The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help with picking a transparent guitar Overdrive pedal!
Old 20th July 2007
Gear Nut

Transparent overdrive boosts

Transparent = ambiguous term..
more of a clean boost --- (like the MXR micro amp or EHX Linear power booster)
Something to push a tube amp into distortion, with alot of clean headroom?
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

MXR Micro-Amp
Old 20th July 2007
Gear Addict

Super Duper

Trust me, the ZVEX SUPER DUPER is what you want!!!
Its AMAZING!
Jonny
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Fulltone Fulldrive 2, or maybe the new pedal he's got coming out called
the GT-500, that looks like it could be interesting.
Also, Xotic RC Booster is nice for pushing the front end of an amp that's
on the edge of breakup. One day I'm gonna throw away what's left of my
common sense and go ahead and spend way too much money on a Klon,
though, just to see what all the fuss was about.
Old 20th July 2007
I ran through a bunch of pedals not too long ago and the one that really fit the vibe I was after was the Boss SuperOverdrive. I use that thing so much that I generally don't even use distortion pedals anymore.
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
I ran through a bunch of pedals not too long ago and the one that really fit the vibe I was after was the Boss SuperOverdrive. I use that thing so much that I generally don't even use distortion pedals anymore.
Check out Monte Allum's mods for the SuperOverdrive- they kick ass.

Several other options for clean boost are a modded Danelectro Daddy-O or Voodoolab Sparkle Drive.
The Sparkle Drive is one of my faves- I'm using it, Voodoolab Super Fuzz and ZVex Fuzz Factory the most.
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Ibanez tubescreamer and a Fulltone OCD. Between those two I can get everything I'm looking for. From blues to country to rock. Those two rock!
Old 20th July 2007
Gear Guru

I've been playing for 30 years, and I've never used an overdrive or distortion pedal. Why would anyone want to stick something between their guitar and their amp, anyway?
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Pigtronix Disnortion
Old 20th July 2007
Zvex Box of Rock. It has two stomps, one for boost, and one for distortion, so you can use whatever combination of the two works for your application. I sometimes use this with my Marshall Plexi when I need a pre-boost, or even a little extra dirt. It was the only pedal that didn't make it stop sounding like a Marshall, even with the distortion engaged.
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

MXR Micro Amp -Great
Klon - Greater
Pete Cornish Linear Mute Boost -even greater
Analogman King Of Tone -Best
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

The one and only:

Butler Audio

If you want options like options like subtlety, get the BIAS mod. The pedal alternates the mod between a 12EU7 and a 12AT7 tube. Really helps you appreciate the sound of a tube when you roll over back and forth over it.

I won't ever need another overdrive pedal.
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelepstein View Post
Been thinking about the voodoo labs sparkle drive alot...
anyone know how they compare with Keeley's, analogman's,
or Maxon's TS-808 Mods?
I have Sparkle Drive and AnalogMan.......SD gives the creamier overdriven tone that I'm after and I love the option of blending in the original signal.

For more crunch and distortion I put the 808 in front of the SD.
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Keeley mod gives much more gain than the standard version, plus teh od side goes much cleaner. Can't remember the other features of the mod
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Not trying to be a wiseass but 'Transparent Overdrive' is a paradox. But at the same time we all absolutely know what you mean........

For me it's definitely 'distortion' and not 'overdrive' that might fit your search. I like the Fulltone FullDrive 2 for a lot of things but 'transparent' is never a word that I'd closely associate with it.

On the other side of the spectrum, a MXR Micro Amp can be great (if it's an original, but I'd rather recommend the Z.Vex Super Hard-On or Super Duper ) but I'm not sure if you'd be happy with using these as 'clipping generators'. It might get too bright and transient-heavy but naturally it will also depend on your playing technique and the guitar.

For me (as a Tele and sometime Strat player) the AnalogMan Boss DS-1 is by far the most 'transparent' distortion I've ever used. WAY better sounding than a stock Boss DS-1, with great low end and a tendency not to mess up harmonics when playing chords.

I'd also try compressors, I have a feeling that this would get you closer to the sound you want: Keeley, AnalogMan BiComp, Electro Harmonix Black or White Finger are all worth a try. Fender guitars thru Fender amps can get real brittle when using distortion or booster pedals so a compressor set to minimum compression but with a healthy boost might get you into the elusve 'transparent overdrive' zone.
Old 20th July 2007
Gear Head

Fulltone OCD!!!!!!! You must try this pedal. It is more of a British vibe, but the responsiveness of the overdrive is wonderful. It can be pretty clean and cruncy if you play soft and breaks up artfully if you play agressively. I think most overdrive pedals fail where the OCD excels: for rhythm work. A little expensive at somewhere around $160. There's no tubes in this thing yet it has to be used with a tube amp.
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Get a Bad Monkey and spend your money on something sexier than a stompbox.
This is coming from a guy with shelves and boxes full of effects pedals.
On the boutique tip, the Kaden Pavo Booster and Black Box X-Ray are two excellent clean boost pedals with a little added grit.
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

The OCD is a great pedal but in no way is it a transparent pedal in the sense that it delivers a lot of clean gain. I think the OCD excels at giving you British sounding lead tones and crunch.

I personally use a Keely modded Boss Blues Driver with my Twin Reverb to do exactly what you are describing. I play almost a complete set with that pedal left on. I set it so that the drive is at a minimum and the volume is adjusted to taste. When you dig in then it really pounds the front end of the amp in a natural way.

