The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Extracting Voice
Old 23rd July 2007
Extracting Voice

Hi guys

I've got a stereo wave file, where I'd like to extract the voice. I think that it should be easily done, because the whole drum and guitar is panned left and the organ and some other instruments are panned right. The voice is completely mono in the middle and alone.

I don't know if I'm right, but I thought it could be done in a certain way with M/S.

Can anybody help me here?

Thanx in advance, kind regards
Murat the deft heh
Old 23rd July 2007
Lives for gear

well the only thing i know about extracting vocals is having the instrumental version of that same track that you already have, reversing the phase of the instrumental, and then combining the tracks. The phase reversal will cancel out the frequencies that it had in common(instruments) and leave what it did not(vocals). I read that somewhere but I can't remember where.

As far as a just straight up extraction, i don't konw if it can be done but maybe somebody else here does.
Old 23rd July 2007

well the Extra Boy stuff does it from www.elevayta.com

Its actually not bad for what it is. Is it objectively good? No - complete rubbish. Is it good considering the task is nigh on imposiible? yes.

It uses somekind of FFT analysis and wave inversion to isolate frequencies and you can thn pull them out. Mess around for a while, and if the vocal is distinct enough, you can pull it out. It'll be a bit mangled but hey, it kind of works...
Old 23rd July 2007
I don't have a instrumental version, but good idea
Old 23rd July 2007
P.s.: If you're going to recommend me any plugins that can do the trick. I use Apple with Logic 7.2
Old 23rd July 2007
Lives for gear

well im gonna let you know now that there wont be anything that can do what you are looking for. you are probably wanting a clean vocal extract with no noise but even though the track you have has all the instruments panned hard left/right, the fx(reverb, delay) still will bleed into that track that you extract using whatever plugin. it's gonna sound funny as hell.
Old 23rd July 2007
That's no problem, it doesn't have to be clean. It doesn't really matter if there's some bleeding, FX, etc. I think when I'd get 50-60% out it's way good enough for me
Old 23rd July 2007
Gear Guru

turn the left channel all the way down to get rid of the drums, then turn the right channel all the way down to get rid of the organ!

that ExtraBoy looks promising, especially if you are willing to settle for 50% of the way there. My attempt at humor does point out the difficulty of the task, however- center information is on both tracks, so extracting the vocal from a stereo mix is no easier than extracting it from a mono mix.

another idea that just popped into my head is that tools that cancel the vocal are quite common. maybe you could use one of those to create your "instrumental track" and then phase reverse it to extract the vocal.
Old 23rd July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
turn the left channel all the way down to get rid of the drums, then turn the right channel all the way down to get rid of the organ!

that ExtraBoy looks promising, especially if you are willing to settle for 50% of the way there. My attempt at humor does point out the difficulty of the task, however- center information is on both tracks, so extracting the vocal from a stereo mix is no easier than extracting it from a mono mix.

another idea that just popped into my head is that tools that cancel the vocal are quite common. maybe you could use one of those to create your "instrumental track" and then phase reverse it to extract the vocal.

i've actually tried that before and it definitely didn't work like you think it would. the whole theory behind combining both tracks starts from having the peaks of the wav files match each other. if the peaks arent matching then you won't even get 50% of what you are looking for. it will just sound like a complete mess.

but what is this for anyway, electronica?
Old 24th July 2007
Quote:

that would actually work if you have 3 channels, 1 for the left with the drums, 1 for the right with the organ and the 3rd one for the middle, the voice

tried some different settings, but i can't get it clean enough. still too much of other instruments in there

yes it is for electronic music. at the moment it seems that i have to look for another creative idea, instead of the voice...
Old 24th July 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz View Post
I've got a stereo wave file, where I'd like to extract the voice.
Put the tune onto a CD and play it through a surround receiver set to Dolby ProLogic. The voice will come out the center output, and the left and right stuff will come out the left and right.

--Ethan
Old 24th July 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz View Post
that would actually work if you have 3 channels, 1 for the left with the drums, 1 for the right with the organ and the 3rd one for the middle, the voice

tried some different settings, but i can't get it clean enough. still too much of other instruments in there

yes it is for electronic music. at the moment it seems that i have to look for another creative idea, instead of the voice...

hire a singer!
Old 24th July 2007

Extra Boy is used LOADs for this ... although its not brillaintly clean its a very common tool in the bootleg remix circuit.
Old 26th July 2007
Quote:
hire a singer!

what's a singer?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search