The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
will my pacifica be worth more or less in 20 yrs
Old 25th July 2007
Gear Addict

will my pacifica be worth more or less in 20 yrs

i know someone had a post kinda like this in more of a general form but now im getting specific,i love this thing and it sounds good to me,no matter who says what I'll never part with mine.....am i just caught up in the hype or do i truly have myself a nice piece of gear that will stand the test of time and become one of those over priced classics
Old 25th July 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by daillman View Post
i know someone had a post kinda like this in more of a general form but now im getting specific,i love this thing and it sounds good to me,no matter who says what I'll never part with mine.....am i just caught up in the hype or do i truly have myself a nice piece of gear that will stand the test of time and become one of those over priced classics
IMO you are caught up in the hype which is not necessarily a bad thing.

If in 20 years if you are still using it making your music than you are a lucky man.

Honestly i can't see much of these clones or remakes or inspired by units increasing in value. On the contrary its the originals that they were derived from that will escalate the more people start discovering what inspired the magic in the first place.
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

I have told my employer not to pay me cash anymore.... I take all my wages in Pacifica's. He thinks he's getting a great deal but it'll be me who's laughing when I'm ready to cash them in upon my retirement.
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

Dear Thrillfactor,

No disrespect intended but I feel you are half right and half wrong.

Example:

A manufacturer produces product X, no matter if it's a clone or inspired by.......

If that manufacturer now decides to stop producing product X and the demand is still high.......then the value of product X will most likely increase.

Economics 101, Supply and Demand heh

Enjoy,

Peter Montessi
A-Designs Audio
A-Designs Audio: Quality without Compromise. Manufacturer and Distributor of the finest in all tube microphone pramplifiers (mic pre), direct boxes, passive line level control, tube EQ and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
IMO you are caught up in the hype which is not necessarily a bad thing.

If in 20 years if you are still using it making your music than you are a lucky man.

Honestly i can't see much of these clones or remakes or inspired by units increasing in value. On the contrary its the originals that they were derived from that will escalate the more people start discovering what inspired the magic in the first place.
Old 25th July 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Montessi View Post
Dear Thrillfactor,

No disrepect taken.

Just an opinion bro.

You are correct in your statement. I've seen it happen before(Greg Hanks BA-660).

But he didn't make that many and it was built to a custom spec(basically build the best tube mic pre on the planet).
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear
In 20 years nobody will be buying music. Free music will be made exclusively with synth programs to avoid paying actual musicians, including singers. No longer will actual sounds be recorded from source through the air into a microphone. Moby and the Chemical Brothers will be considered the Elvis and Jimi Hendrix of pop music 20 years from now, and all guitars in the world have been burned as alternative fuel since we're out of fossil fuel. So yes, your Pacifica will be worthless.

Just kidding.... I'm feeling quite bitter and pessimistic about the future, but I have no doubt nice gear like the Pacifica will still be considered as such in the future. Worth less? Probably. Worthless? Not at all.

I'm wondering if Mboxes will be the Casio keyboards of the future...

"In the year 2000.... In the year 2000!!!" (Conan O'Brien reference)
Old 25th July 2007
Gear Guru

If you're successful enough to make it another 20 years, and the Pacificas are the main preamp behind that success, I'd say you probably won't want to sell them!

The only thing that can make the Pacificas go up in value (if that's important at all), is a bunch of skilled engineers making classic music on them. So get to it!
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

[quote=Peter Montessi;1398600]Dear Thrillfactor,

Example:

A manufacturer produces product X, no matter if it's a clone or inspired by.......

If that manufacturer now decides to stop producing product X and the demand is still high.......then the value of product X will most likely increase.

Yea but your talking 20years from now, not 20 years from say 1970. 20 years from now all the knock off's will be long forgot about, the originals will be antiques. In 20 years. i'm sure audio will be much different than today. Who know the world may be gone by than
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
No disrepect taken.

Just an opinion bro.

You are correct in your statement. I've seen it happen before(Greg Hanks BA-660).

But he didn't make that many and it was built to a custom spec(basically build the best tube mic pre on the planet).
thumbsup

Peter Montessi
A-Designs Audio
A-Designs Audio: Quality without Compromise. Manufacturer and Distributor of the finest in all tube microphone pramplifiers (mic pre), direct boxes, passive line level control, tube EQ and more!
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHENDONLY View Post
Who know the world may be gone by than
kind of a dark comment for the so much gear, so little time forum...heh
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
If you're successful enough to make it another 20 years, and the Pacificas are the main preamp behind that success, I'd say you probably won't want to sell them!

The only thing that can make the Pacificas go up in value (if that's important at all), is a bunch of skilled engineers making classic music on them. So get to it!
Hi Kafka,

I'm doing my best!!!

