The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
R84 in a vocal booth - problem with Fig 8?
Old 20th July 2007
Here for the gear

R84 in a vocal booth - problem with Fig 8?

Hi everyone. First post here. Thanks for the education!
I am planning to order an AEA R84 (djv version) as a vocal microphone. My other current mics are an A/T 4050 and a Beyer M88. Mic pres: Tube Tech MP1A and RNP. I believe I have sold the MP1A, however. Love it, but needed the funds!

Here is my question. Given that the R84 has a figure 8 pattern, will this present problems when recording in a vocal booth? I use a 6' x 4' Whisper Room to track vocals. Unfortunately, I can't use a larger room very often.
How will the backside of the mic work in terms of picking up unwanted reflections in the Whisper Room? The walls are lined with the usual 2" foam. I assume the lower frequencies bounce around, but that hasn't been a problem with the cardioid patterns of the other mics.

Thank you for any advice!
Old 20th July 2007
Gear Guru

the 84 is sensitive to comb filtering from close, reflective surfaces, and it has a gargantuan low end so you *really* need to have your lows and low-mid resonances killed.

my guess is that the 84 will sound best when placed diagonally, so that it's pointed at the corners of the booth rather than the sides. that way no direct reflections will fire straight into either side of the ribbon, and the walls of the booth will be more in the null zone of the figure 8 pattern.

but that's just a guess... experiment with positioning, it makes all the difference in the world.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

It's also possible to affix some felt with a rubber band to deaden one side of a figure 8. Or maybe mount a larger piece of foam on a pop screen behind the mic, as well as the usual one in front.
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Make a corner gogo (a "V" shape) around the back side of the mic. Check out "Realtraps" Portable vocal booth. I made my own and used it when tracking acoustic gtr's, vocals and some acordian with my ribbons and it really really took the room out of the equation.
Hope this helps.
Old 20th July 2007
Jai guru deva om

I would try an sE Electronics Reflexion filter in this situation.

War
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

I use an AEA R84 (regular, non-DJ version) in a 4'x4' vocalbooth.com vocal booth with no reflection problems or flutter echoes. Great River pre & EQ. It is my preference for how a vocal should sound, and I wish this sound (Beautiful, incomparable midrange) would make its way into modern pop and rock recordings.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search