The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Leslie cabinet. Minor repair question?
Old 21st July 2007
Lives for gear

Leslie cabinet. Minor repair question?

My 3 year old son messed with my leslie one day.

There is a little band that connects the horn to a pully that goes down to the low rotor. Basically, my kid pulled this band loose.

Now, I can't quite figure out how to get it to go back on. There is a little tension mechanism in there that I don't quite know what to do with.

Any help would be appreciated. It looks like a really minor fix, but I don't want to mess any thing up.

Thanks so much!
Old 21st July 2007
Lives for gear

Call these guys. They will help.
Midwest organ gurus.

Redirect Script with JavaScript

Good luck, Todd
Old 21st July 2007
Gear Nut

ITs no big deal - you can access the rotor pulley by pulling the 15" speaker (coupla screws).
Old 21st July 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterlab View Post
ITs no big deal - you can access the rotor pulley by pulling the 15" speaker (coupla screws).
Well, He said the horn but also he said lower rotor. I can't imagine a 3 year old being tall enough to reach the horn belt. He must mean the lower rotor.

This would be a great time to replace the belt. It is also the perfect time to replace the rotor upper and lower bearing rubber bushings.They're availalble at Tonewheel general hospital.

Tonewheel General Hospital - : Category Menu: Leslie Speaker Parts - Hammond Organ and Leslie Speaker Parts

Pull the back cover off. Disconnect and remove the speaker wires. Remove the speaker. At that point you will be left with the bearing bracket which contains the rotor shaft and pulley which is let into a couple of notches in the speaker platform. You do not need to remove the shaft assembly if you're only reattaching the belt or installing a new one. You will see the old belt if it didn't break. Just slip it around the shaft pully on one end and the motor pulley at the underside of the speaker platform at the other. You will also see a simple adjusting mechanism in the shape of an eliptical slot with a adjusting wing nut on the motor bracket.

The belt tension is important. You will need enough tension initially to keep the belt in position without causing the bearing bracket to come out of the slots (the bearing/shaft bracket is held in place by the speaker screws). Reinstall the speaker. Start the leslie with the back still off. There should be some belt slippage as the rotor reaches fast speed. The amount really depends on rather it is a wooden rotor or foam. When switched to fast speed, it should take about 5 seconds for the lower rotor to reach full speed when the belt is at the proper tension. So you would adjust the motor bracket slot via the wing nut to acheive the correct belt tension. When you are satisfied with the rotor spin up speed, reassemble the back.

If you decide to replace the rubber bushings, you will need to pull the shaft for the top bracket. The bottom bushing in the bracket underneath the Leslie is reached by laying it on it's side.

Danny
Old 21st July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianodano View Post
Well, He said the horn but also he said lower rotor. I can't imagine a 3 year old being tall enough to reach the horn belt. He must mean the lower rotor.

This would be a great time to replace the belt. It is also the perfect time to replace the rotor upper and lower bearing rubber bushings.They're availalble at Tonewheel general hospital.

Tonewheel General Hospital - : Category Menu: Leslie Speaker Parts - Hammond Organ and Leslie Speaker Parts

Pull the back cover off. Disconnect and remove the speaker wires. Remove the speaker. At that point you will be left with the bearing bracket which contains the rotor shaft and pulley which is let into a couple of notches in the speaker platform. You do not need to remove the shaft assembly if you're only reattaching the belt or installing a new one. You will see the old belt if it didn't break. Just slip it around the shaft pully on one end and the motor pulley at the underside of the speaker platform at the other. You will also see a simple adjusting mechanism in the shape of an eliptical slot with a adjusting wing nut on the motor bracket.

The belt tension is important. You will need enough tension initially to keep the belt in position without causing the bearing bracket to come out of the slots (the bearing/shaft bracket is held in place by the speaker screws). Reinstall the speaker. Start the leslie with the back still off. There should be some belt slippage as the rotor reaches fast speed. The amount really depends on rather it is a wooden rotor or foam. When switched to fast speed, it should take about 5 seconds for the lower rotor to reach full speed when the belt is at the proper tension. So you would adjust the motor bracket slot via the wing nut to acheive the correct belt tension. When you are satisfied with the rotor spin up speed, reassemble the back.

If you decide to replace the rubber bushings, you will need to pull the shaft for the top bracket. The bottom bushing in the bracket underneath the Leslie is reached by laying it on it's side.

Danny
Thanks so much Danny,

It is actualy the upper belt that came off. My son was standing in a chair!

It really looks like such a simple fix, but I just don't know where the tension mechanism goes.

Could anyone post a picture of the upper belt/horn assembly? I see them in lots of shots, but they aren't big enough. If I just had a pic, I could fix it in seconds.

Thanks!
Old 21st July 2007
Lives for gear

I figured it out. Cool.

Thanks for your help guys.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search