The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
samplitube2 or guitar rig2?
Old 25th July 2007
Gear Addict

samplitube2 or guitar rig2?

hi gang

im looking for the best guitar amp simulation program. i have samplitube 2 demo'ing at the moment and like it so far. I would like to know of other options if better?

thanks - Bb
Old 25th July 2007
Gear Maniac

Amplitube 2 is ok, for an amp sim. I don't like the sound of Guitar Rig 2. It's a bit thin. Also check out Waves GTR.
Old 25th July 2007
Gear Addict

They are both pretty good for amp simulators, soundwise (bias disclaimer: I use amp sims when I need to be really quiet and/or noodling on ideas, but when I need to record a "real" guitar track, I always go back to a real deal all-tube amps, so take my opin in stride :-).

IK Multimedia has a deal going right now where you can buy Amplitube and get another one of their products free (Ampeg SVX, TRackS or Classik Reverbs), so that might affect your decision more than anything.

Amplitube can be a little more flexible in that you can choose the Power Amp separately from the Amp, so you can have the Marshall JCM800 sim running with a 6L6 or EL84 power amp section, or a Fender sim with a EL34 power amp section, etc. I don't believe Guitar Rig can do that - it may not be a big deal to you.

One big negative of Amplitube is that it does not have a Marshall JTM45 or Plexi model. It has a JCM800 and JCM900, but no 45 or Plexi. Can't figure that one out. Guitar Rig has JCM800 and Plexi. Both seem to have all the major Fenders, Roland Jazz Chorus. Amplitube has a licensed sim of the THD Bi_Valve, which is pretty cool.

Hope that is some help
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

I think both are pretty good but I'd probably go with Amplitube 2, and it's pretty much the only amp sim I use these days.
Old 26th July 2007
Gear Addict

thanks to my fellow sluts, my gut feeling was going to be amplitube
Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

I own GR2, and Amplitube (not 2). I've used Waves GTR. Like another poster, I now, only record through real amps, with mics. I tried for several years to get the sounds I wanted in the box, but I always failed. It is now rare for me to struggle. but, that is just me. I could very well just be an idiot when it comes to getting the best out of the software-based guitar stuff.

That said, my favorite software based guitar tool is actually the Nigel Guitar Processor that comes with the UAD-1 bundle. It is quick, easy and it sounds fantastic. It is not as flexible, but I like the sound better. It seems to ALWAYS be overlooked. But, when I am getting ideas down, or if re-amping a mix project just isn't working, I usually go to the Nigel first!

Don't overlook an outboard processor. I also have a Boss GT-8. This can be used as a direct device. It has amp and speaker sims, as well as mic choice, mic placement choice, etc. This is, of course coupled with with all fo the usual guitar effects (rev, dly, trem, wah, talk-wah, etc), as well as some very strange, esoteric effects. Personally, I find it to be more extensive than the software stuff, plus it sounds a little better IMO. It is also tactile, with knobs, butons, pedals, etc...which I certainly prefer. It is also expandable with more stomp and expression pedals.

The other advantage to the GT-8 (or a similar device) is that it can directly drive other outboard gear (compressors, analog delays, reverbs, etc) before the signal hits the DAW. To me, that makes for a cleaner, more pristine signal than using a software tool and piping the signal out and back in to use any outboard gear.

Just my thoughts.
Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Alien Connections Revalver. Alien Connections - Home of ReValver Mk II and the PS 2005 Sound Editor. Out of all the amp sims I've tried this one is by far my favorite. My 2nd choice would be gearbox. For High Gain stuff, Revalver just rocks!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search