The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rock Vocal Effects Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 20th July 2007
Gear Addict

Rock Vocal Effects

Hey guys,

Got a couple of questions...

How exactly (please share your specific steps and settings) do you guys get that "dry", but not so dry, rock vocal sound? Put aside for a moment the issue of compression. I'm more interested in learning about the effects you use (ITB).

Also, when you guys use a slapback delay on a vocal (say around 26 ms on one side, and 32 ms on the other), how wide do you pan the fx returns? (for the lead vocal only). And do you always also use some pitch shifting? (eg. +/- 9 cents?)

And how do you go about finding that delicate balance of putting just enough slapback on the vocal, but not too much? I always struggle with that. Do you use headphones when doing that?

And one more question... do you EVER leave anything in the mix absolutely dry? (meaning, absolutely no fx whatsoever.. not even a room sound).

Please keep in mind that these questions are asked with a pop/rock mix in mind.

Thanks for any advice you can offer..
Old 20th July 2007

I struggle with this myself.
Old 20th July 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
I'm more interested in learning about the effects you use (ITB).
This comment will limt the responses since alot of us aren't using the plugs but the hardware boxes.

And i don't know how well the ideas carry over. For example part of the reason of using an outboard H3000, PCM 42 or an AMS 1580 is the coloration that the box imprints itself. I don't think this can be replicated in a plug(i could be wrong about it).

On the other points to get the upfront sound its a combination of the "Eventide" stuff, a chorus/flange, a really short room reverb and a little ping pong delay mixed in their for tails when needed. All of the effects are automated somewhat to blend. That goes for your slap question as well. If you can hear it its either too loud or too long. It should be felt more than heard unless its on purpose.

I am one of those guys that doesn't like to pan effects for the leads or backgrounds hard left or hard right but placed so the blend is strong and firm.

I only leave things totally dry if the natural room sound on the lead is perfect. But this goes back to your first statement about compression & EQ on the vocals in the mix which to me are the most crucial things that will impact your effect choices.

And lastly these kind of ideas work for all kinds of vocals regardless of genre be it rap,pop, musical theatre or Jazz.
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

slam the dry unffected track with compression and setup the sans-amp plugin as an aux. play with the presets. Every voice and every recording is different so it is hard to tell you a go-to method.
Old 24th July 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm still trying to grasp this stuff... and I understand that the hardware would work better...

Anyone else have anything to contribute?
Old 24th July 2007
Lives for gear

It actually much easier in the bOx in regards to Digital manipulation on the grid. Thrill is talking about outboard yummyness--so dont think you need tape.

Comping and highlighting words and even just syllables on a few dupliated tracks is what makes it easy. For starters --Start with a few duplicates or doubles and play around with very short verbs, delays, and distortion to frequencies in the vocal that are thin and bring them under the main vocal

It really depends on the track and the voice to what sounds best. Do a search too..many threads on this topic for you
Old 7th August 2007
Gear Addict

Hey guys. Got a follow up question (I'm the one who started this thread). When you guys put a slapback delay on a rock vocal... do you turn the feedback up at all? Or do you just leave it at zero?

Thanks
Old 7th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
How exactly (please share your specific steps and settings) do you guys get that "dry", but not so dry, rock vocal sound? Put aside for a moment the issue of compression. I'm more interested in learning about the effects you use (ITB).
Try a short mono to stereo delay say betwin 50ms and 200ms (it really depends on the song) also offset one return-channel some milliseconds (8ms-20ms) pan the returns outside not necessary hard left/right, just to taste. Also add a touch of a rather unobtrusive small room, Altiverb is fine for this and perhaps some chorus/flanging stuff to widen it abit more in a rather intimate way.

Perhaps you like to check the echoboy-demo from soundtoys. Beside being great plugins I'm sure you'll learn a lot just by useing the different chorus and delay presets.
Quote:
Hey guys. Got a follow up question (I'm the one who started this thread). When you guys put a slapback delay on a rock vocal... do you turn the feedback up at all? Or do you just leave it at zero?
It can be single delay it can be much more feedback, that's a thing I deal in contest with the rest of the mix.

happy trying...
Old 8th August 2007
Lives for gear

Alright Rockman,

I think this will be the answer to your prayers.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/fireworx01.mp3

That will give you want you want. It is hardware, but nothing can fuk with it. The presets are awesome. No need to tweak, just find the one that works for the situation.

Old 8th August 2007
Lives for gear

<< That will give you want you want. It is hardware, but nothing can fuk with it. The presets are awesome. No need to tweak, just find the one that works for the situation>>

I picked up a Fireworx recently. Do you have any "go to " presets? Thanks!!
Old 8th August 2007
Lives for gear

I just flip through while listening with the dry vocal and pick whatever sounds interesting and then check it in the track. No go-to starting point tho.
Old 8th August 2007
Lives for gear

recently i discovered my new to-go recipe: aux an old (that means "not working like it should") tape delay, crank up the input till distortion, play with the "tone" pot, blend to taste. most of the time I even end up without any delay at all, using just the distorted track...
but maybe this is working only for a certain kind of "rawk"
Old 8th August 2007
Lives for gear

Little Richard "Tutti Frutti" is a good (the best) example for rock.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search