The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Should I sell my CDs to buy gear?
Old 25th July 2007
Should I sell my CDs to buy gear?

So, I have a lot of CDs...probably 1,000...and I was was thinking that maybe I should sell the majority of them and use the money to purchase more gear. I would save what I don't keep on an external hard-drive so it's not like I'd be losing to forever...but part of me feels like I might miss them. Has anyone else done this? Did you regret it?
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

I did exactly that. I regretted it for about 5 minutes. I sold all my CDs and bought a Dave Smith Poly evolver keyboard. I dont miss the music at all.... its all on my computer and I never actually used the Cds anyway since I use my ipod exclusively. I dont think ill ever buy a CD again, I just use itunes. I feel like I got a poly evolver for free. Im very happy
Old 25th July 2007
I don't think I'll stop buying CDs and LPs, but it would be easy to downsize to 200 or something like that. I don't like iPods, the sounds quality isn't good enough for me.
Old 25th July 2007
Gear Addict

flac

rip all your cds to flac or some other lossless format. Why would you want to keep the cd rather then the flac. Do you like the covers ? if so scan them.

I say Get rid of them and buy some gear.

K
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinflames View Post
I don't think I'll stop buying CDs and LPs, but it would be easy to downsize to 200 or something like that. I don't like iPods, the sounds quality isn't good enough for me.

so put WAV. files on your ipod...

They sound amazing.

CD covers? How many times does one really look at them.... People say they like ot have something they can hold in their hands. Its just a new way of thinking, after a few days of not having your CDs youll be thankful for all the extra room on your shelves.
Old 25th July 2007
I think booklets are a great resource for finding out where the album was recorded, where is was mastered, and all that jazz.
Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think booklets are a great resource for finding out where the album was recorded, where is was mastered, and all that jazz.
Almost every album on itunes comes with a "digital booklet" which is just scans of the entire CD booklet. You get all the same credits/artwork/lyrics if they are included.

As for putting WAV's on your ipod.... just drag them on the same as an mp3/AAC.
Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
So is the internet. thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search