The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
So, A 15' square isn't great to record in? Diffusion or just bass traps?
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

So, A 15' square isn't great to record in? Diffusion or just bass traps?

I'm being sarcastic. From what I understand..it's very bad. I'm going to do 2 ft triangles of rockwool to get rid of 3 of the 4 corners. One corner is smaller, due to where a door is...so I can't really cut off that corner much. In the end..it will be an octagon of sorts. The roof is about 8 ft high for the first 3-4 ft of the room. This means that from when you walk in..you look up and the ceiling is flat. About 3-4 "back" the pitch in the roof starts. The back 11-12'X 15' is the pitched roof part. It likely goes up about 3 ft xtra at the center of the pitch.
There will be plenty of bass trapping on the walls also..plenty.

P.S.-There are cement floors now. There will be wood or vinyl in the end. The ceiling is soft.

Is my room too small to benefit from diffusion? I've got a window that has been blocked off with drywall, sound deadening board, insulation and wood. It's about 4tf long and 2 ft high. I was thinking about doing the bended plywood thing on top of where the window would be. I also considered doing a large version of the varying chamber depth diffusor.

Would my room benefit..or is it just too small?

By the way, this is the tracking room, not a mix room.
Old 26th July 2007

You are going to have all kinds of fun with ringing and nulls in there!

With careful mic placement, you might get some interesting recordings in there. But, deaden all the wall-wall corners and all the wall-ceiling corners. You migh just want to fill the sloped area on the ceiling with rockwool too.

-tINY

Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah. I get that bass trapping is going to be my best friend in that room. I'm just trying to figure out if diffusion is something I should also be worried about.
Old 26th July 2007

Too small for effective treatment using diffussion - 600-700 sq ft is about the smallest room that diffusion might do some good. You have about 1/3 of that....

-tINY

Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

I would agree that diffusion on the rear wall would be better replaced by some bass control behind the seated head position to deal with the null off the back wall. I would also agree in making sure you kill that upper ceiling corner where it rises.

As for the back half of the side walls, if you're tracking in there too, diffusion would be of benefit to you when doing so.

Bryan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search