The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Clip on mics+Clasical Guitar
Old 21st July 2007
Lives for gear

Clip on mics+Clasical Guitar

im toying with the idea of getting a clip on mic like the Audio-Technica AT898cT4

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AT898cT4/

to record my clasical guitar in my home studio. I had a pickup installed but its piezo and it sound hmm, plastiky and unatural. and i dont have a good recording environmnt to place a desent condenser mic which will have lots of noise.

anyone have recorded with clip on mics or use the internal mic that comes in some alvarez clasical guitars? and if so what do u think of them?

maybe i can get the piezo changed for a small mic but maybe the combination of a clip on and the piezo id get a more rich tone. (of course a nice wooden studio would be ideal but....) an inside mic would be nice as it will capture some air and it will be hidden to some extra room/big city noise.

i tried going to guitar center but the noise walla and speakers they use , cant tell clearly if they sound good or not.

what internal mics are out there that sound great that i could replace my piezo pick up?

Oh, piezo pick up is in the brigde not on the sound hole. (i dont think there are sound hole pickups for clasical like thereis for acustic)
Old 21st July 2007
Lives for gear

Old 21st July 2007
Lives for gear

I wouldn't dream of recording a classical guitar that close, 1m is as close as I've ever went, even with ensembles

If you really must have a mountable system, I have one of these for live (steel strung) work with an MKH40 and it's excellent: LiveGuitar H-clamp

For live classical/flamenco I always advise DPA mics...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search