The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
BOOM BOX FOR MIXING
Old 24th July 2007
Lives for gear

BOOM BOX FOR MIXING

I know alot of pro engineers use a boom box radio for a reference when mixing. What is a good 1 to use? I know anyone will sound fine but I cant find a small one with aux ins so I can hook it up to my mixer.

What do you use?

Thank you

Bryan
Old 24th July 2007
Lives for gear

well, you could just use one with disconnecting (flanking) speakers, and wire the speakers to a small power amp.

I have a generic JVC countertop molder, but I burn CDs to listen.
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

hmm

im gona get the mackie big knob......... a boom box would be a nice alt set of speakers
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

this one sounds amazing. I am using it for references and mixing

http://www.auxout.com/Shop/
Old 25th July 2007
Gear Head

Fisher Boom box

I have this Fisher boom box which was a christmas gift from Santa Clause that I use. I got it when I was 11 back in the 80s. It has an RCA in that I feed mixes into and the speakers are only 2 watts each.
To me this boom box really lets me know if something is sticking out or if something is to soft in the mix. It also has the fidelity of a decent computer speaker system minus the subwoofer.
If you have something like this that you grew up listening to it might be your best bet in tweaking your mixes.
Old 25th July 2007
Gear Head

I've used a lot of boomboxes in the past but I have to say the Bose Wave Radio (it has a aux in) is the best for checking what your mixes will sound like on the "new school" ipod dock/computer type systems. It does F with the sound (the Bose extended low end thing) but so do most consumer boom boxes, idocks and car systems out there. It is the REAL world for 90% of the listeners out there.
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

ok... thats the second time I've seen AuxOut links on this forum in 48 hours.

I don't get it, are they supposed to be bookshelf speakers...I mean do they have some redeeming quality other than being small and weird looking?
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A27Hull View Post
ok... thats the second time I've seen AuxOut links on this forum in 48 hours.

I don't get it, are they supposed to be bookshelf speakers...I mean do they have some redeeming quality other than being small and weird looking?
I bought one. They are 400 watts. the satellites each get 100 watts and the sub which has dual voice coil so sum the L&R gets 200. the satellites have a full range speaker...that means the mids don't get sliced by a crossover (like auratones). I payed for mine so I have no other interest than trying to be nice and turn people on to an amazing sounding portable ref. I use it with my MacBook Pro. I do sessions on them and now have a super small (bose wave radio size) system i can take anywhere that I go, etc, etc. YMMV
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

thanks to everyone
Old 26th July 2007
Gear Nut

buy one of those cassette to 1/8" adapters for hooking things into a car stereo...then you can use any boombox that has a cassette input...you can make an adapter for the 1/8" or just splice whatever cable/ends you want onto it.
Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Greedy View Post
I bought one. They are 400 watts. the satellites each get 100 watts and the sub which has dual voice coil so sum the L&R gets 200. the satellites have a full range speaker...that means the mids don't get sliced by a crossover (like auratones). I payed for mine so I have no other interest than trying to be nice and turn people on to an amazing sounding portable ref. I use it with my MacBook Pro. I do sessions on them and now have a super small (bose wave radio size) system i can take anywhere that i know, etc, etc. YMMV
First off, I apologize for my tone and implications.

If you bought them and you like them, then theres no prob with giving them praise.

If you were a dealer in poster's avatar, then that would be another thing I guess. I see some complaints about that sort of thing from time to time.

So, again, I apologize.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search