The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mixing for the Mastering Eng?
Old 20th July 2007
Gear Maniac

Mixing for the Mastering Eng?

Ok so I have a few questions for anyone who wants to que in. How many people nowadays keep the mastering engineer in mind when mixing?
Reason I am asking is, I was working on this idie rock record this last week and it tripped me out cuz every mix I sent them they were like it sounds great but we want everything louder. Even got an email that went" louder louder louder...." I was like what the F**k? Then I final had to ask them if they planned on getting it mastered and they were stunned like no we thought you could handle it. So I final just throw the Massy mastering limiter on the stereo buss and smashed it tell they was no dynamics and they said it was perfect. Is the process of doing records gone straight out the window? Any thoughts?

J
Old 20th July 2007
Mastering Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGILL View Post
Is the process of doing records gone straight out the window? Any thoughts?

J
Yes it has...unfortunately. A small stronghold remains though. Some great records are still being made. IMO a consequence of the changes we are experiencing in life/society
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

most bands I work with don't understand mastering. Its the name of the game today I'm afraid.

Still, such reckless abandon can be a major pro in some bands favour.
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

It is a sad state of affair, but I will generally give rough/pre-mastered mixes to the bands/artists with Vintage Warmer or UAD Precision plugs strapped across the master, just to counter act the fact that bands will compare their tracks to commercial releases...

I usually send both the non-slammed and the slammed mixes of each track with a note of explanation to the mastering engineer.
I usually let them know that the band like the slammed one, for his reference.
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
a consequence of the changes we are experiencing in life/society
so true. music (and art in general) is kind of mirror of ourselves and state of our society...

i guess its the future getting closer to us...

(in borg voice) you will be assimilated..resistance is futile...

anyway some ppl are actually mixing for the master (not ME) and this can help on some issues including loudness... compensate for master while mixing if you wish.

but... does it sound good.. well. thats another story...IME its a simple way to lessen the damage a bit.

by now i think its pretty obvious that something needs to be done... either k-system or some other standardisation on loudness issues... or... relasing 2 different products... one squashed and digitally sandpapered for the future... and one dynamic and natural for the past (not likely) heh

or... educate ppl to stay reasonable.. fairly natural and fairly loud at the same time cos it can be done. i find old too quiet and dynamic recording equally annoying as newish supersquarewaveloud ones.
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGILL View Post
OSo I final just throw the Massy mastering limiter on the stereo buss and smashed it tell they was no dynamics and they said it was perfect. Is the process of doing records gone straight out the window? Any thoughts?
No, it was always like that. Everybody always wanted a loud record. It was a real battle with singles. The point though is that these days it's way easier to achieve; just like you described.

My advice: Put the Massey on everything (it IS a great plug-in), collect the cash and move on to the next project.
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

those damn indi kids! rrr!
Old 21st July 2007
Gear Maniac

Ha ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
No, it was always like that. Everybody always wanted a loud record. It was a real battle with singles. The point though is that these days it's way easier to achieve; just like you described.

My advice: Put the Massey on everything (it IS a great plug-in), collect the cash and move on to the next project.
Good point... Since bugets these day hardley ever seem to have mastering even in mind. But oh well it's there record. Thanks everyone for your opinions.

J

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search