The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
central station: phasing(?) when using both monitor A + C at the same time
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

central station: phasing(?) when using both monitor A + C at the same time

just hooked up my central station last night.... it seems to run OK... but, when i engage both monitor A and monitor C outputs at the same time, i get some sort of weird, phasey mix .... most definitely not a clean signal from both sets of monitors..

basically, using 2 sets of monitors at the SAME TIME is not possible.. as the quality of that phasey screwed up signal isn't worth listening to.

anyone else experience this?

i bought the CS second hand.. so i'm not sure if it has a problem or not.

thanks
taylor
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Sounds normal to me. You're hearing the phasing due to the acoustic phasing of the two sets of speakers. It's not a flaw in the CS, it's just physics. Why would you try to listen to both sets of speakers at the same time?
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

yeah, i won't use both sets at the same time ... good point, however, my Big Knob did NOT have this "problem"... although now i'm remembering its because i was listening to a THIRD set of speakers that was not near the other ones, so there was no phasing really...

if what you say is true (which it sounds logical to me)....

becuase right now, monitor A (adam A7) are sitting on top of a crappy pair of KRK. (monitor C).. when i play A+C at the same time, i hear the phasing.. and that's maybe because the monitors are right on top of each other, so the signals are coming at me from almost the exact same location.

i need to hook up monitor B (genelec 1030) which are in a different location in the room... and see if i get phasing when playing B + C... which maybe i won't, becuase they're in 2 different room locations.

sound right?

but, ultimately, yeah, i won't be using them at the same time.. i just wanted to know if it was a defect from my 2nd hand unit, which arrived in pretty bad shape! (i had to open it up and reattach the VU meters.. and someone had sawed off the rack ears!!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck View Post
Sounds normal to me. You're hearing the phasing due to the acoustic phasing of the two sets of speakers. It's not a flaw in the CS, it's just physics. Why would you try to listen to both sets of speakers at the same time?
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck View Post
+1

Old 20th July 2007
Jai guru deva om

The "C" output is meant for a subwoofer.

This is the second thread today starting out asking if a Central Station was defective, and it turns out it is something else.

War
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Got a big knob, Speakers on top of each other: Phase problem when used simultaniously (Which I dont)......Same thing........physics...
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

well, according to the manual, the C *could* be for a subwoofer, but doesn't have to be...

i have 3 sets of monitors.. i should dump one anyway!

adam A7, 1030A, some $300 pair of KRK.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
The "C" output is meant for a subwoofer.

This is the second thread today starting out asking if a Central Station was defective, and it turns out it is something else.

War
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

thanks for all the quick reply (i heart gearslutz)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search