The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
UA 1176LN noisy - normal?
Old 19th July 2007
Lives for gear

UA 1176LN noisy - normal?

I was very excited to receive my UA 1176LN blackface. It is the current, new UA model.

The 'vibe', in terms of the imparted color to the sound is great...just what I expected. But, my unit is terribly noisy when pushed, even slightly.

Basically, with both knobs at 12 o'clock (24), the unit is relatively quiet. but, if you push either one clockwise, the hum starts to get louder and louder. It becomes, IMO unusable at 24-18. 18-18 is ridiculous.

My signal path is usually..

Mic -> Preamp -> 1176LN -> DAW

It makes the same noise on the Insert of any channel as well.

I recorded a sample of the hum, but it did not upload properly. I'll retry later.

Anyone else's hum horribly when 'pushed'?

Thanks.
Old 19th July 2007
Lives for gear

Funny enough, the "LN" is supposed to stand for "Low Noise".

....either that or "Leveling Namplifier". Take your pick. :D
Old 19th July 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks! Yeah, I've tried it with several mics and PREs...just used it with an SM7B the other day

It really doesn't seem to matter what I run through it. I will do some more physical testing, in terms of different cables, different patch bay, etc.

I really hope mine isn't hosed. I HATE waiting for warranty repairs. I *might* be able to get my dealer to swap it out.

Any one else have this issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
Never heard of such an issue.

Funny enough, the "LN" actually stands for "Low Noise".

....either that or "Leveling Namplifier". Take your pick.

Yeah it shouldn't do that. Have you tried it with another mic, on other sources? I'm always surprised by how much buzz there is in an original sm7 by the time I get around to compressing it.
Old 19th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthe View Post
Any one else have this issue?
nope.
Old 19th July 2007
Lives for gear

I ran out to a local retailer here to check this out on a different unit. I essentially plugged their demo unit up to a Pre and out to a demo monitor. It *seemed* almost as noisy. It was hard to say for sure because my studio is so much quieter than their room. But, given the difference in ambient noise, the 2 units seemed quite noisy.

Am i doing something wrong? Has any one here used their unit at these levels (18 and 18)?

I realize that the best way to operate it is to turn both knobs fully CCW, adjust the Input CW until you get amount of GR you want, then adjust the output to suit the necessary levels for the track. This is what I usually do. With louder source mics (like LDCs), it is easier to get the amount of GR I want without pushing it too hard.

But, with my SM7B (and other, quieter mics/Pres), I have to push it hard...which results in buzz/hum/hiss.
Old 19th July 2007
Lives for gear

Why don't you feed your 1176 with a hotter signal via the mic pre? I hardly ever turn the input on mine past half and i've never had any noise issues.
Old 19th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Parsons View Post
Why don't you feed your 1176 with a hotter signal via the mic pre? I hardly ever turn the input on mine past half and i've never had any noise issues.
Good point. Like I said in my previous post, it is with low output stuff that this is really a problem.

For instance, I was tracking a vocalist this weekend through an SM7B -> Trident 4T -> 1176LN -> DAW

Given the insanely low output of the SM7B, I had to REALLY drive the Trident (thank GOD it is clean...though not *super* loud). By the time the signal reached the 1176LN, it was still relatively weak. I had to drive the 1176 pretty hard to get a decent level. This was NOISY!

To get something usable, I had to drive the Trident past 80% on both input and output, just so I could turn the output of the 1176 down to just over 24...which quiesced it to the point that it was usable.

I'm just not sure I am willing to accept that level of noise. I mean, I LOVE the sound, but none of my other comps/limiters get noisy when I push them...even my cheap-o ones. Then again...where else am I going to get that sound?

Maybe I should try to trade it for a Distressor, or something...
Old 20th July 2007
Gear Guru

NO.......... 1176 Black Face KICK ASS.....quiet
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Are you sure it's not an original SM7? Those can be kinda noisy. The SM7B is dead quite in my experience.

