The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tape Machine Issuse
Old 20th July 2007
Gear Maniac

Tape Machine Issuse

Whats good guys.... I just ran into an issuse with my Otari 50/50, I'm trin to print a mix to tape which I just did 2 days ago with no issuses... Now today when I go to print the mix to tape I got all the levels to 0 print my test tone then print the mix to tape ... After the mix is done I play the mix back on the tape I have no level and its all distored... We are using Quantegy 499 tape which is breand new, so I'm thinking maybe its the tape so I swap it out no good, clean the heads no good.. The kicker is when I play one of my other mixes from that same tape the other day it sounds great..... I know the heads have never been demagintized since i've owned it could that be part of the issuse??? Thanks
Old 20th July 2007
Gear Guru

Wild guess here. It may be a hygeine issue, not an electronic one.

It seems like your playback head is clean, but one or both of the other two may not be. The main point of head cleaning is to get tiny debris out of the gaps. These gaps are, of course, perpendicular to the tape path. If you've been cleaning the heads by swabbing from side to side, it's possible that you've been shoving crud into the gaps rather than out of them. So try swabbing front to back.
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

did you bias your machine?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search