Go here to hear a clip of a Tele through my Twin Reverb with the Blues Driver. Listen to the song called "All This Time". This is a band I recorded at my studio.

www.myspace.com/farewelltypewriter

Brad
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

true, the guy who runs the company is my friend....but, really this pedal is THE transparent OD:

http://www.zacharyguitars.com/Pedals.htm

i did an A/B with the klon....it was not even funny how much better the z pedal was (not to mention the z could give you way more drive if you wanted it).

but the main thing is that it is transparent. you hear the guitar. harmonics like you have not heard.

feel free to pm me for clips or a demo in NYC.

final edit: i just re-read the original post....the z pedal is $400....so it does not fit that "cheaper than the klon" criteria....but it is a better pedal.....MUCH better.
Old 20th July 2007
Here for the gear

I will nominate the Menatone Red Snapper. Excellent light to medium overdrive, not very compressed, lets the sound of the guitar shine through.

Also, check thegearpage.net, there are literally 100 threads on that site asking the exact same question. They average about 4 of them a week or so.
Old 20th July 2007
Vum
Lives for gear

Jeckyll and Hyde - great two channel overdrive/distortion box. You can find it on Ebay at around $100.

Also the RealTube box is great, not super transparent, but versatile and warm warm warm
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

I bought an Ibanez Tube Screamer Turbo from Analogman. It has four Turbo setting that alter the gain. I think it works/sounds great.

Davet
Old 20th July 2007
Gear Addict

+1 for Boss SD-1. Does exactly what it says on the tin.
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Nothign beats the MK 4.24 from Creation Audio Labs. It is the same circuit that is in the new MW-1 guitar tool.

I am simply madly in love with what this does for any tube amp. It really does push the amp harder with NO distortion... so the added gain you get is from pushing the front of the amp. NOTHING else sounds like that. It's amazing... makes the amp sound like it's just about ready to explode!

You are cheating yourself if you don't try this thing out... Amazing.
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Trans-illusionary Confussion

I have an very old (1968) Electro Harmonix LPB-1 (Linear Power Booster) a little 3"x2"x1" Box with a female input jack on one end and a male plug sticking out the other end that goes into the amp.This is as close to transwhatever you said as I've heard.I've used all kind of preamps over the years internal ( inside the guitar ) and external ( floor and rack ) . I really like my Mesa V-twin pedal,but it has it's own flavor,a Chandler Tube driver comes closer to Transparent but only closer,The Mesa pedal does much more than just a clean boost and with stock tubes has way to much gain for me ,mines been tamed by putting in two low-gain 12ay7's I also like using a 7247 in it for a good dirty/Vintage sounding Blues tone.I also have the rack mount version which adds a whole lot of other colors into the mix.My favorite though is my Boogie Triaxis into my Fender Twin Reverb.It's certainly does more than clean boost,But the Rhythm Yellow channel is the best Clean tone I have ever used and can be set to give enough drive to get dirty and controlled by the volume on the guitar go from clean to overdriven.

I also like compression on my guitar,I use a Boss CL-50 Half rack Compressor/limiter with full set of controls sensitivity,ratio,attack and release plus input and out put level.This would probably fit the bill for what your looking for the best.Fairly close to transparent, Depending on how you use it any ways.Can be used for just a slight gain boost if thats what you want,Way more versatile than any foot pedal comp I've ever ran across.

But Thats a whole lot a preamp there( the Triaxis ) and about a grand more than the Klon.I would like to check out the analogeman pedal mentioned above, I have heard good things about it.
Old 20th July 2007
From your post you are looking for a clean boost and are on the right track with the Klon. A lot of the suggestions above do their own clipping and distortion and aren't the same animal as a clean boost (the Klon can do a clean boost - it can also add some overdrive of its own). I use and love a Fulltone Fat Boost which is much cheaper and more available than the Klon for this. People also rave about the Z.Vex Super Hard On (someone above mentioned the Super Duper which is 2 Super Hard On's in one box), which is also a clean boost. You should check the Fulltone and Z.Vex pedals out if you're looking for a cheaper version of the Klon - it won't be the same but I think it'll be right in the wheelhouse you're looking for.
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillHo View Post
Fulltone OCD!!!!!!! You must try this pedal. It is more of a British vibe, but the responsiveness of the overdrive is wonderful. It can be pretty clean and cruncy if you play soft and breaks up artfully if you play agressively. I think most overdrive pedals fail where the OCD excels: for rhythm work. A little expensive at somewhere around $160. There's no tubes in this thing yet it has to be used with a tube amp.
+ a billion thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Damn!!! lots of OCD love. need it!

If the BAd Monkey is a poor man's klon. then the Klon must be quite a coloured pedal.

Love the Bad Monkey with volume full and gain off, pushing a Hiwatt or Marshall on the edge of breakup. Fat,bold and dynamic, with very useful dual EQ.

But its dirty and mean and coloured, in a good way.

I keep coming back to that instead of my Tube Screamer modded TS9 which is more compressed...

My ZVEX super duper 2-in-1 is a nice lively clean boost. But its a full range boost, so when you dime it you get a ton of bottom end "woof" and "blown-up amp" tone. Plus it has a nice treble sheen to it... Definitely transparent, but a noticeable treble lift.

A treble booster would probably suit me better
Old 21st July 2007
Lives for gear
Click here: Robert Keeley Electronics Guitar Effects Pedals Mods, Custom Built High Fideli best guitar comp in the world and his modded blues driver pedal is prob what your looking for cheap and money back if you dont like
Old 21st July 2007
Lives for gear

Ilitch Electronics LLC[www.ietone.com] - Welcome - All analog, revolutionary designs for superior Guitar Tone! Dynamic Distortion.....I was skeptical until I tried it.... you'd better be warmed up, it won't hide the bum notes (just like playing a tough amp (which in my book is a GOOD thing))

Andy
📝 Reply