The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
engineers and experienced mixer users
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

engineers and experienced mixer users

I'm looking to buy a mixer and just can't get my head around this. My goal is to record at least 10 mics at once and have a record player, cd player, sampler, and keyboard hooked up to the mixer at all times. These stereo devices don't need to be able to record at the same time, just always plugged into the mixer and able to be bussed to a line out for recording into a firepod. I,m using cubase sx3. This mixer is for recording only. I was looking at the soundcraft m12, heard it was a great sounding mixer for recording. but a friend advised I would out grow it fast. So know, I,m looking at the Soundcraft LX7ii 24 or 32 modile. I just don't know if it's geared for recording (pre's, flexibility, eq etc.) This is a one time thing, I don't want to buy another mixer for future studio growth, this needs to be the one, and i don't want to purchase a substandard mixer for @$2000. 16 out's is more than i will ever need at once, just want some flexibility, and a mixer to learn on and enjoy using. I looked at the SOUNDCRAFT 14.4.2 and the 16.2., but am still leaning towards SOUNDCRAFT. I use cubase for all my effects and basic processing needs, , and am a beginner using a mixer, just 16 outs to go into 2 firepod's, and 4 stereo sources would be thrilling! Any pro's and con''s about my choices from experienced users would be great, I'm ready to close the deal on something, got a gig recording a four piece band in two weeks, so i need to make a decision. Recording quality is a must, but it doesn't need to rival a midas board or ssl , I'm using the ssl pluggins for mxing, so I,m already getting some of that quality. Guys, thanks for any advice.
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

error

Just reviewed my post, I meant the Allen and Heath 14.4.2 and 16.2.
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

I have an A&H Mixwizard 16. For what it is, it's an OK mixer. But I wouldn't ever expect this board to make a recording you would like the sound of. Don't know if this one was on your list or not.

Take a look at the Toft Audio console. There's a very long link on the forum about it. I think a 16 channel version is going for 3K? There are some owners on the forum.

DaveT
Old 25th July 2007
What's your budget?

I would be that your best deal would be buying a used console. You may end up with more than you ned at the moment, but that's good for expansion and may be good for resale.

You may only need 10-12 channels and that might be good when buying a used console becuase you can cannibalize parts from other channels to get 12 working ones.
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

Yea, buying used is an idea. My budget is @ 1500- $2000, i have a freind who's a equipment dealer, so i could save some there, i just don't want to buy someone else's headache. But, aren't most of the pre's and eq on newer models sounding as good as older models these days. I've heard the soundcraft ghost has nice pre's, and supposedly you can get close to those with the m12 and lxii series. I,m making nice sounding recordings now just going through the firepod, ssl 400 pluggins, and some waves stuff, so the pre's just need to be quiet. Does anyone use the TAC SCORPION? I've heard it has a different sound to it.Also, what's the deal with this $4000 MIDAS board, I don't know anyone who's recorsing with it. Thanks for all suggestions.
Old 25th July 2007
Gear Addict

Sorry to say, $1000-$2000 is not a budget for a console.

Save the studio real estate, buy some plugins and work on your mixes in the box.
Really, I still beleive in consoles, but in this day, it has to be a substantial console
to make the committment in time, space, and cash worth it.
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

o.k, lets just say I want 16 direct outs and want to hook up 4 stereo devices without repatching. Not looking for a fancy console. Somebody tell me why NOT to buy the SOUNDCRAFT lxii 24 or 32. I,m ready to get this thing and be done woth it. Will this mixer get me there? And is there room to grow? The clock is ticking, and I don't want to waste money.
Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for your replies. Hey, that's an interesting point Mike, thanks for bringing that up. Don't really know if I'll ever use 16 outputs at once, I,m still eyeballing the soundcraft m12. Seems like a sweet little mixer that probally will do what i need it to. Thanks for your comments.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search