The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Whats so great about the Beach Boys lyrics?
Old 21st November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
I I'm not trying to sound racist, but in our community the phrase "sounds white" is descriptive of a certain sound which seems to exist on a planet without black people, -- no blues or blues inflection, no rhythm in a syncopated fashion; nothing that "grooves" or makes you want to move your booty. It's all vanilla, and I wasn't interested in vanilla. It has nothing to do with WHITE PEOPLE, it has to do with a style of music.
Henry,

Although I grew up in completely different part of the world and in a suburbian climate that was very 'white' so to say, I still think that I had pretty much the same reaction to music as you had. For me it started more with rock acts like the Stones, Deep Purple or Santana but blues, soul and jazz soon followed.

In a way, I was probably as far away from the 'Beach Boys culture' as you were though geographically you were much closer. Blues, rock and 'swing' and 'groove' were always what got me going and even though today I truly think that say 'Pet Sounds' is one of the best records ever made, that music is still much more remote to my heart than say Muddy Waters or Jimi Hendrix. ABBA were white, European and clean-cut but even though I can admire the muicality of their work, it feels much more foreign to me than 'black' soul or 'white' country music.

But isn't that the great thing about music, it transcends everything: race, gender, geography and language. It IS a language but it's also so much more than a language.
Old 21st November 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
But isn't that teh great thing about music, it transcends everything: race, gender, geography and language. It IS a language but it's also so much more than a language.

But isn't that the great
Yes, it is the great thing about music.
Old 22nd November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Besides rock and roll is really about rebellion. It's about, to generalize, young people standing up and being independent. The Beach Boys were anything but that. Yeah, they could only rebel so much under the yoke of such fatherly repression. But I looked at them AT THAT TIME and all I saw was conformity. They were safe for the parents. Does that make sense?
Sure that makes sense, but I usually don't have any problem seeing the point you are trying to make. That's not to say that I agree with you, but I catch your drift. And that's what it's all about - understanding another person's perspective.

For me (and probably many others) the BB sound simply worked on some higher level. I was only 6 or 7 when I first heard them, so I wasn't at all about analyzing them. I just knew that they sounded more exciting than Pat Boone, Connie Francis, or Frank Sinatra. But of course they didn't trump The Rays (Silhouettes), Bobby Darin (Wild One), or The Tornados (Telstar). That would happen later, along with The Beatles & the British invasion.
Old 22nd November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sorry. I think the Beach Boy lyrics are among the worst ever. God Only Knows, Good Vibrations, etc are some of the best constructed pop songs musically ever though. Just to balance things out. IMHO.

But "two girls for every boy" is a little silly. A naive America that never really was.
That was Jan and Dean.
Old 22nd November 2007
Here for the gear

Oh man!

Pet sounds is the album that changed my life
Old 22nd November 2007
Lives for gear

My good friend Tim Smolens has spent several years putting together a great arraignment of SMiLE

here's a link to a PDF explaining SMiLE in his words:

SMiLE TSV6
Old 22nd November 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
That was Jan and Dean.
OMG -- if you read the thread you'd see that this has been covered many times. Also I commented that though it was Jan and Dean, it was Brian Wilsons song and production. Had BB written al over it.
Old 22nd November 2007
I have a strange, hybrid cassette somewhere that's one side Jan and Dean, the other side the Beach Boys, and there are like two versions of every song almost... I understand they were all buddies, back in the day.

So sad that Jan crashed his car near Dead Man's Curve.... wow, this is stirring up memories, I just remembered seeing Dean Torrance at, what, Magic Mountain sometime early in the 70's?
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Ironic. Life imitating art.

No flames intended, Henry. As always, I respect your right to your opinion. Keep calling them like you see them. That's what keeps things interesting.
Old 7th December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Niedt View Post
I love the lyrics to "God Only Knows". And I love the album Pet Sounds. thumbsup
how about the melody, it's pretty wonderful
Old 7th December 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer View Post
She always sounded a little thin to me.

sorry----

Karen Carpenter was an 'amazing' drummer and Lennon was 'among the worst' guitarists. Thanks, I needed a good laugh.
I never dug her voice either, although it was the syrupy quality that got to me. I've tried liking them b/c the tunes are great and I really like the product but I can't get past her voice. I don't know why. It's like that with Ann Murray, too.

As for her drumming..."amazing"? Really? I think Bun E Carlos and Joe Morello are pretty amazing; I'd have to see some of this footage of Karen Carpenter to believe she was anything more than tasteful or adequate.
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Dennis provided a great backbeat that went away entirely with session players. Youtube displays this important factor, thank God.
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
APOHStudios - That's good. But I don't understand "make the rhythm easy to find." I've never had any trouble "finding" the rhythm. What does that mean?
Compare Beach Boy lyrics to Rich Mullins lyrics. Rich smashed as many syllables into a line as possible. It sounds clunky and awkward and does not flow.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search