The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
stereo EQ for those without Massive $
Old 2nd November 2002
Lives for gear

stereo EQ for those without Massive $

I'm very happy with my API 550's as tracking EQs. But I really don't have anything to use on the overall stereo mix (except a very cool Telefunken / stereo Hi/Lo filter. We all drool at the MP, but its just gone from "pricey, but attainable" to "no chance." What's out there for those of us with limited budgets? I'm looking for a real stereo EQ, not two mono units; otherwise the Speck ASC would probably be the right answer. The goal here is minor adjustments to the overall mix, so a single set of controls would be fine |(if something like that even exists; its common for stereo compressors, but I can't think of a stereo EQ with only one set of controls).

Suggestions? The only thing that keeps coming to mind is one of the nicer old Orban boxes. What else is out there, new or used? (although my budget probably will keep this to used gear)

thanks.

steve
[email protected]
http://home.pacbell.net/sjp/
Old 2nd November 2002
Gear Maniac

What´s you price range?

$5k Manley Massive Passive
$4k Summit Element 78
$3k Millenia NSEQ-2
$2k TL Audio EQ-2
$1k TL Audio 5013
Old 2nd November 2002
You can get a Neumann W495STB off of ebay.
A guy has been selling them (in pairs) since the Summer for about $7-800 (per 2).
They are 3 band and each unit is stereo.
I got a pair because someone told me that Geoff Emerick swore by them.......I can't guarantee that BTW.
Anyway, they are in 'as new' condition and the guy was very easy to deal with.
Don't know why he's selling them in pairs BTW.
Old 2nd November 2002
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso
Don't know why he's selling them in pairs BTW.
Because no one wants to get stuck with a single channel of EQ? The Specks are great but lack the color of a Massive Passive, much closer to something like a GML or Sontec. An Orban could be nice too but I reach for my Specks before the 622B about 95% of the time.
Old 2nd November 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs

Because no one wants to get stuck with a single channel of EQ?
I did say that each single unit is stereo.
Therefore you are buying 2 x stereo modules.
The questioner asked if there was a singlr eq module that was stereo and had one set of controls.
The W495STB is such a unit.
Old 2nd November 2002
Lives for gear

Re: stereo EQ for those without Massive $

Quote:
Originally posted by hollywood_steve
...The goal here is minor adjustments to the overall mix, so a single set of controls would be fine |(if something like that even exists; its common for stereo compressors, but I can't think of a stereo EQ with only one set of controls).

thanks.

steve
[email protected]
http://home.pacbell.net/sjp/
The TL-Audio EQ-2 does this. Flip a switch and Ch1 controls both channels (except for input/output gains). I would guess the HHB Classic EQ2 (?) would do this also.

It's the only EQ I know of that can do this.

I once (very long time ago) put some rubber bands between the knobs of an EQ to make both channels turn at the same time. For that to work, the EQ's chnls would have to be stacked (not side by side), have a clear path for the rubber band and it helps to have a perfectly round serrated knob....and pot that isn't tight.

Fleaman
Old 3rd November 2002
Lives for gear

This is my fave... and its a real 'SWISS ARMY' knife eq.

It is very neuetral and can do some serious scuplting if needs be.
And can wholeheartedly vouch for it on the stereo bus for a bit of 'tits and ass'.... tops and bottom end!.

The mids are fully parametric and can cut upto 30db and the HP and LP filters are simply the best i have ever used bar none. They have the ability to track indivualfrequnces to notch /boost etc and is a godsend etc on troublesome tracks. The unit also has compression and expansion on both 'tits and ass' This allows an inordinate amount of bottom end or nice and muscial crisp top end.

Overall a valuable peice of kit for my assenal.. this can shape crappy kik drums into something quite usable....

what is it?

CLM Dynamics db500 'Expounder' EQ

Look for a review on www.sospubs.co.uk (Sound on Sound)

PEACE
Wiggy
Attached Thumbnails
stereo EQ for those without Massive $-expounderadweb2.jpg  
Old 3rd November 2002
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso
I did say that each single unit is stereo.
Oh well. Ummm....fuuck
Old 4th November 2002
Gear Addict

I thought the SPL Stereo Q looked interesting for exactly this application. I've never heard one but it got me wondering (yes I'm a sucker for ad copy).tut

Anybody know about these things?

- jon
Old 4th November 2002
One with big hooves

Looks pretty cool. I haven't come across too many crappy solid state SPL products. What does it cost?
Old 4th November 2002
Gear Addict

That's the thing with SPL stuff. I did a Google search for 'SPL Stereo Q' and most of the results were not in english. Any results that were in english only had pricing in Euro's. One site had it for 509 Euro's. I'm not sure what that will mean for the US pricing though.

I think that up until very recently SPL hasn't had adequate representation in the States. However, there is a new US rep for SPL who I exchanged emails with a couple months ago. He seemed like a pretty straight up guy from my communication with him. I think they are going to push for better exposure on this side of the pond.

- jon
Old 4th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by cymatics
I think that up until very recently SPL hasn't had adequate representation in the States. However, there is a new US rep for SPL who I exchanged emails with a couple months ago. He seemed like a pretty straight up guy from my communication with him. I think they are going to push for better exposure on this side of the pond.

- jon
Yeah, Herb Quick... Great guy and was very helpful at AES.
Old 7th November 2002
Gear Maniac

The new Malcom Toft "A-Range" for £1299 maybe.....
Old 14th November 2002
Lives for gear

I can second the recommendation on the neumann W495 STB.
clean enough for the stereo sum.
good build quality (all switching design).
it's stereo and you should be able to get one for around 400 bucks. unfortunately, they don't show up all too often.

cheers,

michael
Old 15th November 2002
One with big hooves

I'm playing around with a borrowed Urei 546 right now. I tried it on a kick drum today for a few minutes and then decided that the kick sounded better without EQ at the moment. But, it seems pretty cool. Not exactly clean though.
Old 15th November 2002
Gear Addict

ahh...urei 546...i have one lying around and doing nothing. i should fire it up sometime and see if it still works.
Old 15th November 2002
Lives for gear

Man am I glad I got my "Massive Passive" brand new for way under 4k! I just beat the deadline unknowingly!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search