I don't know what to tell you. 2 1176 reissues sounded noisy? I'm surprised.
Old 20th July 2007

I haven't used a UA 1176 personally but I've read about the same issue somewhere. I'm not sure if I read about it in this forum (I couldn't find the thread). Basically, I was asking about some equipment that I'd like to buy, UA 1176 included, and someguy told me to be aware that those units were a bit noisy.
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

I've been messing around with it a little more tonight.

Like I said before, it *really just happens when I have to lean on it pretty hard. That is to say, anything that puts out a 'normal' signal is fine.

Also to clarify - It is assuredly an SM7B. It is not noisy by itself, at all. In fact, it is dead quiet. If I took the 1176 out of the chain, the noise went away.

The more I mess with it tonight, the more I see that it really isn't too bad, over all. I'm still learning it. I've only had it for a month. I've only tracked with it 3 times and mixed with it on several tracks. The only time that the noise was an issue was with quiet sources that required me to push the gain from the 1176 to get a decent level.

The sound is irreplaceable, I've decided!heh

Lesson learned!
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

It's not noise ...it's warmth.....
Old 20th July 2007
Gear Guru

I have a low serial number 1176LN reissue and I don't notice any noise at all feeding from a mic or line input. Sounds like somehting is wrong or UA changed out some parts for cheapies. I love my 1176. Clamps down when tracking
vocals oh so right.
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

If you're able to, hook a mic up to a pre, runh from the pre through the 1176LN and into your DAW. Make sure monitoring is on for whichever track you've armed the setup to. Then, put both knobs on 12, please. If your's is quiet, I need to exchange mine!

I don't want to be a pest, but I have a limited window of exchange time left...then it is a warranty issue.I'd rather swap mine out. It is MUCH faster that way. So, if you...or any one, for that matter, could do that, i'd be very grateful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
I have a low serial number 1176LN reissue and I don't notice any noise at all feeding from a mic or line input. Sounds like somehting is wrong or UA changed out some parts for cheapies. I love my 1176. Clamps down when tracking
vocals oh so right.
Old 20th July 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Are you sure it's not an original SM7? Those can be kinda noisy. The SM7B is dead quite in my experience.

I don't know what to tell you. 2 1176 reissues sounded noisy? I'm surprised.

Hmm... yeah, I have two 1176 reissues and they're both kinda noisy too.
It's never so noisy that it was unusable but I would say that both of mine have some hum.

What ratio are you using?
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Never heard of such an issue.

Funny enough, the "LN" actually stands for "Low Noise".
I thought that it was "Less Noise".

I always thought that the Urei was a bit noisey, but I've never used the UA one.
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Your input level seems high for some reason.

Is your level maintaining a nominal level when passing through the 1176 or are you boosting the level?

We have 2 early UA 1176's and to get a moderate compression on vocal, bass etc the input is usually between 30 and 24 output 12. No noise.

Todd
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

I have definitely noticed that if you don't take a little extra time fiddling with the input and output, that the 1176 LN can be noisy. And there have been a few times when it just didn't work because of that and I used a Distressor instead.

Seems like the input knob is really pretty sensitive and incrementing by 1/2 steps and adjusting the output volume can make a pretty big difference in noise level....
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

I'm glad I'm not crazy. Nor do I think there is anything wrong with mine, given that the other one I demo'd sounded the same.

Like I said, it really came down to being somewhat of a novice on this particular unit. Learning its temperament will go a long way towards using it properly.

To the poster who noted my input levels seeming high, it was strictly for testing. I can't think of a scenario where I'd have to push it *that* hard. But, I was expecting it to be a little quieter at that level, none-the-less. I can crank my LA-610. Klark Teknik DN500, DBX 160Xs, etc without as much 'self noise'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybregar View Post
I have definitely noticed that if you don't take a little extra time fiddling with the input and output, that the 1176 LN can be noisy. And there have been a few times when it just didn't work because of that and I used a Distressor instead.

Seems like the input knob is really pretty sensitive and incrementing by 1/2 steps and adjusting the output volume can make a pretty big difference in noise level....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search