worth it.

So do you mean I need something like this?

Buy Planet Waves Male 1/4" Stereo To Female RCA Adapter at Musician's Friend

or this?

Buy Planet Waves 1/4" Mono To Dual RCA Adapter online at Musician's Friend

so do I even need to run protools in order for this to work?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search