The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Can I use heavy moving blankets for a pinch fix on room deadening?
Old 19th July 2007
Gear Head

Can I use heavy moving blankets for a pinch fix on room deadening?

Hey, slutz. The room I generally track drums in is my living room, but unfortunately it's way, way too live. We're talking big space, vaulted ceiling, parallel walls and tile floors. Drum tracks come with all sorts of bleed and the overheads can be a mess. Basically, what I wanted to do, is try moving the drums into a smaller, cube-like room of the house, but cover the walls in thick moving blankets for some absorbtion. Is this the best ticket for budget constraints? Keep in mind I'm not looking to permanently treat a room right now, even though I'd like to, I just need a suitable fix to get me by. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Daniel
Old 19th July 2007
My drum booth is a 12 x 12 room (eight foot ceiling) and I padded the walls with those "insulation panels" that are a couple inches of fiberglass with a mottled white plastic surface... ceiling tile idea? And then draped carpet a few inches out from that, floor to ceiling. And there's a suspended panel, under the ceiling, of the fiberglass stuff, wrapped in blue fabric, that stretches nearly wall to wall. And then layers of quilted bedspreads tacked over the walls.

Sounds spacious and quiet in there, very expansive, and works great for a drumkit.

I love those packing blankets you can get from Uline, cheap too, the "deluxe" ones are only $20 or something. I've wrapped racks with them, and you pile on enough, it deadens the sound miraculously. Brand new, fresh-out-of-the-washer packing blankets, something very special about that, somehow.
Old 19th July 2007
Gear Guru

The problem with blankets is you end up only absorbing the high end and leaving the mids and lows bouncing all over the room. So with that said I would not do it, but build or buy proper things for your room. Most of the rigid fiberglass or mineral wool products can me just hang on the wall and moved if you need to. But if you are hell bent on blankets I would go and get some rolls of fluffy fiberglass and stack that in every corner of the room to help with bass trapping. This is in no way the "pro" way to go, but it will help.

Glenn
Old 19th July 2007
Yeah, I agree that as good as moving blankets can be for some things, they don't work well as wall coverings on their own because of reflectivity issues. Many of them have a fairly dense thread count and that is going to bounce back higher frequencies than a loose, airy weave (like a regular wool blanket). You'll get less bleed through with a moving blanket, obviously.

I used to use a folded moving blanket in a window in my old room I was trying to absorb neighborhood noise with. It was an urban neighborhood, with a lot of big, booming car stereos playing hip hop. The moving blanket was folded into the window's recess. I then used a foam absorbant panel over that. It wasn't ideal but it worked
Old 19th July 2007
If you don't mind sleeping on the floor for a few days you can set your queen sized mattress up against the wall in a suitable corner config. I did this way back when I recorded Chester Thompson's excellent Sonar drums.

It eliminated standing waves into the bass region, a poor man's trap.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 19th July 2007
Lives for gear

if you pinch "pleat" the blankest to increase surface area then they will be fine..ya just need many more blankets
Old 19th July 2007
Gear Nut

The blankets might help for vocals, maybe acoustic guitar, but they don't absorb squat below about 1KHz, so they'd make your cymbals sound dull and do almost nothing for kick and toms. Get some 703, even 1" of it does better than packing blankets.
Old 20th July 2007
Gear Nut

what does everyone think of using blankets in conjunction with about 10-15 sheets of 703 in a room across corners...703 for broadband...blankets covering the rest of the reflective surfaces...this is for a basement to track drums in.
Old 20th July 2007
I've used blankets many times before with good affect. No, it won't help your low mids or lows, but it's as good as 703 in the highs as far as I can tell. Basically you're just building a raw gobo...leave the main room moderately live, and use the gobos to deaden and spot isolate (at least that's what I prefer).
Old 20th July 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
I've used blankets many times before with good affect. No, it won't help your low mids or lows, but it's as good as 703 in the highs as far as I can tell. Basically you're just building a raw gobo...leave the main room moderately live, and use the gobos to deaden and spot isolate (at least that's what I prefer).

There's an idea! I never thought about keeping it in the main room and deadening a particular zone. Does that work with good effect?

Thanks for the replies all!
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

The 703 + blankets would at least provide you with some control for the drums. The blankets will do nothing more than tame the cymbals. You'll still end up with a muddy sound.

Bryan
Old 20th July 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpape View Post
The 703 + blankets would at least provide you with some control for the drums. The blankets will do nothing more than tame the cymbals. You'll still end up with a muddy sound.

Bryan

All right, thanks for the heads up! I'll have to find a way to work in those two.
Old 21st July 2007
Gear Nut

I get blankets form a place called Markertek.. I'm not entirely sure if they are different than standard moving blankets, but are sold as sound absorption blankets. Use them in tandem with bass traps, and I think you'll be good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search