The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sennheiser MD 441-U vs. 441-2 vs. 441-?
Old 24th July 2007
Gear Addict

Sennheiser MD 441-U vs. 441-2 vs. 441-?

hello
what is the differences between the all the 441 mics?
Old 24th July 2007
Lives for gear

I used to know all of that off the top of my head, but the numbers and letters following Sennheiser mics typically will tell you if they're xlr, tuchel or whatever connector. I think they also might mean if they have the different settings. Wasn't there a version of the 421 that didn't have the M&S options? I might be wrong on that....I'm so out of the loop in the past few years on this. All of mine are "u5" versions. If someone has their owners manual for an orignal 421, it gives the details on each version.

m
Old 24th July 2007
Lives for gear

There is a low cut filter around the connector...and aHF switch on the body of the mic, In an attempt to reduce the price...a version was made without.
Old 24th July 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

thanks for your inputs!
I have seen both the 441-U and the 441-2 model and the both have 5-step lo-cut switch, but 441-2 has the tuschel connecter... is this better than xlr?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetatkinsdiet View Post
I used to know all of that off the top of my head, but the numbers and letters following Sennheiser mics typically will tell you if they're xlr, tuchel or whatever connector. I think they also might mean if they have the different settings. Wasn't there a version of the 421 that didn't have the M&S options? I might be wrong on that....I'm so out of the loop in the past few years on this. All of mine are "u5" versions. If someone has their owners manual for an orignal 421, it gives the details on each version.

m
think you are talking about the 421, not the 441..?
Lives for gear

Not better...just a different connector..

Mics for the US market had XLR's & a U suffix
Lives for gear

Tuchel is a nice connector, unfortunately, the world has more or less standardized on xlr. You'll have to get an tuchel to xlr cable. I think on your side of the pond it's easier to come by. Over here, they can be pretty expensive...well, $50-60 bucks or so for one. No big deal though.

m
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarman View Post
think you are talking about the 421, not the 441..?
Sennheiser uses the same system for their mics. Since I don't own a 441, but do own 421's, that's what I was talking about. It's the same for both mics though.

m
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetatkinsdiet View Post
Sennheiser uses the same system for their mics. Since I don't own a 441, but do own 421's, that's what I was talking about. It's the same for both mics though.

m
thumbsup
Gear Addict

My 441-2 has only a 2-step highpass and a 'big tuchel' connector (i.e. not the 'small tuchel' one).

Bram
Gear Nut

I´ve got 2 441´s and 3 421´s. I haven´t checked what suffix my 441´s have, interesting... Don´t know the extra letters on my 421´s either, but 2 of them have roll-off switches and tuchel connectors while the third one doesn´t have the roll-off and have an xlr connector instead (I suspect that it used to have tuchel, but has been modified. Or when did they start making them with xlr? My 421 with xlr is from the 70´s..).
Old 1st November 2014
Here for the gear

Tuchel Adapter

You can buy a Tuchel to XLR adapter off of Ebay for about $20 US. Can't vouch for their quality; just seen them there.
📝 Reply