The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Does the EQ-2NV sound like real 1081 EQ?
Old 24th July 2007
Lives for gear

Does the EQ-2NV sound like real 1081 EQ?

I got a brief chance to play around with a Great River EQ-2NV a while back, used it on bass guitar and kick. What I asked it to do.... in the little time I had.......it did really well. I have never used a real Neve 1081 (or reissue) only the plugins, but I like the sound of the plugs so much (espicially the UAD 1081) emu that I now want some real 1081 in my rack, problem is ..........the price. Sooooo..my question is - for those know both units - how much does the Great River EQ-2NV actually sound like a real 1081 EQ? Oh, yes, of course, as soon as I get the chance I'll try/compare for myself, but in the mean time, I welcome your opinion.

Thanks for your time!

Bill.

Old 24th July 2007
Lives for gear

Old 24th July 2007
A bit like a 1081, with a lot of API 550A thrown in for good measure. It's no secret I'm a huge fan of this box.
Old 24th July 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks!

Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

Just wanted to say how much fun I had using one of these for the first time over the past 5 days while tracking drums. Especially loved the HF shelf.
Old 25th July 2007
Gear Addict

I don't have a real 1081 to compare either, but I can tell you that I really love the EQ-2NV. It's clean, a bit thick, very smooth and very sweet. Great versitility with well-chosen frequency points and Q.

It's not "hairy" or "smearing" at all, so if you're looking for that kind of "mojo", the EQ-2NV is not it.

The other thing to notice is that it runs very hot, so make sure you have additional rack space above and below it.
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

Is it marketed as a 1081 clone?
Old 25th July 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
Is it marketed as a 1081 clone?
Not a "clone", but a "modernized" 1081/1083, as they say in the very first sentence of the product description: Great River Electronics
Old 25th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryschien View Post
Not a "clone", but a "modernized" 1081/1083, as they say in the very first sentence of the product description: Great River Electronics
Cool! Thanks for the link.
Old 26th July 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind-Over-Midi View Post
Thanks!

Anytime. BTW, love your avatar....Jimi and I have the same birthday, Nov 27...only I was sadly born 4 years after his death so I never had the fortune of seeing him live.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search