Peter Montessi
A-Designs Audio
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

Highendonly,

Where the heck did 20 years come from??

Damn, I'm happy to see the sunrise

Peter Montessi
A-Designs Audio

[QUOTE=HIGHENDONLY;1398766]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Montessi View Post
Dear Thrillfactor,

Example:

Yea but your talking 20years from now, not 20 years from say 1970. 20 years from now all the knock off's will be long forgot about, the originals will be antiques. In 20 years. i'm sure audio will be much different than today. Who know the world may be gone by than
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

That's some kind of crystal ball you've got there Thrill.

I bought a few items 22 years ago that people said would be worth nothing.
My NS10's for starters, the audio industry people back in 1985 thought they wouldn't be worth much.
Right now I could see them for more than I paid for them. So much for crystal balls.
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

My bet is yes, the Pacifica will be worth more than you paid in actual dollars, but after accounting for inflation, less or about the same... don't scratch it...
Old 25th July 2007
In 20 years, it will have been replaced by, what else, the "Atlantica."
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

The guy on this board that knew the answer to your question left a long time ago to take Cleo's place. Let me dig up that phone number
Old 25th July 2007
Ha i laughed as soon as I saw the thread title, not because it is a bad question, but because someone on the this forum is planning for twenty years from now by buying gear!

I guess if forethought were a characteristic we possessed, we would manifest it by doing what we always do: buying gear
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

Buy baseball cards instead
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

I'm willing to bet buying stake in A Designs is more of an investment than buying a bunch of Pacificas.
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

OH, a friend of mine bought a bunch of "Crystal Pepsi" when it came out. He sold 2 litters for a couple hundred a pop!
Old 25th July 2007
Jai guru deva om

Pacifica worth more in 20 years?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say who knows.

War
Old 25th July 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
In 20 years, it will have been replaced by, what else, the "Atlantica."
That’s awesome!!!!!!!! heh

You think zaza will like that one?heh

Glenn
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiaman View Post
I'm willing to bet buying stake in A Designs is more of an investment than buying a bunch of Pacificas.
WOW!

Thank you!!!

PS
Your check is in the mail heh

Peter Montessi
A-Designs Audio
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say who knows.

War
War,

We don't want you to go too far out on that limb.......a bit of a stretch for ya hey?

Was it you who told me you bought stock in the "Pet Rock" thingy?

Peter Montessi
A-Designs Audio
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

Your preamp will still have value, but you will dislike the music all the kids are listening to.
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

Keep the check, just get me good deal on another pacifica! I can't have enough.
Old 25th July 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
That's some kind of crystal ball you've got there Thrill.

I bought a few items 22 years ago that people said would be worth nothing.
My NS10's for starters, the audio industry people back in 1985 thought they wouldn't be worth much.
Right now I could see them for more than I paid for them. So much for crystal balls.
Hi Tony.

I am in my 20th year myself and i can count on one hand the number of studio gear that has increased its value after being released that's not a digital piece.

And even the number of digital pieces are limited.

I think in this decade alone its been tough going. So much of the new gear is not really new but inspired. Nothing really revolutionary or different. I guess its reflected in the music being created.

And everything is so clean,small & direct sounding. Actually alot of the new gear would have been perfect 20-30 years ago when everyone was tracking to tape. Now when we need more color/mojo there are no places to squeeze it from. The new color pieces are even clean. The transformers,resistors & caps are all clean.

I would think the plug ins is where you would see the innovations but its the same thing there as well.
Old 25th July 2007
Gear Addict

My A-Designs gear has already increased in value. People come to my studio and listen to the guitars and vox that reside in recent mixes and want to buy the units from me! I point them to Peter and they say "ah yes but you must have magic mod'd versions or a pot of special A-Designs fairy dust to sprinkle on them".

Somewhat amusing but true.

Peter, if you're listening I'd love to play with one of those new "valve" EQ's sometime!!!!

Cheers.

GM
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsqd View Post
My A-Designs gear has already increased in value. People come to my studio and listen to the guitars and vox that reside in recent mixes and want to buy the units from me! I point them to Peter and they say "ah yes but you must have magic mod'd versions or a pot of special A-Designs fairy dust to sprinkle on them".

Somewhat amusing but true.

Peter, if you're listening I'd love to play with one of those new "valve" EQ's sometime!!!!

Cheers.

GM
As soon as the production run is ready...........

It would be an honor.

Regards,

Peter
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

It doesnt matter if it takes value or not. It's some of the very best and versatile preamp on the market for music recording and will certainly be up there in the next years to come. I love mine. I find the 1073 style preamp are a great "ying" to them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search